6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Mixing ATF with diesel fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixing ATF with diesel fuel?

So the other day I went to lunch with the boss. He has a 2006 f250 with a 6.0. His has been not doing well it has been real sluggish and unresponsive. So on the way to the panda express he floors it and grins. It had mostly all the power mine has. and a ton more then it did the week before. I asked him if he had new injectors installed. He said he was talking to his friend who runs a Diesel shop in town. They also make Custom injectors there and they all drive fords. His friend told him to add 2 quarts of atf to a full tank. and I have to say the difference in power was VERY noticable. its been a few days and hes filled up again this time without adding the atf. truck runs like new now even without the atf in it. Anyone have any experence with adding atf to fuel? any problems with it as a injector cleaner/conditoner every now and then?
I can say as far as results I was impressed. Not sure if there is anything to be worried about. I want to run a quart through and tank on mine to see if it runs any better.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Exactly what is being cleaned by it? I know, you said injector cleaner, but what injector components are being cleaned? I understand anti-gel, cetane enhancement, lubricity improvement, just don't see the cleaner bit.

No if you had said he adds it to the oil, I would understand ........

Old 02-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Forgot to mention, I talked to the same mechanic who drives a 6.0. I asked him about what they charge for a HG job. He said they only install H11's due to the lower torque rating required over the ARP's. He mentioned they have had a few come back with distored blocks due to the 240ftlbs with arps and have had zero come back with the H11's. He also said that with stock gaskets there is no need to re-torque after a hot/cold cycle. anyone heard of ARPs distorting blocks?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bismic
Exactly what is being cleaned by it? I know, you said injector cleaner, but what injector components are being cleaned? I understand anti-gel, cetane enhancement, lubricity improvement, just don't see the cleaner bit.

No if you had said he adds it to the oil, I would understand ........

Injector tip? no clue but I drove his truck before and after and I know for certian there is a huge difference.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could see the detergents in the ATF helping. I have heard of people adding ATF to engine oil to clean out deposits. I've heard of mixing ATF with acetone for poor mans "seafoam" as well.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
The only thing that I can see by putting ATF in your fuel tank, is dying the fuel a no no red. I think cheezit uses ATF fluid as a supplemental fuel, maybe he can shed further light on this.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
The only thing that I can see by putting ATF in your fuel tank, is dying the fuel a no no red. I think cheezit uses ATF fluid as a supplemental fuel, maybe he can shed further light on this.
Yes I have done it a few times. Ive gone so far as a 40% mix in a 28 gallon tank. the milage drops a little and the tailpipe smells. runs ok seems to bog down at 40%. ATF just lacks the btu the real diesel will put out. The other issue I may have had was the fuel may have just been a little to thick.
Once again I would not suggest that people try this. I do what I do thats that.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Forgot to mention, I talked to the same mechanic who drives a 6.0. I asked him about what they charge for a HG job. He said they only install H11's due to the lower torque rating required over the ARP's. He mentioned they have had a few come back with distored blocks due to the 240ftlbs with arps and have had zero come back with the H11's. He also said that with stock gaskets there is no need to re-torque after a hot/cold cycle. anyone heard of ARPs distorting blocks?
Vlonley had made a statement about this at one time. Thats the only time I have heard of it.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru

Substantial torque on threaded holes around a cylinder bore can distort the upper portion of the bore. In the early 70's when I was drag racing it was standard procedure to use torque plates when a speed machine shop was boring cylinders. The plate would simulate a head that was torqued on to the specified ft lb you were going to use.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
strokin83
Senior User
I have run it a few times in my 6.0 didn't notice a huge difference in power like cheezit says it stinks a little. On the other hand I run my 94 idi turbo almost completely on shop oil. Atf, engine oil, and hydraulic fluid. I have a heater that is hooked to my coolant system that heats the fuel and lowers the viscosity that thing doesn't care one bit It burns it like it's diesel. Gotta love oil school IDI injection. I wouldn't make it too big of a habit on a 6.0 lift pumps and injectors are not cheap But a couple quarts wont hurt. Atf does have a lot of cleaning qualities.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
With the high pressure of the fuel, it seems unlikely that the injector tip needs cleaning. I still don't see what component it helps. Not saying it doesn't, just would like to hear a good explanation.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Im sure what cheezit is useing is used atf. the mech told me there is a guy with a 6.0 that uses 1 quart of new atf at every fill up since it was purchased. He has over 210k on his factory injectors and going strong. Has somthing to do with the detergents in atf. They use it in their shop to revive dead or dieing injectors. I think I'm going to run 2 quarts in my next tank and see if it changes anything. Sounds like it can't harm the motor if cheezit's doing a 40% mix.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bismic
With the high pressure of the fuel, it seems unlikely that the injector tip needs cleaning. I still don't see what component it helps. Not saying it doesn't, just would like to hear a good explanation.
Well I understand about the high pressure of the injectors. But I have changed my own dead injector. And I can vouch that there was a layer of nasty black crud on the tip. Also other injectors reach 26kpsi and need injector cleaner like cummins for instance. They are just not ran off of oil pressure. Shrug

Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Soooooooooooo.........is it something to try or not?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Well I understand about the high pressure of the injectors. But I have changed my own dead injector. And I can vouch that there was a layer of nasty black crud on the tip. Also other injectors reach 26kpsi and need injector cleaner like cummins for instance. They are just not ran off of oil pressure. Shrug
Errr... What?

Quick Reply: Mixing ATF with diesel fuel?