Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

16" rims on f150?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Brandon, I tell people on FTE if they can't afford to do a gear swap they shouldn't get large tires.

Your fuel milage will suck. Your truck will have no guts.

Just save up a little bit more dough for some 4.10's. By the way you're making the right desicsion by sticking with 33's and not 35 inch tires.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 PM
So-Cal Sancho
Senior User
So-Cal Sancho is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
sorry not to get off topic but i love the look of your rims. almost stock. I'm going that route myself. i bought the the truck with some nice looking fat tires but i want to get back to stock dimensions and factory rims are just way too expensive even used. so i'm going that route. aftermarket 8 hole 16x7.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
jsalveson
Junior User
jsalveson is starting off with a positive reputation.
These are what I have in 17" and red rings. They look like a stock rim but with a beadlock.

4X4 Wheels

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Mark Wenner
Senior User
Mark Wenner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I don't see 16" tires being cheaper than comparably-sized 15" tires (at least not yet, that will doubtless change as 15" wheels become antiques). You have more choices in both wheels and tires in 16" and larger sizes these days, but I don't see the cheaper part - metric sizes comparable to traditional 15" floatation sizes are almost always more expensive from what I can tell. Plus, those bigger metric sizes are almost always load range D or E, which I wouldn't want on a half-ton truck, anyway. All that so say, I guess I don't really see much advantage to going the 16" route here.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mark Wenner View Post
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I don't see 16" tires being cheaper than comparably-sized 15" tires (at least not yet, that will doubtless change as 15" wheels become antiques). You have more choices in both wheels and tires in 16" and larger sizes these days, but I don't see the cheaper part - metric sizes comparable to traditional 15" floatation sizes are almost always more expensive from what I can tell. Plus, those bigger metric sizes are almost always load range D or E, which I wouldn't want on a half-ton truck, anyway. All that so say, I guess I don't really see much advantage to going the 16" route here.
Maybe not in your area, but here all I have to do is walk into any tire shop and point. 16"s are cheaper than 15"s for the most part. There are a few odd-ball occasions.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
70torino429 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What kinda rims are you looking for .. ?

Dodge ram's have the same bolt pattern, I ran some spare 16" Dodge steelies from my '99 Ram on the back of my truck when they were all I had to get me by for a while and they bolt right on.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
My 16x10s cost me $115 each from Jegs.

I have a 4 inch lift(with a spacer under the springs, so its more like a 5) but I run 37s.

And yes, it is cheaper to find 16s in bigger sizes than 15s.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 70torino429 View Post
What kinda rims are you looking for .. ?

Dodge ram's have the same bolt pattern, I ran some spare 16" Dodge steelies from my '99 Ram on the back of my truck when they were all I had to get me by for a while and they bolt right on.
What years of dodges all have the 5x5.5" pattern? I am very interested in finding some junkyard rims so I can run 16"s.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 6CylBill View Post
Brandon, I tell people on FTE if they can't afford to do a gear swap they shouldn't get large tires.

Your fuel milage will suck. Your truck will have no guts.

Just save up a little bit more dough for some 4.10's. By the way you're making the right desicsion by sticking with 33's and not 35 inch tires.
Truth is I have the money for the regear, I am just cheap and trying to spend as little money as possible. I was just hoping I could get away from regearing it, becuase that would mean another weekend I will have to tear my truck apart..

Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
So ur doing a lift, tires, wheels, but don't want to spend $ on a regear?

A basic kit is only $500, add wheels, tires, and around $500 to regear, and have a good performing pickup when ur done, I personally think its worth it.

If you do it all in one weekend it wouldn't be so bad.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
70torino429 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by big-ugly View Post
What years of dodges all have the 5x5.5" pattern? I am very interested in finding some junkyard rims so I can run 16"s.
I know for a fact 94-01 does.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
With my busy schedule it is nearly impossible to do all of that in one weekend. You have to take in to account that I will be using my dad's shop (meaning I will want his help, meaning he has to be available as well) and I have to work at least one day every weekend, leaving me friday night, and either saturday or sunday, at most.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Thanks for that info! Should be pretty easy to find a set of stock ram wheels here.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
FYI. 90% of the 15" rims and tires will be cheaper than 16".

I dont know where you got your info that 16" is cheaper

Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
But unless the center is machined out they will not work on a F150

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 16" rims on f150?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.