Parts store engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Daveyj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parts store engines

Just wondering if any of you have bought rebuilt engines through a parts store like autozone? I'm considering buying a 460. Or is it better to go through a local machine shop?

Have any of you gone the parts store route?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have not and would not. There is no way of telling what was done to the engine. They are often bored to the max and mixed/cheap parts. At least when you have it built, you know what you have.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some rebulders that are better then others. I have never heard anthing wrong with Jasper Engines. But thats not to say that they have never built a bad engine.

Check with a NAPA or independent autoparts store. Ask the counterman where they get their rebuilds from and how good they are. You will get a better idea from a guy who owns the store then some one at an Autozone or Pepboys. That being said.

If you have the time then getting an engine rebuld by a local shop is the best way to get an engine that will last. Unfortunatly in my area the last good engine shop closed years ago. I've been lucky I haven't had to have any major engine work done in that time.