Pressing cruise ON + Coast = HORN!!?!? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Pressing cruise ON + Coast = HORN!!?!?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.

I was driving to work this morning and went to set my cruise control, so I pressed on and hit cruise instead of set by accident and my horn went off. I thought I might have just hit the horn by accident so I tried it and sure enough if I press cruise ON and Coast my horn goes off.

What gives?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 AM
ztodd377
of FTE, RHN, and BEER!
ztodd377 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ztodd377 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had something similar happen with my truck before and it turned out water was getting onto the GEM (generic electronic module). I think that's what it stands for. I had my windshield pressure checked for leaks and resealed plus put some silicone in any holes I had in the firewall on the drivers side. The GEM is on the backside of the fusebox under the dash. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
SLUF681
Senior User
SLUF681 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLUF681 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You may want to check the harnesses in the column. You may have a short where the wired rub against the shifter. I've read about a few wierd things happening in there (first for the CC activated horn though).

Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
JOHN2001
Postmaster
JOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to behold
Try putting the left turn signal on flashing the lights poping the hood while hittting the brake petal all at once and see if that solves the problem
Im no help sorry but it should have made you laugh

Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
woodnthings
Postmaster
woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
Sounds like an issue with the clock-spring in the wheel. You will most likely have to replace it, or take it apart. They do tend to have issues, although that is a new one that I hadn't heard of........until now.

Here are the manuals on it: Clock-Spring R&R Manuals

Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by JOHN2001 View Post
Try putting the left turn signal on flashing the lights poping the hood while hittting the brake petal all at once and see if that solves the problem
Im no help sorry but it should have made you laugh
Your spelling makes me laugh

Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
JOHN2001
Postmaster
JOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to behold
Im a welder not a speller lol

Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JOHN2001 View Post
Im a welder not a speller lol
*Pedal

Brake pedal, flower petal

Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ztodd377 View Post
I had something similar happen with my truck before and it turned out water was getting onto the GEM (generic electronic module). I think that's what it stands for. I had my windshield pressure checked for leaks and resealed plus put some silicone in any holes I had in the firewall on the drivers side. The GEM is on the backside of the fusebox under the dash. Hope this helps.
what was similar?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
ztodd377
of FTE, RHN, and BEER!
ztodd377 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ztodd377 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My horn would go off at random times. Driving, parked, truck off, etc.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
Rose-

Similar kind of issue to what I had. Sort of. My horn would go off by itself. Really. When I wasn't even in the truck. I pulled the relay to temporarily solve the problem. This also killed my cruise. So they are on the same relay circuit. Even though the problem is slightly different, I think the solution may be similar.

I've printed the big old doc from the link here at work so at least I have some instruction when I tear into it.

Anyone have a link to a photo-documentary of taking out the air bag and steering wheel assy's?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck
duck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant future
Here you go Andy click me

Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM
UNTAMND
Postmaster
UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.
HAHA
while it isnt normal to have the horn go off at random times by itself, on my mustang if you push the on and off of the cruise control the horn beeps. It actually does it on all 4 of my 94-98 era mustangs. Weird i know, but until it starts beeping by itself I wouldnt worry. (94-98 mustangs have hard buttons so the on/off rocker has to fall off before you can push them at the same time)

Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Yeah I dont think I'm going to worry about this one until my truck develops a mind (and alarm) of its own and starts beeping in the middle of the night.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by duck fan View Post
Here you go Andy click me
Thanks Peter!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pressing cruise ON + Coast = HORN!!?!?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.