Anybody ever had the romps at 74*F? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever had the romps at 74*F?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Elder User

KJNDIVER has a very good reputation on FTE.KJNDIVER has a very good reputation on FTE.KJNDIVER has a very good reputation on FTE.
Anybody ever had the romps at 74*F?

Happened to me today. Cranked truck this morning (60ish) fine, drove it a bit to parents house, nothing out of the ordinary. Drove around town for an hour or so about midday, everything fine. Parked and shut off about 1:15. Went to get in it again at 5:30 with outside temp at about 74* according to display, and it romped like it did on me when it was 19*. New oil with about 2000miles(Delvac), had already ran flawlessly several times earlier in the day, and romped at 74*. Never did that with Rotella. Not saying its the oil, just weird, thought Id share.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Posting Guru

Ziggy. has a great reputation on FTE.Ziggy. has a great reputation on FTE.Ziggy. has a great reputation on FTE.Ziggy. has a great reputation on FTE.
Sounds like a sticking IPR to me. Did it do it again after that? or have you tried it yet?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Molon Labe

Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
I did once on my way to work, truck was warmed up and I stopped for coffee. Came out and it romped for the first time ever
It was in the 70's out, and It was fully warmed up with synthetic oil.....
I it was just a fluke I cant explain.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Elder User

KJNDIVER has a very good reputation on FTE.KJNDIVER has a very good reputation on FTE.KJNDIVER has a very good reputation on FTE.
It ran a lil rough after the romps stopped, for maybe a min or two, then acted right. When i left where i was to come back home, it cranked fine and ran fine. Will see in the morning if it does it again.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Do you have access to a good scan tool? I would be real curious to see what your baro reading is.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Elder User

Have been meaning to get together with Rick with his AE as he is only a few miles from me, but we just havent hooked up yet.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNDIVER View Post
Have been meaning to get together with Rick with his AE as he is only a few miles from me, but we just havent hooked up yet.
Cool. Curious to see if your symptoms return.

Oh yeah, to answer your original question...the only time my truck has ever had the romps was about 70 degrees at 7500 ft altitude. Started fine in colder temps at lower elevations but sure was cold blooded at high altitude until I replaced the glow plugs.

Do your parents live at high altitude?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Elder User

homesteader is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck does it at sea level and 80 deg. When I start it up it rumps but not real bad,but not all the time. I also notice it was rumping after getting of the throttle especially heavy throttle. Could it be my IPR sticking? Got a rebuild kit on the way.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Postmaster

orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Mine does it from time to time when I have my DP Tuner on stock. Never happened with a tune set. Always thought that was wierd.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Post Fiend

Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
What oil? Mine only romped in semi-warm temps (50s) once, and that was on Delo. I'll never run it again.

EDIT: Never mind -- I missed the Delvac in parentheses.... Never tried that oil, but after straying from Rotella once, I won't do it again, unless it's Schaeffer 7000/9000.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi!

DemonRace6 has a very good reputation on FTE.DemonRace6 has a very good reputation on FTE.DemonRace6 has a very good reputation on FTE.DemonRace6 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mine does it if I shut it down on WVO and leave it for 10+ hrs in 50*F weather. Never has done it to me on diesel tho. I just figured it was the cold WVO.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior User

Night Crawler is starting off with a positive reputation.
mine only romps in sub freezing weather on a cold start, never heard of it in warm weather. And I have about 15 7.3's of friends and families I deal with
Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Post Fiend

Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRace6 View Post
Mine does it if I shut it down on WVO and leave it for 10+ hrs in 50*F weather. Never has done it to me on diesel tho. I just figured it was the cold WVO.
I thought WVO would get way too thick in the fuel passages if left to get cold and should NEVER be done???
Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Postmaster

bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.
Damon I've experienced it. Thought it was part of my lpop being weak but with all that's gone on I can't tell you if it's fixed or not. I can bring my ae over one day if you want. Ricks monitor may still be out on his laptop.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi!

DemonRace6 has a very good reputation on FTE.DemonRace6 has a very good reputation on FTE.DemonRace6 has a very good reputation on FTE.DemonRace6 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy351 View Post
I thought WVO would get way too thick in the fuel passages if left to get cold and should NEVER be done???
Thats what some people say, I have been running it for 3 years now and if the weather is going to be 50*+ I never run diesel. I have even left it over night when it has gotten to 30* out and it just romped for a few seconds and then was fine.

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >