Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

photo/attachment upload

Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by hellfirejim View Post
i agree but I have never been able to figure out how to use the forums picture deal. The steps involved remind me of what is happening at work. We are going to a new data base but the problem is it was done by IT guys without supervison. Which means to them it looks cool as hell but to the end user it is simply not practical. I believe if I worked at it I could figure out the picture loading deal here but why should it be that diffcult? Since I have been here everybody loves the froum EXCEPT for the picture deal.

I realize that this doesn't answer exactly what you asked but to get a better feel for it re-visit the instructions and the steps involved and look at it from the end user and importantly as we grow a newbie point of view. The fewer and simpler the steps the more it will encourage people to post.

jim
there are two editor modes.. simple and advanced. (they only used to have advanced edit mode, but people complained when all they wanted to do was type a message, so vBulletin added the quick post simple editor)

simple is the window at the bottom of the page, type, press 'Post quick reply' .. done.. but you can't do much..

advanced edit is opened when you quote someone OR when you press Post Reply in a forum topic, or New Post at the top of the forum topic list, or press 'go advanced' at the bottom of the page (next to 'post quick reply')

this provides a LOT more capability, and this is where the Supported Attachment support shows up..

in the section 'additional Options' is the manage attachments button and current attachments list. (see pic 1 below)

when you press that button, (just like pressing upload on facebook), you get a new window to do that work. (see image 2 below)

FTE supports only THREE attachments per message post.
you upload (internet bigger than you) to FTE either from your computer, or some other web server (url) in the internet. a total of three..

once you upload them, you close the upload tool window, and the same list of files will appear in the additional options window (see image 1 again)..

----------------

if you don't have files on your computer, and just want to 'link' to them somewhere (photobucket, flikr, ...) (without actually 'uploading' them onto the FTE server disks)
the FTE forum software (vBulletin) has a special syntax to tell the post formatter that this is an image..
[img]....[/img] where ... is the web address of the image.

you can type this goo yourself, or you can use the helper buttons at the top of the edit window. (see image 3)
the icon that looks like a mountain says 'insert image' when the mouse pointer is over it.. this does the [img] goo for you.. push the button, get a place to put the web address (called a URL) and save, it add the url and goo to your note where the cursor was.

note that images have limits on sizes. shown in the bottom part of image 2. these are FTE configured limits, just like the 3 image attachment limit per message.
The three images are from different times replying about images, so don't read more into them

Note: you have to be a paid supporter to get the attachment feature
sam

Attached Images    
Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
hellfirejim is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is an excellent discription of the manage editor. I knew about the last part and use it.

jim

Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
That is an excellent discription of the manage editor. I knew about the last part and use it.

jim
Now let's see an attachment! You can do it!

Sam

Old 02-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Walston
Posting Guru
Walston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
there are two editor modes.. simple and advanced. (they only used to have advanced edit mode, but people complained when all they wanted to do was type a message, so vBulletin added the quick post simple editor)

simple is the window at the bottom of the page, type, press 'Post quick reply' .. done.. but you can't do much..

advanced edit is opened when you quote someone OR when you press Post Reply in a forum topic, or New Post at the top of the forum topic list, or press 'go advanced' at the bottom of the page (next to 'post quick reply')

this provides a LOT more capability, and this is where the Supported Attachment support shows up..

in the section 'additional Options' is the manage attachments button and current attachments list. (see pic 1 below)

when you press that button, (just like pressing upload on facebook), you get a new window to do that work. (see image 2 below)

FTE supports only THREE attachments per message post.
you upload (internet bigger than you) to FTE either from your computer, or some other web server (url) in the internet. a total of three..

once you upload them, you close the upload tool window, and the same list of files will appear in the additional options window (see image 1 again)..

----------------

if you don't have files on your computer, and just want to 'link' to them somewhere (photobucket, flikr, ...) (without actually 'uploading' them onto the FTE server disks)
the FTE forum software (vBulletin) has a special syntax to tell the post formatter that this is an image..
[img]....[/img] where ... is the web address of the image.

you can type this goo yourself, or you can use the helper buttons at the top of the edit window. (see image 3)
the icon that looks like a mountain says 'insert image' when the mouse pointer is over it.. this does the [img] goo for you.. push the button, get a place to put the web address (called a URL) and save, it add the url and goo to your note where the cursor was.

note that images have limits on sizes. shown in the bottom part of image 2. these are FTE configured limits, just like the 3 image attachment limit per message.
The three images are from different times replying about images, so don't read more into them
sam
This is exactly how I always loaded photo's into the threads and it currently doesn't work. I am doing it correctly, the file is sized fine and I get a "Upload of file failed" every time. The only way I can post a picture currently in a threat is using photo bucket as Havi said. Something is broken.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:08 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
hellfirejim is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now let's see an attachment! You can do it!

Sam

ok here goes...

what do you know it works!!!!!!
jim

Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Walston View Post
This is exactly how I always loaded photo's into the threads and it currently doesn't work. I am doing it correctly, the file is sized fine and I get a "Upload of file failed" every time. The only way I can post a picture currently in a threat is using photo bucket as Havi said. Something is broken.
bummer.. thanks for reporting it tho..
whats the smallest pic you've tried?

Sam

Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
ok here goes...

what do you know it works!!!!!!
jim
cool.. one winner!!..
you can also attach pdf documents (like instructions you might want to share, I installed a nav system into my ford dually and created a how to doc that I posted for others)

sam

Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Walston
Posting Guru
Walston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to allWalston is a name known to all
bummer.. thanks for reporting it tho..
whats the smallest pic you've tried?

Sam
I just tried a 53KB jpg file and got the same error

Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Yeah, still doesn't work for me either. I've started a new photo album on PB just for this site. I minor inconvenience, that's all. But heck, it's -20F, I ain't got nuthin' better to do.