1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck bodies / flatbeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
truck bodies / flatbeds

Ok, looking to replace the bed on a 2000 F250 4x4 XL - std cab 8' bed (rusted fender wells) - looking to get a flatbed but have found out (at least around here) this is easier said than done. Nobody seems to have a "std" replacement for a SRW reg cab. I like the looks of the Omaha Std Badger series but the nearest dealer is several hours away in NC (I'm in SW Va) really want all aluminum but the options I have found online are limited w few local dealers in our area.

Anybody have photos or specs on a flatbed I can just "bolt on" w/o having to modify the truck or the flatbed?

I need to retain my frame mounted (under the rear bumper) class 3 hitch & 5th wheel ball - everyone I've talked to around here acts like this can't be done and I'll need to have one "custom fabricated"

Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 AM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Bump...........

Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bradford makes them for all configurations. When I rebuild my '03 short box it will get a Bradford, cutout flares on the front, and 38s

Bradford Built Truck Beds, Washington, Kansas

Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by dagren99
Ok, looking to replace the bed on a 2000 F250 4x4 XL - std cab 8' bed (rusted fender wells) - looking to get a flatbed but have found out (at least around here) this is easier said than done. Nobody seems to have a "std" replacement for a SRW reg cab. I like the looks of the Omaha Std Badger series but the nearest dealer is several hours away in NC (I'm in SW Va) really want all aluminum but the options I have found online are limited w few local dealers in our area.

Anybody have photos or specs on a flatbed I can just "bolt on" w/o having to modify the truck or the flatbed?

I need to retain my frame mounted (under the rear bumper) class 3 hitch & 5th wheel ball - everyone I've talked to around here acts like this can't be done and I'll need to have one "custom fabricated"
Why do you need to keep the class 3 receiver hitch? About every flatbed I've seen already has a receiver bulit into it - and I'm guessing it's heavier than class 3. Also, are you talking about a 5th wheel or a gooseneck? If you mean a gooseneck then again, about every flatbed I've ever seen has one built in - typically covered w/ a hinged plate. I wouldn't think 5th wheel would be a problem, you'd just have to bolt the assembly down.

Come to Kansas, flatbeds are a dime a dozen around here.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
That's been my problem - my frame mounted hitch in the bed is a "pop-up" hide-a-ball (gooseneck ball) which is directly attached to the frame of the truck. When the ball is down it's flush w/ the bed floor. All the flatbeds seem to have an integral hitch which means I'd have to loose my current setup (which I like) and have to remove the plate mounted to the frame under the current bed. Nice part about this setup is the release mechanism is part of the plate - you can extend or retract the ball from the drivers side fenderwell. None of the flatbeds I've found seem to not work with this system. I'm not opposed to throwing it away but I really like it since it keeps the ball out of the way in my current bed when not towing. Keeping the class 3 under the bumper was really the same deal - I have it, like the tow chain loops on it & don't want to just throw it away for no good reason other than the fact that I need to replace the OEM bed.
Guess if I have to loose both I'm ok with it I just hate to junk both+the bed too. It appeared that the badger body would work with at least the hide-a-ball but darn it if there aren't any dealers around here and shipping would be big$$

Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Did you look at the link I posted? Their gooseneck ball is recessed in the bed and covered by a plate. No more reaching in the fenderwell.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:17 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Took a look - going to call them to see about pricing and to see if a dealer is close enough to me. Guess my only option is to ditch my already installed hitches. Darn, going to be tough to get the hide-a-ball off the frame once we get the bed off. I bet the bolts have rusted up nice and good after about 10yrs. Been looking for a replacement bed but those are tough to find in these parts - a flatbed would be better suited to my needs wish that's the way I'd gone in 00 when I bought this truck new

Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Same here, my short bed is trashed and new-condition ones are over $3k. Lots of cheap long beds, but no short beds.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Took a look - going to call them to see about pricing and to see if a dealer is close enough to me. Guess my only option is to ditch my already installed hitches. Darn, going to be tough to get the hide-a-ball off the frame once we get the bed off. I bet the bolts have rusted up nice and good after about 10yrs. Been looking for a replacement bed but those are tough to find in these parts - a flatbed would be better suited to my needs wish that's the way I'd gone in 00 when I bought this truck new
Don't see how you could keep the current gooseneck setup - i'm guessing it's a B&W? Would be more fab work than it's worth. Honestly, I think the ball in the flatbed would be easier though - all you do is open the plate and there it is. One step vs. probably 3 for the current setup. If you're set on keeping the receiver that might not be as huge of a deal, I'm sure some torch and grinder work would open up a hole in the bed skirt big enough to fit the receiver...but again, I have to think anything mounted on the flatbed would be just as good, it will still have the chain eyes. Look at it this way, w/ the receiver you're only pulling on 4 bolts, w/ the flatbed you're pulling against the entire bed and it's all of its mounting points.

As for getting the current gooseneck hitch off, it really shouldn't be that bad, especially w/ the bed off - spray it down good w/ a penetrating oil and hit them w/ an impact, shouldn't take that much work. If it's a B&W I might be interested in it actually - mine's an 05 but I think they all use the same hitch. Shipping might be a killer though.

Don't know if there's any truck fab shops in the area where you are, but they typically have takeoff beds all the time - if you want to keep a standard bed. Look for a place that mounts utility and flat beds. Have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the beds off a late model would still bolt right up.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Called Bradford, I explained my dilemma regarding the bed hitch (see my comment below) they are going to see what they can do to help me retain the original bed/frame mounted hitch. My issue is I think the mounting hardware may have been welded in place on the frame - I wasn't there when it was installed but looking from underneath it looks like its welded to the frame. Worried that if we try to cut it off we'll trash the frame.

For some reason replacement take-off long beds are scarce around here. The few I've found look rougher than mine!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Called Bradford, I explained my dilemma regarding the bed hitch (see my comment below) they are going to see what they can do to help me retain the original bed/frame mounted hitch. My issue is I think the mounting hardware may have been welded in place on the frame - I wasn't there when it was installed but looking from underneath it looks like its welded to the frame. Worried that if we try to cut it off we'll trash the frame.

For some reason replacement take-off long beds are scarce around here. The few I've found look rougher than mine!
Wow. Yeah if it's welded that definately makes it harder. Thought all those were designed to just bolt on. Maybe depending on how the support structure is run under the flatbed they might be able to just take out the recessed box for the ball and leave the hinged plate. I'd be afraid the support structure underneath would interfere w/ the linkage mechanism. Interesting - keep us posted!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
I would still ditch the old hitch and go with the one built into the flat bed. You won't ruin the frame removing the hitch if you know what you're doing.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
My concern isn't so much the welds as the holes that were drilled (4 per side) - taking the bolts out and removing the attached plates will probably make the frame weaker right above the axle. The guy who installed the hitch "boxed" the frame right above the axle and attached a plate to the outside of each of the frame rails which the hitch is then bolted to.

When this was done I never thought 10 yrs later I'd still have the truck. Boxing the frame in sounded good back then since I'd lost an older truck to a cracked/broken frame.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Welding on the boxed section did more damage than any holes would. It is always recommended to bolt rather than weld to the frame, as welding alters the temper of the frame. I would still remove the existing hitch, it isn't adding to the strength of the frame.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
We're lifting the bed off in the morning to see what we can do to remove the hitch. It'll be easier to see what's going on w/o the bed in the way. Maybe it won't be as bad as it looks. In inspecting closer tonight were not 100% sure that the plates are welded to the frame. If I'm lucky we'll find out they're just bolted on to the frame. Wish I remembered the details from when the hitch was originally installed.

Quick Reply: truck bodies / flatbeds