Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Toyota P/S kit for 53 and up on a 52

Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
special 55
Junior User
special 55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Toyota P/S kit for 53 and up on a 52

Well I have read enough of the threads to determine this is a good upgrade. I was thinking of going the kit route but all of the kits seem to be for 53 and up.

Has anyone had success using the kit on the older F1s and if so what mods did you make to accomodate the kit?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
I don't think you need to make any mods. I think the kit works just the same. Basically there are 2 different style power steering box mounting brackets, I have pics of both styles in my gallery. They are easy enough to fab your own.
There are several hurdles when changing over to power steering;
1. box mounting bracket
2. which pump to use and how to bolt it to engine
3. hoses
4. steering column and horn
5. pitman arm

The plans for the brackets can be found here;
1949 Ford F1 4x2 - steering details

The easiest pump to use would be whatever bolts to your engine....that way there are already brackets that exist for it

Hoses aren't too bad, any hydraulic shop can fab some up. Keep in mind that the metric fittings on the pump are 2 different sizes (16mm and 17mm I think....I think the pressure side is the 17mm but don't quote me) I made my own hoses that went from standard fittings to metric

The steering column is no big deal but the horn wire is a stumbling block. The original horn wire travels up the center of the steering shaft. Once you cut the shaft to make the connection to the box then you won't be able to run the horn wire up the shaft without it getting al wound up when turning

pitman arm...I think you can buy them for the application but I'm not sure. When I did mine I made my own. I didn't mount my box in the usual location so I really can't say how bad it is

There lots of threads about the swap on here and I think even a tech article or two.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
special 55
Junior User
special 55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the detail Bobby. That's great info in your gallery.

You may have inspired me to make my own instead of buy the kit.

Thanks,
Rich

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.