2011 Fx4 Ecoboost vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 AM
colemac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Fx4 Ecoboost vs 5.0

Hey guys,

I am torn in buying my new truck. I won't be using it to tow a whole lot. I do love the throaty sound of the 5 litre in the supercrew and I like how the ecoboost pulls like a diesel.

My main focus will be gas mileage. Is there that much of a difference between the 2 motors? I am trading in my car because I have heard these new trucks get better mielage then most luxury sedans.

What are people getting per tank in KM's or miles. I am in canada.

Please Advise,

Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go with the 5L V8. I have an '02 5.4L 65,000 miles, and get over 19 mpg on highway. Frankly, I would not worry about the difference in gas mileage between the V6 turbo and the 5L V8. I don't think it will make much of a money difference during the life of the truck.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by colemac
Hey guys,

I am torn in buying my new truck. I won't be using it to tow a whole lot. I do love the throaty sound of the 5 litre in the supercrew and I like how the ecoboost pulls like a diesel.

My main focus will be gas mileage. Is there that much of a difference between the 2 motors? I am trading in my car because I have heard these new trucks get better mielage then most luxury sedans.

What are people getting per tank in KM's or miles. I am in canada.

Please Advise,
Help us out a bit more. What is your typical daily route? Mostly highway? Lots of stop and go city? Long or short commute?
The EB runs a pretty good premium over the 5.0L in intial cost. You should factor in your yearly mileage and how much fuel you can purchase for the 5.0L with the difference in increase to the EB.

Additionally, what cab and drive configuration are you planning on purchasing? A 2wd Reg Cab XL will be significantly lighter than say a 4wd SCrew Lariat or Platinum. Weight will be a large factor in the fuel mileage.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Help us out a bit more. What is your typical daily route? Mostly highway? Lots of stop and go city? Long or short commute?
The EB runs a pretty good premium over the 5.0L in intial cost. You should factor in your yearly mileage and how much fuel you can purchase for the 5.0L with the difference in increase to the EB.

Additionally, what cab and drive configuration are you planning on purchasing? A 2wd Reg Cab XL will be significantly lighter than say a 4wd SCrew Lariat or Platinum. Weight will be a large factor in the fuel mileage.
The EcoBoost is $750 over the 5.0. About the same as a performance chip. There is a $500 rebate on XLT EcoBoosts right now (till the end of March), so it's only $250 more. Combine that with the extra performance, and at least 2mpg better - which doesn't sound like much, but that's AT LEAST 50 more miles on every tank. I wouldn't call it a bad deal.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
The EcoBoost is $750 over the 5.0. About the same as a performance chip. There is a $500 rebate on XLT EcoBoosts right now (till the end of March), so it's only $250 more. Combine that with the extra performance, and at least 2mpg better - which doesn't sound like much, but that's AT LEAST 50 more miles on every tank. I wouldn't call it a bad deal.
Well damn, when you put it that way, the EB is a no brainer. I wasn't aware that they were offering the rebate, and for some reason I thought the EB was at least $1k more. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
colemac
New User

Yep sure, no problem. I actually work from home so any commute is usually in evenings or during day for meetings. Yearly I would say I put about 15,000km's per year. I have an Acura TL Type S that has 50k on it and thats what im trading in because I have heard these new trucks are getting better mileage then a care like that. Supercrew Fx4.

Thoughts?

Appreciate it,

Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Well damn, when you put it that way, the EB is a no brainer. I wasn't aware that they were offering the rebate, and for some reason I thought the EB was at least $1k more. Thanks for the clarification.
Your right it is a no brainer. I think the EB is the way to go. 2mpg increase over 15K miles per year at gas $3.50 per gallon will save you $300 in gas per year.

I have a 2010 FX4 with 5.4L and love it except fuel economy. I can get about 18mpg if I drive cruise control at 60-65mph.....who drives that slow on the highway! 75-80mph I get about 13mpg!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by colemac
Yep sure, no problem. I actually work from home so any commute is usually in evenings or during day for meetings. Yearly I would say I put about 15,000km's per year. I have an Acura TL Type S that has 50k on it and thats what im trading in because I have heard these new trucks are getting better mileage then a care like that. Supercrew Fx4.

Thoughts?

Appreciate it,
Your TL is rated at 19/28 right? You're not going to get better than that in the F150...unless it's on a trailer being towed by something else

OK seriously. EPA rated the EB at 21 hwy I believe. You could probably see 23-25 hwy if you really drove it carefully and cautiously, but let's be real, with 365 HP on tap and that wide torque band is that really going to happen?
If you're concerned about mileage, stick with your TL. If you need a truck, then the EB is a good choice.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
colemac
New User
Your TL is rated at 19/28 right? You're not going to get better than that in the F150...unless it's on a trailer being towed by something else

OK seriously. EPA rated the EB at 21 hwy I believe. You could probably see 23-25 hwy if you really drove it carefully and cautiously, but let's be real, with 365 HP on tap and that wide torque band is that really going to happen?
If you're concerned about mileage, stick with your TL. If you need a truck, then the EB is a good choice.
Yes my tl is rated at that but im lucky to get 17 in the city, honestly and I have always liked trucks. I have heard these new trucks will get better mileage then a car like that..

Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
colemac
New User
What are everyone's thoughts?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
My thoughts are that your wishes for better mileage out of the F150 as compared to your TL are a pipe dream. Why not trade in your TL on a newer MDX?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM
colemac
New User
Yeah I thought about that. How good of mileage do they get?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 PM
colemac
New User
2011 Acura MDX | New Acura Sport Utility Vehicles - Yahoo! Autos

They only get 16/21. The truck's get better then that..

Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Just Buy an F150....Made in the D. I like the new ford Explorer if your looking for a nice SUV and better fuel economy...and something that can tow

Old 02-26-2011, 07:41 PM
colemac
New User
I have heard from some people in Calgary,

850 km's in city
1100 kms on highway
Per tank

Thats with a 2011 Lariat Supercrew 5.0

What does everyone think?

Quick Reply: 2011 Fx4 Ecoboost vs 5.0