Can E85 damage engine if never used in past? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Reload this Page >

Can E85 damage engine if never used in past?

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Can E85 damage engine if never used in past?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM
drjoe171
Senior User
drjoe171 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Biggest complaint around here is stable crud in the gas tank etc breaking loose after 20 years because of the alcohol.

Not uncommon to change fuel filters a few times according to the napa auto parts.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:37 PM
BillsVX
New User
BillsVX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power increase on E85....

I've had my 2008 F-150 XLT 4X4 Super Cab (5.4L Flex Fuel) for a bit over a year. I make a few trips per year to Ohio, and W.Va. from the Florida panhandle. E85 is fairly readily available in those areas but, Not down here where I live...Pretty much non-existent. Have to go nearly to Montgomery to find it or, down into Central/South Florida. I was told by a few people that have used it, to try and get it when you're nearly empty and run it out because of the moisture affinity. Don't let it sit for long periods with it, etc. And I have done that. When I do run E85, I experience a noticeable increase in power and it runs great. Engine smooths out nicely. It's not normally a shaker but, the E85 does make it smoother. Of course, the mileage goes down a bit from 15-16 down to 12-13. Price of it is usually about 60 - 80 cents cheaper sometimes more. Mileage & cost kind of balance out for the distances in the mountains, etc.
Mainly though, I Love that power increase. When I'm back on regular gasoline...the power drops off. A bit disappointing at times after having it there...Anyone else experience this...?
I recently had the plugs replaced in it and am soon to take a trip North again. Picked up a mile and a half per gallon so far after the plug change (16-17.5MPG which I'm not complaining about). Before they were changed, on straight gasoline mileage was 14-16. Haven't run E85 yet since the plug change. Wanting to see if I still get the same power increase on this upcoming trip at the end of the month.
Only mods I have are a Cold air intake with a Conical air filter and dual exhaust with welded steel type (Thrush is what they look to be) mufflers, 2 & 1/4" pipes all the way from the cats. Everything else is stock. Currently has 110K miles on it. No codes being thrown. Ford dealer did the plug change...I just didn't have time to mess with it, being a known plug breaker. Plus, I had it there for the heater core replacement at the same time...Good thing for the extended warranty ... would have cost well over $2K for that repair alone.
I'll not have another of these F-150's after this one. I do like it and it is a very nice truck but, can't justify shelling out nearly $1K for every repair on it. Plugs were $565. Rental vehicle was $700 because the repair(s) went over a weekend. Yeah, pretty much got ***-raped on the rental but, have to get to work and back and had to take the only vehicle that they had available...the most expensive one. I live 31 miles one way from work. I'll find a cheaper rate next time if possible but, timing isn't always on your side.
My '97 F-250 Heavy Duty 5.8L w/245K miles on it, needs head gaskets (not currently running) and is a far better towing vehicle than this one will ever be. I have a 28ft. RV (weighing in at about 7500lbs) that I tow occasionally. "Old Whitey" does a good job with it. This truck ... I just don't think is quite up to that task and the F-250, was built for that kind of work. When I can get some other things in order...it will be fixed and back on the road.
Again, my basic question, when running E85, is anyone else getting a noticeable increase in power?
Sorry for the long post.