1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

New Air ride compressor not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:51 PM
2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Air ride compressor not turning on

Just swapped out compressor and the relay that is located in the passenger's side wheel well, and it still wont cycle. I think I checked all fuses, but could have missed one.

The rear is all the way down. Any suggestions on what would cause it not to kick on? Maybe a list of fuses and relay locations to check.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 AM
2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Freshman User
Anybody???????

Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Any suggestions on what would cause it not to kick on?
I'm not overly knowledgeable with the air suspensions systems, but maybe the hight sensors have a problem and are not sending the signal to inflate.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM
dsm1mar
New User
I'm new to this sight and really like what I've seen so far but wanted to ask. I have 1999 Ford Expedition EB 4x4 and at 176,000 the air ride is finally giving me fits. Last week I purchased a pump and installed it but after doing so haven't been able to get it to run. I know the pump works because I read through the post on here last night on how to bypass the pump and it worked. So was thinking it might be the relay especially after pulling them and seeing some corrosion on the posts.

QUESTION: I noticed there are two relays near the compressor and I believe both of them are the same so can I just "swap" them to test if one is bad? Also, is there anything special I need to do after installing a relay? Called Ford and they are $130 but don't want to buy one just to find out it's not the relay causing the problem. Any other ideas as to what is causing this? I have tested all the fuses as well.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE dsm1mar. Try contacting Eddie @ American Air: Parts built for the long haul....not just the warranty period!

He is also a member here on the site.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm1mar
I'm new to this sight and really like what I've seen so far but wanted to ask. I have 1999 Ford Expedition EB 4x4 and at 176,000 the air ride is finally giving me fits. Last week I purchased a pump and installed it but after doing so haven't been able to get it to run. I know the pump works because I read through the post on here last night on how to bypass the pump and it worked. So was thinking it might be the relay especially after pulling them and seeing some corrosion on the posts.

QUESTION: I noticed there are two relays near the compressor and I believe both of them are the same so can I just "swap" them to test if one is bad? Also, is there anything special I need to do after installing a relay? Called Ford and they are $130 but don't want to buy one just to find out it's not the relay causing the problem. Any other ideas as to what is causing this? I have tested all the fuses as well.
If both relays are the finned aluminum types they are most likely the same. The relay for the suspension is behind the driving light on the passenger side. It would be a good idea to know what the other relay is for and to make certain it is good before trying it as a test.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 PM
dsm1mar
New User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
If both relays are the finned aluminum types they are most likely the same. The relay for the suspension is behind the driving light on the passenger side. It would be a good idea to know what the other relay is for and to make certain it is good before trying it as a test.
The relays are exactly the same because they have the same code. I just swapped them and no luck. I do hear a clicking on the motor of the compressor and can feel the motor "ticking" every once in a while so I know it's trying. Can't remember if I mentioned it but I didn't by pass the relay and the compressor worked. I keep thinking I may have to remove the system completely but now I'm in for $190 because of the "new" compressor.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Where did you buy the compressor?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 PM
dsm1mar
New User
Where did you buy the compressor?
I purchased it online from Suncore since that was the only site that I could find one that would fit the existing system. Didn't know about this site nor the person suggested before.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Just swapped out compressor and the relay that is located in the passenger's side wheel well,
The compressor relay is not in the wheel well. It is on the front support between the front support and the front bumper, at about the same height as the headlight. It is a solid state relay with a finned aluminum heat sink, about 2 inches square - runs $110 + at the Ford dealer. I'm assuming that's the one you swapped out?

@*$%&#!!. Delete this post, I'm getting the two posters confused - my bad!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Did you get a warrantee with the compressor?
I only buy American Air Suspension's products and I don't know of anyone that is unsatisfied with their stuff. It sounds like there will be an internal problem with that compressor. You need to return it for a refund or replacement. If you get a refund ,buy a compressor from Eddie Spinks at American Air.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 PM
dsm1mar
New User
Did you get a warrantee with the compressor?
I only buy American Air Suspension's products and I don't know of anyone that is unsatisfied with their stuff. It sounds like there will be an internal problem with that compressor. You need to return it for a refund or replacement. If you get a refund ,buy a compressor from Eddie Spinks at American Air.
Yes there is a 1 year warranty for sure.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM
dsm1mar
New User
Originally Posted by pdqford
The compressor relay is not in the wheel well. It is on the front support between the front support and the front bumper, at about the same height as the headlight. It is a solid state relay with a finned aluminum heat sink, about 2 inches square - runs $110 + at the Ford dealer. I'm assuming that's the one you swapped out?

@*$%&#!!. Delete this post, I'm getting the two posters confused - my bad!
Thanks for the reply but I am pretty sure I have the correct relay. Mine are in a yellow mount and have 5 prongs on each but the outer case is made of plastic. One set of wires goes to the head light and I believe the other is for the compressor. They were located near the passenger front headlight. I can go back out and pull the code printed on it just to be sure but I can't find anything else that would look like a relay.

Also, I put a tester on the two big wires and was getting juice in both relay mounts....

Old 04-16-2011, 08:44 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
I know the pump works because I read through the post on here last night on how to bypass the pump and it worked.
Could you describe how you were able to "bypass the pump and it worked"?

So was thinking it might be the relay especially after pulling them and seeing some corrosion on the posts.
"after pulling THEM"? I didn't know there were TWO compressor relays. As far as I know there is one solid state relay with a finned aluminum heat sink about 2 inches square - around $110 + at the Ford dealer. I wouldn't call this relay "near the compressor", well maybe it is, but the compressor is accessed from under the hood, but the compressor relay is accessed from underneath the truck, behind the front bumper, at about the height of the headlight, and is mounted to the front support. Is this where you found TWO identical relays?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Called Ford and they are $130 but don't want to buy one just to find out it's not the relay causing the problem. Any other ideas as to what is causing this?
Pull out your DMM, unplug the compressor relay, and check the harness side of the relay connector to see if there is any voltage available on the light blue/pink stripped wire's pin. This wire should be hot at all times. What reading did you get?

Quick Reply: New Air ride compressor not turning on