real world mpg in ecoboost 4x4 - Page 13 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

real world mpg in ecoboost 4x4

Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Busa01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner View Post
That is just amazing! All while clicking off 75mph. You must be a happy camper!!
Coming from a Dodge Charger Hemi 5.7, I really couldn't be happier with this car. I'm amazed. I bought it for the good gas mileage it claimed to get so I can load it up with mountain bikes and take trips from South Florida into the Smokey's. I just couldn't do this with the Charger.

The Edge EB is also fun to drive because motor is so sports-carish. It chirps the tires when it shifts from 1st to 2nd.

I bought the car out of necessity and didn't think I was going to like it as much as I do.

I'm very unexpectedly happy with the Edge.

Tom

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM
jimk55124
Junior User
jimk55124 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I drive 75mph I'll get between 28 and 32, depending on which way the wind is blowing, with my Edge EB with 20k miles.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

You brought up a good point and that is "wind". I found that wind direction appears to make a couple of mpg difference. I don't know what Ford uses as a guide speed for best mileage when they design a vehicle but I suspect it may be the average max speed limit around the country which would probably put it around 65-70 mph in most areas. It wouldn't make any sense to make it a speed very few people drive. Mileage would include things like aerodynamics, rear gear ratio, tranny gear ratios, tire size, weight, etc. I have an '02 taurus with the 3.0 that gets 30 mpg at 70-73 mpg, then starts dropping off as I increase speed. At 68 mph I see 31-32 mpg, depending on the wind. It would stand to reason the car is designed to get the best mileage around 70 mph. I suspect we'd get better mileage at 80 if we had 2.90 rear gears but then we wouldn't be happy with the performance. It's a compromise.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM
JetFuelBurner
Senior User
JetFuelBurner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Our most common road trips are Atlanta to Louisville/S. Indiana and Atlanta to Hilton Head SC. ATL-IN is moderately hilly and we do it a few times to half a dozen times a year. We'll be doing it towing about half the time now. ATL to HXD is flat. We do it the same amount as ATL - IN. We will do it towing about the same...half the time. I hand calculate my mileage and as the Expy book says, if you go 500mi or more, the avg mileage #'s are accurate. Less than 500mi and they are skewed. I track both directions and if you average them out, that takes wind out of the equation. Additionally, both trips switch from N/S to E/W and back over the route. This also averages out the wind. I keep a record of each trip, miles, fuel, mileage and tow vs non tow.

I have a year to two years before I'll be upgrading my truck and I'm still looking at all options. I'm even toying with the idea of converting my '00 SD 5.4 Ext Cab 6.5 Box 4X4 from gas to deisel. When I have the time (usually on long overnights while on the road) I will be scouring these boards paying close attention to the EB mileage #'s as well as the diesel and gas F250SD's. High $30's to $40's to even flirting with $50k is a LOT of coin to drop on a truck. I will not be buying new. I can not justify that initial depreciation. Whatever I decide, it will likely be with me for 10-15 years at the least.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Busa01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know about the EB, it's not rated to tow anything heavier than a jet ski.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Lmuehr
New User
Lmuehr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am really concerned about the fuel mileage of my EB as well. I have pretty much averaged 15.5 hwy or city. I have the 3.73 and 4 wd. When I tow it stays above 13 and I have towed some loads on a trailer around 8500. Pulls great. Just don't like the fuel mileage when tow free on the hwy.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM
jstiff76
New User
jstiff76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
low fuel mileage 2011 eb 4x4 supercrew

I recently purchased a 2011 eb 4x4 super crew and I am wondering why I am only getting 13-15mpg on interstate. I get better mpg in city driving or back roads running 55mph @ 22mpg. That is bass ackwards from the sticker. So my question is what do I need to have checked? The truck only has 62k miles on it. I shouldn't have to replace O2 sensers this early should I? Even on my trips from Alabama to Missouri one way 560 miles my best is @14.5mpg. That sucks!!! I am going to start running Amsoil in it on next oil change and see if that helps any. Also was thinking of running a less restrictive exhaust and air intake.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.
2012 Eboost Screw 5.5 XLT 4x4 3.73. 20-21 highway, 18.5 mixed. We dont drive in town continuously enough to measure it.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
jimk55124
Junior User
jimk55124 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jstiff76 View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 eb 4x4 super crew and I am wondering why I am only getting 13-15mpg on interstate. I get better mpg in city driving or back roads running 55mph @ 22mpg. That is bass ackwards from the sticker. So my question is what do I need to have checked? The truck only has 62k miles on it. I shouldn't have to replace O2 sensers this early should I? Even on my trips from Alabama to Missouri one way 560 miles my best is @14.5mpg. That sucks!!! I am going to start running Amsoil in it on next oil change and see if that helps any. Also was thinking of running a less restrictive exhaust and air intake.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I only have 15M on mine but here is my experience. You didn't say how fast you are driving on the interstate. I have a '11 FX4 SC EB with 3.73's and I average around 21 mpg consistently on the highway as long as I keep it 70 mph or under. Go over 70 and the mileage starts dropping significantly. I have seen as high as 25 mpg in a 50 zone. Wind is another factor that can lower mileage or raise it if you're going the right direction. I'm usually going the wrong direction but i still get 18 or better. keep in mind that every aftermarket thing you hang on the truck will also decrease your mileage by messing up the airflow. Parasitic drag, if you will. I don't even have boards on mine. I use the cruise a lot. I've noticed that when I set the cruise, the instant mileage readout increases and I thought I had a pretty steady foot but the computer does a better job. I also use a mid-grade gas (89) and never use e-85 because I've seen some posts that mileage will drop 5 mpg and my truck info says not to use it anyway. Check your air filter too. A dirty filter or the wrong filter doesn't allow enough air into the engine. You should get a light if the O2 sensor is bad. Tire size could be causing a problem if you have a different size without reprograming the computer...it could change your final drive ratio. One other thing I've read here is to turn off the sway control but i don't know if that's really a problem because it doesn't seem to affect mine one way or the other....but it may be worth a try.

I would caution you to be careful spending a lot of money on aftermarket stuff for the engine. Check with guys who have tried it first. Sometimes you can hurt the performance. There always seems to something you can do to enhance performance but I suspect Ford has done a lot of testing and tuning of things like the intake and exhaust to get reliable performance and life out of the engine, which keep in mind, is only 214 cubes. It does peform pretty well right out of the box. I sure wouldn't want to have to replace or rebuild this engine! $$$$

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
jstiff76
New User
jstiff76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jimk55124 View Post
I only have 15M on mine but here is my experience. You didn't say how fast you are driving on the interstate. I have a '11 FX4 SC EB with 3.73's and I average around 21 mpg consistently on the highway as long as I keep it 70 mph or under. Go over 70 and the mileage starts dropping significantly. I have seen as high as 25 mpg in a 50 zone. Wind is another factor that can lower mileage or raise it if you're going the right direction. I'm usually going the wrong direction but i still get 18 or better. keep in mind that every aftermarket thing you hang on the truck will also decrease your mileage by messing up the airflow. Parasitic drag, if you will. I don't even have boards on mine. I use the cruise a lot. I've noticed that when I set the cruise, the instant mileage readout increases and I thought I had a pretty steady foot but the computer does a better job. I also use a mid-grade gas (89) and never use e-85 because I've seen some posts that mileage will drop 5 mpg and my truck info says not to use it anyway. Check your air filter too. A dirty filter or the wrong filter doesn't allow enough air into the engine. You should get a light if the O2 sensor is bad. Tire size could be causing a problem if you have a different size without reprograming the computer...it could change your final drive ratio. One other thing I've read here is to turn off the sway control but i don't know if that's really a problem because it doesn't seem to affect mine one way or the other....but it may be worth a try.

I would caution you to be careful spending a lot of money on aftermarket stuff for the engine. Check with guys who have tried it first. Sometimes you can hurt the performance. There always seems to something you can do to enhance performance but I suspect Ford has done a lot of testing and tuning of things like the intake and exhaust to get reliable performance and life out of the engine, which keep in mind, is only 214 cubes. It does peform pretty well right out of the box. I sure wouldn't want to have to replace or rebuild this engine! $$$$

Good luck.
Thanks for the info Jim!

I saw yesterday on youtube where Stacy David from (Gears TV Show)
did a exhaust swap and intake swap to unleash an extra @ 38hp. As for the Amsoil I am a dealer and I have noticed mpg gains on my wife's 2011 Yukon 5.3 granted she has the engine management system that shuts off four cylinders while cruising above 70.

I have been runnung 89 octane since I bought it and as for my speed I was running @75-80 which obviously is not good for mpg on this truck. Maybe I will start driving like grand paw.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM
YTownJP
New User
YTownJP is starting off with a positive reputation.
2013 FX4 SCREW 3.55 gears. 17.5 avg mpg without any special driving considerations. 19.5 Highway. Sensitive to headwinds and grade change. Love the truck. Love it. 4" hearthrob coming this week. Those of you wanting to do the air intake please read the thread about K & N. it appears you may want to avoid it. I don't want to void my warranty so I'm staying away from the air intake. My local dealer said that there are no worries with the CAT back exhaust but the intake was risky because of it possibly being able to be traced to a problem.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 PM
YTownJP
New User
YTownJP is starting off with a positive reputation.
BTW. Did the heartthrob. Good sound and like the performance but I tow and don't like the drone at 2200 rpm. If anyone is interested in it let me know.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
David Gordon
Junior User
David Gordon is starting off with a positive reputation.
2013 4 by 4 w/ 3.55 gears and 20,000 miles-average 16 and about 18.5 hwy.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM
paschman2000
Junior User
paschman2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome MPG

2013 4x4, SuperCrew w/ 6.5' Bed or 157" WB, 1050 Miles to date, 3.73 Rear, COMBINED at 17.7 calculated at the pump! 20-21 on the highway at 60 MPH. I love this truck! Will be towing a 10,500# (wet) trailer in two Fridays, really curious to see how she does compared to my previous 08 5.4L.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM
johndeerefarmer
Posting Guru
johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by paschman2000 View Post
2013 4x4, SuperCrew w/ 6.5' Bed or 157" WB, 1050 Miles to date, 3.73 Rear, COMBINED at 17.7 calculated at the pump! 20-21 on the highway at 60 MPH. I love this truck! Will be towing a 10,500# (wet) trailer in two Fridays, really curious to see how she does compared to my previous 08 5.4L.
what size tires and wheels do you have?

Old 09-16-2013, 05:01 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Brandon D is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Brandon D is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
'13 FX4 Screw 4x4 with 3.55's. I have 8000km on truck and have hand calculated every tank since day 1. Pretty much only highway driving at 75-80mph, avg of 18 MPG with last 2 tanks being at 19 and 19.5. Liking the truck so far but missing the stable feeling of the '08 F350 6.4 that I got rid of, I guess I'll get used to this one over time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: real world mpg in ecoboost 4x4

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: