Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anybody ever had the romps at 74*F?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DemonRace6
Thats what some people say, I have been running it for 3 years now and if the weather is going to be 50*+ I never run diesel. I have even left it over night when it has gotten to 30* out and it just romped for a few seconds and then was fine.
Wow! I was under the impression the fuel needed to be around 130 or so. Maybe that's when it burns it's best?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bulla
Wow! I was under the impression the fuel needed to be around 130 or so. Maybe that's when it burns it's best?
My truck loves it when the engine is hot and the fuel is cold. (meaning 50* - 110* is cold) That is when I get the best performance I think. But when the fuel is at 140* it runs great too.

As long as the grease is clean it runs great.

I'm giving you guys the secrect to saving $$$$ right here

Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, maybe I should add some diesel to the oil...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gchavez
Cool. Curious to see if your symptoms return.

Oh yeah, to answer your original question...the only time my truck has ever had the romps was about 70 degrees at 7500 ft altitude. Started fine in colder temps at lower elevations but sure was cold blooded at high altitude until I replaced the glow plugs.

Do your parents live at high altitude?
Everything started and ran fine today. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing. Its sure to raise its head again as it gets on in age.

Define high altitude. Its all relative i guess. Down in south La., the slab of parents house sits at about 8ft above sea level. But after a few hurricanes with some flooding you gotta do what you gotta do (this is the only pic i had easily available, this was the beginning of the lift of the house up to 12ft above the slab.) Where I come from, thats living at "high altitude".

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KJNDIVER
Everything started and ran fine today. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing. Its sure to raise its head again as it gets on in age.

Define high altitude. Its all relative i guess. Down in south La., the slab of parents house sits at about 8ft above sea level. But after a few hurricanes with some flooding you gotta do what you gotta do (this is the only pic i had easily available, this was the beginning of the lift of the house up to 12ft above the slab.) Where I come from, thats living at "high altitude".

Impressive project.

I was thinking 6000 ft plus as high altitude myself. I've been through Louisiana once or twice and I don't remember seeing any mountains but then again I didn't venture too far inland.

I thought it to be super strange that my truck would have such a hard time starting in the middle of the Arizona summer in the high country but never gave me any trouble during the winter down at lower elevations. I figure the PCM must use the baro value to meter the fuel for that to happen. As far as I know, there isn't a stand alone baro sensor anywhere so I imagine it must be integrated in the PCM but I'm not really too sure.

I have a lot to learn about the programming of these engines but I imagine that temp isn't the only factor that can cause the romps. To me, it seems like a timing related thing...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool pic Damon! Even me living down here my whole life ive never seen one getting a lift kit, that's gotta be a sight to see.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
that is a cool pic. i would not wont the do it.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

It does seem a bit outta place. House was builtin '80, flooded two weeks after moving in, flooded for Rita in 05, flooded for Ike in 08, about a foot higher than Rita. Mom said enough was enough. It was a cool project. Did as much of the work ourselves as we could. Started by stripping walls 4ft and down, the run 2x12's around entire inside of house at that level for beams to hold the weight, cut all anchors to the slab, lifted her up, set poles in ground underneath her, built floor under the house, lowered house down on floor and "reattached the house" lol. Started in Dec 08, moved back in June 09. Now is fully equipped with a home built elevator to boot.