1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1965 F-250 Neutral Safety Switch, Window Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 08:54 PM
Hudson Wade
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1965 F-250 Neutral Safety Switch, Window Regulator

I've got two questions I can't figure out. I have a 352 with an automatic. I have bad connections in the neutral safety switch and don't know how it works. Are there any diagrams or explanations I can find?

Also, I have a broken window regulator roller and can't find replacements. Any help? Thanks!

Old 09-18-2023, 10:26 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Hudson:
Is this the part you're looking for?
61-66 fits Ford F100 pickup truck door window glass regulator rollers - 6 pcs | eBay
Easy to check the neutral switch if you have a continuity tester or voltmeter. When the transmission is not in park, the circuit is open, preventing voltage to the starter solenoid so that the truck won't start in gear. When the transmission is in park, the circuit is closed allowing voltage to pass through and start the truck. I'm not sure on the wire colors, as my NSS is modified from original, however, you can find the wire leads, disconnect them and connect them to you continuity tester to make sure the circuit closes when the shifter is in Park. Also, some of these switches just get out of adjustment. The swich may work fine and the connections may be fine but the switch isn't closing when the shifter is in the park position. You may be able to check that by trying to start the truck and moving yours shift lever up and down slightly to see if it will start.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:33 PM
Hudson Wade
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by resonateur
Hudson:
Is this the part you're looking for?
61-66 fits Ford F100 pickup truck door window glass regulator rollers - 6 pcs | eBay
Easy to check the neutral switch if you have a continuity tester or voltmeter. When the transmission is not in park, the circuit is open, preventing voltage to the starter solenoid so that the truck won't start in gear. When the transmission is in park, the circuit is closed allowing voltage to pass through and start the truck. I'm not sure on the wire colors, as my NSS is modified from original, however, you can find the wire leads, disconnect them and connect them to you continuity tester to make sure the circuit closes when the shifter is in Park. Also, some of these switches just get out of adjustment. The swich may work fine and the connections may be fine but the switch isn't closing when the shifter is in the park position. You may be able to check that by trying to start the truck and moving yours shift lever up and down slightly to see if it will start.
Yes, shaking the shift lever does allow current to flow and the truck to start. It's still slow, which is why I suspect a bad connection somewhere. I have seen wiring throughout this truck that is shoddy at best and has nearly zero grounds anywhere. Speaking of, this could also be a starter ground issue, but I have nearly zero experience repairing cars at all. It's crazy that I took on such a big project as my first! But, with a truck about as electrically complicated as a rock, I guess it's not a bad place to start.

Now, where would I even find the neutral safety switch itself? I cannot find it to save my life, though I'm sure it's in an obvious spot. As for the window regulator roller, it was the exact part I needed and it is in my cart ready to order. Thanks for that!

One last thing, I promise. Do you by chance have a wiring diagram for the starting and charging circuits? The previous owner 'installed' a new voltage regulator but didn't insulate a single connection and installed it backward.

Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2023, 08:40 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
The neutral safety switch should be on the top side of the steering column tube just below the dash panel near the foot controls. The switch is controlled by a lever that sticks out the side of the steering column in the same vicinity.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:46 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Hudson:
It sounds like you have a basic understanding, so now all you have to do is study the wiring diagrams, make sure you have a voltmeter (cheap is fine) then get your tools out. As you mentioned, this is a good time and place to learn. 12 volt is pretty straightforward. There are plenty of wiring diagrams available. There's a small pamphlet that has all the diagrams (link below). There also is a company who makes a very large in-color wiring diagram that's easy to read (link below). I always buy one of those if I'm going to keep the vehicle. Just search on line and you'll find it. It's laminated as well. Also, you can go to the Fordification forum. They have wiring diagrams on the website for free and, although, the forum is not for 66, you'll find a lot of similarities in the wiring and colors used, so that might get you started.

1966 Ford F Truck Wiring Diagram – ClassicCarWiring

Book - Wiring Diagram Manual - Truck for 1966 Ford Trucks | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restorations (dennis-carpenter.com)