Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigator Steering Wheel Swap for Non-Redundant Control Ex's: How-to

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 09:05 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Thanks Jon! Good to keep this fix current.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also just remembered I should update the Blackwood wheel thread too, so I did, and linked it at the top. Blackwood part aside, those instructions are very relevant for just a straight swap, for someone who wants a wood wheel. This thread is much more complicated, for specifically adding the radio and HVAC controls, regardless of wheel style.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so frustrated. I purchased a Navigator steering wheel and I'm trying to figure out the wiring because my steering wheel has different color wiring then the ones in this thread. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue and can help me out.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:19 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Pastor Jared Parmley
I am so frustrated. I purchased a Navigator steering wheel and I'm trying to figure out the wiring because my steering wheel has different color wiring then the ones in this thread. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue and can help me out.
Are you swapping a steering wheel with cruise control buttons only to one with cruise control, audio and climate control buttons? Or does your current wheel already have all the buttons and you are just upgrading to get the wood steering wheel?

Old 11-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
I haven't figured out the check engine light code yet. I've looked for any chafed wires and can't find any. When I turn the key to the on position without starting the engine this part clicks Non-Stop. Can someone help me identify this part? Is this part supposed to click prior to the engine? I will look into purchasing software in the future to read codes. I really appreciate all the help.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
I haven't figured out the check engine light code yet. I've looked for any chafed wires and can't find any. When I turn the key to the on position without starting the engine this part clicks Non-Stop. Can someone help me identify this part? Is this part supposed to click prior to the engine? I will look into purchasing software in the future to read codes. I really appreciate all the help.
Where is this? It looks like something vacuum related, but I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure on your different color steering wheel wiring. I heard there could be some differences between the wheels. Are the plugs the same?

Old 11-07-2017, 04:38 PM
ford_model'a'
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Pastor that is your truck's vacuum pump. I assume you have a diesel. That pump will start up as soon as you turn the key to the run position and will run until the reservoir is empty unless you have a leak somewhere.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:30 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Okay so I got a new wheel with the correct wires and harness. I hooked it up and after some troublesshooting got the radio controls working great. I hadt to cut the green and orange wire and leave it unconnected for the radio module to work. I took the truck for a test drive and the cruise worked. However the second time I took the truck out the cruise would no longer work. When i test the ohms only some of the buttons register. However if I unplug the clock spring from the truck harness all the cruise buttons work. It's as if the truck harness is delivering power ir something and canceling out the cruise cintrols. Any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
This afternoon I took the truck out and I couldn't get the front fan to work . Do you think that has something to do with this vacuum pump?
I only drove it for a couple minutes but the fan wouldn't work on either of the settings. However, the rear fan worked fine. =ford_model'a';17575755]Pastor that is your truck's vacuum pump. I assume you have a diesel. That pump will start up as soon as you turn the key to the run position and will run until the reservoir is empty unless you have a leak somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Since you say front fan and rear fan I assume you mean the interior climate control front blower. The diverters that send air to the dash, floor, or defrost are controlled by vacuum and if you don't have any vacuum it always comes out of the defrost. If that is what is happening then it's probably a vacuum problem yes. If your vacuum pump is clicking instead of running, it should sound like a kind of loud little motor running, then yes that's the problem.
If the blower itself is not turning on at all and you have no airflow anywhere in the front, no that is something else.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Thanks for the response. I have no airflow anywhere in the front. The fan dosen't turn on. I checked the fuse in the engine compartment and that looks fine. The rear HVAC blower works fine.
Originally Posted by seijirou
Since you say front fan and rear fan I assume you mean the interior climate control front blower. The diverters that send air to the dash, floor, or defrost are controlled by vacuum and if you don't have any vacuum it always comes out of the defrost. If that is what is happening then it's probably a vacuum problem yes. If your vacuum pump is clicking instead of running, it should sound like a kind of loud little motor running, then yes that's the problem.
If the blower itself is not turning on at all and you have no airflow anywhere in the front, no that is something else.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Hello All

Just wanted to give a quick update. All controls are working now. It turned out to be a two bad controls on the steering wheel. All is good now. Also, the problem with the fan turned out to be the fuse. I wasn't aware that the fuse for the fan is the same as the air bag. I thought that was strange. Anyhow, all is good. Thanks

Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Hello All

Just wanted to give a quick update. All controls are working now. It turned out to be a two bad controls on the steering wheel. All is good now. Also, the problem with the fan turned out to be the fuse. I wasn't aware that the fuse for the fan is the same as the air bag. I thought that was strange. Anyhow, all is good. Thanks
Glad you figured it out! Who would have thought. Did the inside of the wheel frame look rusty or anything? Seems odd that they would go bad, but I could see it happening if it was a flood donor vehicle and you didn't know.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
The wheel looked good, but perhaps water damage could have occurred. I never thought of that. Let me ask you a question on another matter. My turn signals won't auto cancel after a turn. I purchased a new switch (lever) and installed it but it didn't solve the problem. Other than the switch what else could it be?

Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Glad you figured it out! Who would have thought. Did the inside of the wheel frame look rusty or anything? Seems odd that they would go bad, but I could see it happening if it was a flood donor vehicle and you didn't know.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:06 PM
ford_model'a'
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
On the problem with self canceling, it could be the small cam that looks like a odd shaped ring on the steering shaft. It could be out of place, missing or broken. Look on the steering shaft where the switch and lever line up.

Quick Reply: Navigator Steering Wheel Swap for Non-Redundant Control Ex's: How-to