1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

GREAAAATTTT... Just what i needed

Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 AM
TheHarrWay
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GREAAAATTTT... Just what i needed

So im driving to work this morning when a pretentious ******* in a Land Rover cut me off when breaking and then gave ME the finger. So i kinda let 2nd gear out a little hard( accelerating from the stop sign). When i did i heard a POP, the truck now refuses to go more than a heavy idle......

i can get it up to 30 or so, just using the idle. however when i shove the throttle down and push it to go, it vibrates hard through what feels like the drive-train, but i cant tell( it vibrates the whole truck)... FML i just got it insured and driving... anyone ever have this problem????

Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its really something how people become such a tuff little toaster when they get behind the wheel. it always seemed to me that down there people are so laid back. down in florida when the light turns green it takes ppl like 3 seconds to get moving. i always enjoyed passing through georgia with the windows down and the shades on.

the other day as i'm pulling out onto my street this dude starts tailgating the **** out of me. the speed limit is 30. people do 40, and the cops love it cause they get to hide and then pull you over and steal your money. so this dude swerves around me, crosses a double line, and almost head on collided someone coming. missed em by an inch. all becausee he had to be a numskull.

everywhere you drive here its a fight. just to change lanes its a fight. the people in the other lane a few car lenghts back will viciously stomp on the gas so you cant change lanes. and then they almost rear end you. and then they swerve around you and cut you off and stick their middle finger out the window. and this happens several times per day. if the garden state parkway is 55 mph, and i am doing 60 according to both my speedometer and gps, then i just dont get the madness. it doesnt matter what lane your in. you can be in the right lane and people still persist to play their stupid games.

when youre at the toll booth if you take 5 seconds to count your change, people start honking their horns and shouting at you out their windows. and its funny how you mentioned land rover because 9 times out of 10 its the yuppies in their stationwagon suvs that cause all the problems.
i could go on all day about situation after situation, thats one of hundreds. people are friggin scumbags dude. it makes you ask yourself, "why should i ever bother painting my truck?" because its just going to get smashed up. and then when it does, the insurance companies try to weasel out of it and find an excuse not to pay for your damages. i know because i rear ended twice and so have my family and everytime the insurance companies hire expensive lawyers and try to screw you.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Unimog005
Elder User
No more than a "heavy idle" make me wonder about the throttle linkage.....and perhaps the accel pump in your carb.....? Was the pop like a backfire? I have heard that holly carbs can have their accel pumps trashed by a backfire through the carb.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 AM
TheHarrWay
Junior User
Idk, if anyone has any suggestions to try when I get on lunch I will... ( To help troubleshoot)

I pressed gas, released clutch. It started going and then pop and lurched.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unimog005
No more than a "heavy idle" make me wonder about the throttle linkage.....and perhaps the accel pump in your carb.....? Was the pop like a backfire? I have heard that holly carbs can have their accel pumps trashed by a backfire through the carb.
+1 on both items. The linkage check is an easy one, then head to the accel pump or the power valve.... Assuming you have a Holley of course. Does it sound/work normal without a load on the drive train?

--Mike

Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM
TheHarrWay
Junior User
How do I check throttle linkage?... Please make it "idiot proof" ....lol and no its not a holley. Original carb. Will check out non load function in a minute.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 PM
71highboy1
Junior User
sounds like the power valve in your holley took a crap.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Unimog005
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheHarrWay
How do I check throttle linkage?... Please make it "idiot proof" ....lol and no its not a holley. Original carb. Will check out non load function in a minute.
If you look at the firewall from the engine side, you can locate the rod that your accelerator pedal operates....it should be attached by another rod (or sometimes and improvised cable) to an arm on the carburetor....

Other possible things to consider.....clutch linkage parts.....under the truck there is a "bellcrank" that attached to an adjustable link the pushes on the clutch fork end...if your clutch was way out of adjustment the little "end" of the adjuster may have gotten jammed up....(if it falls off, you have no clutch operation)....thinking yours might be keeping the clutch from fully engaging? Just another thing to look at if you find no problems with carb....

Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
TheHarrWay
Junior User
Ok... Started her back up... This problem happens clutch or no clutch, so I don't believe its trans related.. Load or no load its the same... Try to apply gas and it shudders.... Also I had a tapping from the engine before and its considerably louder now.... Possible internal part messed up???? Didn't check throttle yet but will do on next break... Leaning towards carb/ fuel problem or loss of a cylinder????

Old 02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
TheHarrWay
Junior User
ALRIGHT.... so i got out there with a friend and i took off the air filter/intake... checked the throttle linkage.. all intact, when i move the throttle i could see the gas being pumped in... So thats good.

so i took a video of it idling and trying to die out..... i would advance the throttle and it would studder. but if i feathered it with little pushes then it revs..... as we stopped the video. IT popped, threw gas out of the carb( backfired) and shut off.....

So what do you think guys? carb was rebuilt a year or two ago, but it sat for over a year..... its not a holley, but if it is the carb going out then i will probably put a holley on there...

Also there was a pool of oil on top on the left side. above the headers where the little bowls are.... all the rest of the bowls have just dried dirt and such, but one has a ton of oil... looks like it could be leaking from bottom of carb?????? will post a picture later.... thanks for the help guys..

Old 02-23-2011, 03:00 PM
FECruzer69
Senior User
The stock Autolite carbs also have power valves so check for a blown one but,sadly it does sound like it might be inside the engine. If I were you I would check the engine's vacuum readings and do a compression test and/or pull the valve covers and have a look at the rocker arms and push rods. Hopefully it's not any thing in the bottom end that let go.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
TheHarrWay
Junior User
ok... how do i check for the blown power valves????

heres the link to it running rough.....

YouTube - F100 Running Rough

and now i will try to put up pics of the oil.. any ideas?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
chirvs
Freshman User
At first i thought you may have broken the end off you input shaft on the trans. But you may have a bent or broken push rod or rocker arm.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Kalve
Posting Guru
What engine you got? Hey ask them on 73-79 Dentside one of them there had a similiar problem a while back.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
sounds like you might have jumped a tooth on your timing chain/gear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GREAAAATTTT... Just what i needed