1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Leaking T-Stat housing - Updated with Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Leaking T-Stat housing - Updated with Pics!

OK, so I thought I had a lower o-ring on my waterpump going out but it's the t-stat housing/seal that is leaking. I ordered the billet style from Bob at Dieselsite and will grab a OEM T-stat from the dealer this week. What is the final procedure to seal up the billet housing to the waterpump? I've read so much but I cannot understand the final answer. Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Stuff a rag in the neck, completely sealing it. Get a file and true up the mounting surface where the housing mounts. Vacuum all the particles out of the rag and remove the rag. RTV the housing, let it set up a little bit, then install it in your truck.

Or you can just RTV the housing and forget the filing part.

Stewart

Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The manual says 15 ft/lbs for those three small bolts. Make sure they are all torqued the same so the o-ring seals evenly. I have only used the stock housing and have never had it be the cause for a leak and I use no type of rtv/sealant.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Like Robin says......even torque applied will help the seal seat properly.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
I use Right stuff gasket maker which is a rubber based gasket in a pressurized can. It works great, and can be put back into service immediately. Make sure you get the NEW Ford thermo which has an updated gasket with that is formed onto both sides of the thermostat. Makes the square cut gasket and leaks obsolete as the new design sandwiches the gasket on either side!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by camodown
I use Right stuff gasket maker which is a rubber based gasket in a pressurized can. It works great, and can be put back into service immediately. Make sure you get the NEW Ford thermo which has an updated gasket with that is formed onto both sides of the thermostat. Makes the square cut gasket and leaks obsolete as the new design sandwiches the gasket on either side!
i also suggest the right stuff gasket maker in the pressurized can. it awesome and sets in like 5 minutes........

Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I resealed my stock housing with a new O-ring and blue RTV when I did my water pump. Evenly torqued the bolts too. Zero leaks...

Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Or you can just get a new OE housing and skip the RTV. The new housing and stat I got sealed up very nicely.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Like Robin says......even torque applied will help the seal seat properly.
Sometimes that doesn't work when using the Dieselsite billet aluminum housing, according to some who have reported leaking.

I consider myself lucky. Years ago when I did the water pump on my Ex and put on the billet housing, I did the even torque method and my housing doesn't leak.

I do need to take mine off though to swap in a stock thermo for the 203* degree I have in there now. When I do, I'll probably use RTV when I put it back together.

Stewart

Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another DS billet user here, with the *203. That billet housing DS sells is a nice compliment to you motor compartment Chris but mine did seep two times until I black hi-temp Permatex'ed it, not one leak since.. You'll be happy..

Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
Or you can just get a new OE housing and skip the RTV. The new housing and stat I got sealed up very nicely.
I just checked my old one to make sure the bottom was flat and even, wire brushed (they get plenty funky), painted and re-installed.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
I just checked my old one to make sure the bottom was flat and even, wire brushed (they get plenty funky), painted and re-installed.
I basicly did the same thing, but added a small amount of RTV on the w/p housing where the t-stat housing sits (none on the gasket). I have the 195* Motorcraft t-stat with the updated gasket.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Heres the difference between the two, stock versus DieselSite's housings in case anybody was wondering. This is the rustic mess Robin speaks of. Don't mind the date on the pic, the date got screwed up.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Originally Posted by big poppa
Heres the difference between the two, stock versus DieselSite's housings in case anybody was wondering. This is the rustic mess Robin speaks of. Don't mind the date on the pic, the date got screwed up.
This is the condition of my current housing. It's amazing that it still holds water under pressure. So black permatex and even torque is the best bet?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
This is the condition of my current housing. It's amazing that it still holds water under pressure. So black permatex and even torque is the best bet?
Yep, you'll be golden just make sure to just get it on the mating surfaces, around the ends not near the gaskets. I also let the truck sit overnite to cure so there was any coolant mixing up with the Permatex.....

Quick Reply: Leaking T-Stat housing - Updated with Pics!