Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Misfire codes: P0304 & P0305

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 AM
4dkidzboo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Misfire codes: P0304 & P0305

I just recently purchased a used 01 Escape V6 from a dealer. The first time I drove off the lot the check engine light came on. I took it back to them and they said they changed out a coil pack for #4 misfire. I must admit some of the jerking went away. But I still feel the misfire (slightly). After the coil pack was put on the #5 code came on and the check engine light didnt come on.Why is that?

Last edited by 4dkidzboo; 02-25-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: code changed after coil pk
Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 PM
4dkidzboo
New User
Check engine light not working why?

Please give me some advice someone?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The CEL comes on for two reasons, or two conditions of codes. Intermittent and re-curring. If you had a misfire on #5 once or twice, it might have noted the code as an intermittent, and if it kept coming back, it would store the code and turn on the CEL.
The ECM counts engine starts and probably more, and if the code does not recur after X number of starts after it is first stored, it erases the code, and more or less considers it a fluke. If the code continues to happen, after some time, it turns on the CEL.
trom

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 PM
4dkidzboo
New User
Lightbulb Scanner difference? (Won't Read if CEL is not on)

tom thank you for the info.

I have another question. IS there one coil pk per plug? And IS it possible that day 1 misfire was not even done but the plug switched to rule out things? Because day #3 misfire #5 happened.

Oh I took my car to Autozone to read codes because I still felt a misfire. When i took it back to the dealer He told me that his accu check wont read engines if the check engine light is not on. Is that true?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
The ignition system is called a "COP" system - Coil On Plug. Each plug has it own coil all to itself. You can swap the coils from cylinder to cylinder to see if a miss follows the coil as a test. Do not leave a misfiring coil in the engine. It can destroy the ECM's driver transistors and let all the smoke get out. ECM's are not cheap. COP coils are not too expensive.
I don't even know what Ford calls its diagnostic bay equipment any more. Used to be called Oasis, but that was then... ODB-II has two kinds of codes as explained above. More or less, temporary or permanent. A reader can pull stored codes, and I think a scanner can pull codes and data as the equipment is operating. You can get one for ~$50 at Harbor Freight should one be nearby. Check on the web for scanners, craigslist, and eBay will also have them. I cannot recommend a brand or model. So, I do not know if the dealership rep was prevaricating or not.
tom

Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomw
The ignition system is called a "COP" system - Coil On Plug. Each plug has it own coil all to itself. You can swap the coils from cylinder to cylinder to see if a miss follows the coil as a test. Do not leave a misfiring coil in the engine. It can destroy the ECM's driver transistors and let all the smoke get out. ECM's are not cheap. COP coils are not too expensive.
I don't even know what Ford calls its diagnostic bay equipment any more. Used to be called Oasis, but that was then... ODB-II has two kinds of codes as explained above. More or less, temporary or permanent. A reader can pull stored codes, and I think a scanner can pull codes and data as the equipment is operating. You can get one for ~$50 at Harbor Freight should one be nearby. Check on the web for scanners, craigslist, and eBay will also have them. I cannot recommend a brand or model. So, I do not know if the dealership rep was prevaricating or not.
tom
Not trying to be a smart*** but COP is a somewhat new item even after OBD-II took effect but part of change to OBD-II is that the term ECM was replaced by PCM. ECM is a OBD-I term.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if your going to change your plugs heres a great how to.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ark-plugs.html

Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Bill, you are trying to be what you denied. If you poke around, coil on plug has been around for many more years than OBD-II. If you google for ECM, the first thing you will find is a listing for a company that re-manufactures and repairs ECM/PCM's.
You are being nit-picky.
If you don't like my terms, don't read my posts. Doesn't bother me.
ECM - Electronic Control Module
PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Who cares? You.
tom

Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Bill, you are trying to be what you denied. If you poke around, coil on plug has been around for many more years than OBD-II. If you google for ECM, the first thing you will find is a listing for a company that re-manufactures and repairs ECM/PCM's.
You are being nit-picky.
If you don't like my terms, don't read my posts. Doesn't bother me.
ECM - Electronic Control Module
PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Who cares? You.
tom
Just looked that up and GM used COP on the 2.3L in 1988 but now you called me a smart*** because I suggested that your using the wrong term. That means although you have lots of car savy, you also have a very large ego. It did bother you!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
4dkidzboo
New User
Talking

Thank you guys for all your advice, and humor along the way.
I needed this laughter. But on a serious note I dropped my car off on Saturday. It's now Monday. My car its been sitting in the same spot. But I will be taking the car to Ford dealership when ever I get my car back.

I asked how much a tune up would cost they said 200 for only spark plugs. Then they said the 100,000 plus was $549. Anybody know where to get it done for cheaper. Walmart is out of the question?

Last edited by 4dkidzboo; 02-28-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Tune-up deals
Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Bill you are being nit picky. I will continue to call the computer the ECM until I stop posting here. If it concerns you that I use the 'wrong' term, so be it. I don't care. It doesn't bother me whether you READ my posts or not, and it doesn't bother me what you want to call the computer...
If you poke around on this site and any others that I post on regarding cars and trucks, you'll find that I don't use the term PCM and likely won't. There are more terms for it than the two we have been discussing, so I just stuck with the one that is easiest for me to type. I honestly won't ever change, I'm too old, and don't give a fig. If the readers want to 'correct my terminology', have at it. If they want to read what I post as helpful suggestions based on 40+ years of fiddling with cars, I like that too. My ego is not tied up in being the most accurate in terminology. Go read some of my other posts, and there is humor [well I thought so...] buried in some of them. As in a tone ring having dental problems... the teeth, get it? Not quite the 'proper technical term', but I don't care. I am not a professional discussing stuff with other professionals. If there is some code thingy that shows on posts to indicate the poster is an actual 'Pro', then I might consider caring. But I don't know of one...
later
t

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
danmansjimmy
Senior User
the guy at the dealer is full of crap, if the dealer doesnt have a scanner that cant read engine data, or history and present codes, unless CEL is on you should really find a new shop

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Bill you are being nit picky. I will continue to call the computer the ECM until I stop posting here. If it concerns you that I use the 'wrong' term, so be it. I don't care. It doesn't bother me whether you READ my posts or not, and it doesn't bother me what you want to call the computer...
If you poke around on this site and any others that I post on regarding cars and trucks, you'll find that I don't use the term PCM and likely won't. There are more terms for it than the two we have been discussing, so I just stuck with the one that is easiest for me to type. I honestly won't ever change, I'm too old, and don't give a fig. If the readers want to 'correct my terminology', have at it. If they want to read what I post as helpful suggestions based on 40+ years of fiddling with cars, I like that too. My ego is not tied up in being the most accurate in terminology. Go read some of my other posts, and there is humor [well I thought so...] buried in some of them. As in a tone ring having dental problems... the teeth, get it? Not quite the 'proper technical term', but I don't care. I am not a professional discussing stuff with other professionals. If there is some code thingy that shows on posts to indicate the poster is an actual 'Pro', then I might consider caring. But I don't know of one...
later
t
I read your posts and that's exactly why I brought it up. Why doesn't a guy whom appears to have that much knowledge use the wrong term? It was the EPA that set the rules and terms to be used, just like the location of the OBD-II port, within a certain distance from the steering column.

Sorry, I even mentioned it now.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM
txbasshound
New User
Originally Posted by 4dkidzboo
Thank you guys for all your advice, and humor along the way.
I needed this laughter. But on a serious note I dropped my car off on Saturday. It's now Monday. My car its been sitting in the same spot. But I will be taking the car to Ford dealership when ever I get my car back.

I asked how much a tune up would cost they said 200 for only spark plugs. Then they said the 100,000 plus was $549. Anybody know where to get it done for cheaper. Walmart is out of the question?
I just did a plug change on a 2001 Escape for about $48 for the plugs. It's not really hard to do it yourself, worst part is getting TO the plugs. If you're interested, there's a link on here that gives REALLY good pics and details on how to get to the plugs. If you live near Dallas, bring the car and a 6 pack and me and my son will show you.