1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

rough start till warm and hick up

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Tonym123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you get to that screen to clean it ? I have the identecle truck and cannot figure out how to access it , I was told that the only way was to remove the entire fuel bowl, is there an easier way to clean it?? Any help would be helpfull.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 AM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
I pulled the fuel control manifold off the side, there are 2 bolts. I did this because my control manifold was cracked. In doing this, many have gone ahead and shimmed the fpr and plugged the water/separator sensor.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Tonym123
New User
Need help finding gunged , plugged up screen on IPR ,FPR?

I own a 1995 with a starting and crusing surging , loping problem . I have read on previous threds that there is a screen that can be gummed, dirty and would help alliviate my problem as I have done everything I can think of to alleviate my fiel problems . Can anyone help me locate this screen and what parts I need to remove to locate it . The odd fellow at the dealership said there is no screen to clean or pull out under the IPR or the FPR bit, I have read many on,here of the,opposite PLEASE HELP IN DETAIL IF YOU COULD
THANK YOU
TONY MARTIN HOLLY , MI.
1995 DI TSD , KENDALLMAN DUAL BAG SYSTEM , TI CHIP , 3" STAINLESS DOWN PIPE TO TAIL , US GEAR UNDERDRIVE 4:10 TO 3:55 , US GEAR INLINE EXHAUST BRAKE , NEWLY REBUILD ON E4OD WITH H.D. UPGRADE ...... MORE TO IMPROVE BUT NEED TO FIND AND CLEAN THIS SCREEN TO MOVE FORWARD THANK YOU

Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tonym123
I own a 1995 with a starting and crusing surging , loping problem . I have read on previous threds that there is a screen that can be gummed, dirty and would help alliviate my problem as I have done everything I can think of to alleviate my fiel problems . Can anyone help me locate this screen and what parts I need to remove to locate it . The odd fellow at the dealership said there is no screen to clean or pull out under the IPR or the FPR bit, I have read many on,here of the,opposite PLEASE HELP IN DETAIL IF YOU COULD
THANK YOU
TONY MARTIN HOLLY , MI.
1995 DI TSD , KENDALLMAN DUAL BAG SYSTEM , TI CHIP , 3" STAINLESS DOWN PIPE TO TAIL , US GEAR UNDERDRIVE 4:10 TO 3:55 , US GEAR INLINE EXHAUST BRAKE , NEWLY REBUILD ON E4OD WITH H.D. UPGRADE ...... MORE TO IMPROVE BUT NEED TO FIND AND CLEAN THIS SCREEN TO MOVE FORWARD THANK YOU

Pull the filter out of the fuel bowl. On the side of the fuel bowl housing is the fuel control manifold. There are 2 bolts that hold the fcm on the fuel bowl. Reach down in the fuel bowl, there is a hole about an inch down. That hole runs to the fuel vacuum-switch. You can stick a q-tip in there and it will get a good bit of it. If you really want to get it clean, pull the bolts out of the fcm, be sure not to crack the sensor or you will have to replace it or plug it. Once you pull the fcm, you will see the infamous screen. Clean it with some brake cleaner and put it back together. If you go the route to pull the fcm, on the top left side of the fcm is the fpr (fuel pressure regulator). I would seriously think about taking it apart and shimmy the regulator.

Here's a link on how to shimmy the fpr. TikiWiki : Shim Your Fuel Pressure Regulator 94-97

Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 PM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copedawg
I agree, "this place is aight" lol.
All new GP's and GPR?...something is not right. I would test your GPR to ensure it is working.

Guess what - had the wire harness from the gpr to the starter relay on the wrong terminal on the starter relay. She starts like a charm now. Anyone wanna beat me over the head for a bone head mistake?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad you are back on track, Breezy. Those are the mistakes that make us all "smarter" or wiser anyway. (I ran around with my hubs locked in 4WD for a few years wondering why MPG's were bad)! it happens.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copedawg
Glad you are back on track, Breezy. Those are the mistakes that make us all "smarter" or wiser anyway. (I ran around with my hubs locked in 4WD for a few years wondering why MPG's were bad)! it happens.
Yeah, I realized yesterday that I forgot to unlock those too... I guess I have been riding around with them locked in for a month or so now. What can I say...