Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

'78 F250 4x4, build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I actually made some progress on this thing!
Took me 2 hours of cutting and 4 cutting wheels AND burning my mechanics gloves up...

Interior is gutted minus the wiring harness.

One question, I have a small block bell housing I want to use, but it had a hydraulic system on it, can I use it with my mechanical system?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
I'd love to hear an answer about my bellhousing if anyone has one..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:31 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that picture the side hole of the bellhousing? There's a pivot ball mount that bolts to the engine near where the two mount holes are. Going off memory, it seems like you could just cut them off.

Hopefully someone has actual pictures to help. Why not just keep the hydro clutch?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Ford-2-the_core
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sound and is the best plan is it going to be a ground up build or just a build to have and play in?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Well, the deeper I go, the more I find to replace... Lol
Its being built to be a weekend driver and a work truck for the farm, and just a "BAMF" lol... Or at least as bad as a 300 will get for it.

I really just wanted one super bad and I couldn't find anything I could afford and didn't really like the "options" a lot of them had. So I said "hell I'll get this and give it the options I want" ...

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Is that picture the side hole of the bellhousing? There's a pivot ball mount that bolts to the engine near where the two mount holes are. Going off memory, it seems like you could just cut them off.

Hopefully someone has actual pictures to help. Why not just keep the hydro clutch?
Well... I guess that's an idea... I really didn't think about it.. I have the clutch fork, pivot, slave, hydro hose, everything except the hydro master...

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Squirrel Man Sam
Senior User
Very cool to see some other saved trucks the same color as mine. Although, unfortunately, mine isn't a 4x4.

Pic I took the day I bought my truck home, after buying it from the junkyard:

and yes, the wire spoke hubcaps were the first thing to go...

Like others have said, I might advise against using the 16.5" wheels. I had them on a couple trucks, and ended up swapping them out for 16's, because the 16.5" tires were just so dang expensive

Good luck on your truck man, look forward to seeing the progress! I might have missed it in the thread, but do you intend to keep the color?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Ford-2-the_core
New User
Thumbs up

well I would go for the 16's but if you want a trail rig/work horse put a compressor on you're truck and go with 16.5's they make it real eazy to brake down and hane mount and if you get 12.5 will beed up right away no fight quick fix out on the farm or trail plus no extra wight of a big aired up spare to bog that strait 6 down I would look for a good 302 and bell housing for it any 73-84 is the same and a 85 302 out of mustangs are great have more bottom end because it runs off of the 352m/400 firing order making it a high out put motor and easy to find mounts and everything you need for that year

Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd really like to see some pics of the mirror thats adjustable from the inside. Pics from inside and outside would be cool. I've never seen one like that on a Dent............

Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Ford-2-the_core
New User
would say I haven't seen it but I have heard of it.

I think it came on the customstyle bodys. But not for many years maybe 2-3 on the dent body, right befor the body change in the 80's.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 AM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
I'd really like to see some pics of the mirror thats adjustable from the inside. Pics from inside and outside would be cool. I've never seen one like that on a Dent............
All of the sheet metal that is gone in these pics, was gone when I got it, I'm getting my doors this weekend.

I'll try to get that mirror from the guy but idk if I can, I know I'm not useing it on this truck.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Well... I have decided against the 300.. I just gave up on finding the towers...

I have the 400 torn down and in my shop, heads have been angle ground and rebuilt, just need to put my valve seals in and heads will be done. Block needs to be honed and then I just need to get my pistons ordered and my rebuild kit and I can begin the process.

Once I get my cab off I can coat the frame and start getting it together, pulled my axels apart and they're good to go. Needs hubs for the front and brakes all the way around. I've decided that I'm going to keep it fairly stock, no military tires, not much lift if any and just some 265/75/R16's.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Well got some updates... Been working on it rather spratically...
I painted my block (ford blue, the medium one)
Started fabing up the new floor... Sheet metal work with an ARC welder sucks....
Been grabing parts from my parts guy like a crazy man.... (All my parts are free if they're off of a scrap truck ) very pleased with tha... Even if the parts need a good bit of work..
Started undercoating the frame
Undercoated the inner fenders
Enough talk here's the pics!
Painted up my glove box door cover thingy:

My old core support and my new one (old one had some cancer that I didn't want to fight)

New core support came off of a flipped truck, I got it back in shape pretty easily...

My patched up floor.. (That's what you call a un-funded project)

My cancer riddin core support.. (If anyone wants it speak now.. Its about to go on my scarp pile..)

My FREE hood..(I ran out of blasting media in the middle of blasting it)

That's all for now... I have a pile of parts ive gotten for free... Only thing I have to buy is new parts... I LOVE this build...

Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Seriously if anybody wants that core support, speak up. I'll sell it dirt cheap.. Other wise its going to scrap with the rest of my junk, I need to start filling my empty 400 block..

Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad to see you bringing back an old truck. Nice progress so far and keep it up.

Originally Posted by hotfalcoon
I picked up this truck for $200 bucks. Looks like these trucks were twins seperated at birth lol. It has the straight six and dual tanks.

GEEZ, $200 is a steal on that truck. I wish I could find things like that.

Originally Posted by Squirrel Man Sam
Very cool to see some other saved trucks the same color as mine. Although, unfortunately, mine isn't a 4x4.

Pic I took the day I bought my truck home, after buying it from the junkyard:

and yes, the wire spoke hubcaps were the first thing to go...

Like others have said, I might advise against using the 16.5" wheels. I had them on a couple trucks, and ended up swapping them out for 16's, because the 16.5" tires were just so dang expensive

Good luck on your truck man, look forward to seeing the progress! I might have missed it in the thread, but do you intend to keep the color?
Another great find!!! That truck shouldn't have been junked that's for sure. Nice save and score.

Quick Reply: '78 F250 4x4, build thread.