Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

power steering pulley is to far out

Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
loseboltssinkships
Freshman User
loseboltssinkships is starting off with a positive reputation.
power steering pulley is to far out

my power steering pump pulley is to far out and is out of line of the other pulley which is ripping up my belt. how do i fix this?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Ed Bamba
Elder User
Ed Bamba is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm going to assume that you just replaced the pump, and maybe used a Parts Store loaner puller/installer tool, or an aftermarket tool. When I replaced my pump, I used a loaner tool from AZ. Couldn't get the pulley far enough back to keep the belt from running up onto the pulley. After numerous failed attempts in pressing the pulley further onto the pump shaft, I simply used one of the large washers that came with the tool kit and pressed further onto the shaft.

I did this by placing the washer between the tool and the pulley. Had to make sure that the washer was centered on the pulley to keep it from pushing on the shaft. A few turns on the wrench and after hearing a light pop, the pulley was pressed another 1/16-1/8" further onto the shaft. Reinstalled the belt and the problem solved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.