Notices
'80-'86 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) Calculators, specififications, automotive terms and acronyms.

FAQ - Heater HVAC Air Conditioning vent door problems

Old 01-15-2011, 10:20 PM
longreins
Junior User
longreins is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had such a symptom and managed to identify the problem today. There was a hot/cold blending door or panel inside the duct whose hinge had broken. The thing was made of a single piece of plastic; more like nylon really that had been sort of perforated (long slit cuts). One side was riveted and screwed to the heat duct wall and the other side was the moving panel.

To see all that, I pulled the dash cap and the glove box, then managed to pull the vent duct (passenger side) up and out. I wanted to buy a new one but the dealers were closed today so I decided to use small brash hinges and pop rivets to fix it.

While I had everything ripped out I noticed a one inch gap between the defrost plenum and the duct that feeds it. I made an intermediate adapter (1" thick gasket out of insulation board) and now the defroster works better than it ever has.

However, as I was testing the operation through all the AC/heater control settings, I noticed that some of the settings worked great when the control was sliding from left to right and that others worked great when sliding from right to left. The vacuum control switch is the problem. I don't know what I can do about that. The part number is E1AH-190961-BA. I don't really know what this thing is called but I might try to dig into it since its goofed up. I am sure its just worn out but its worth a look.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Rudy1986
New User
Rudy1986 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 1986 ford f-150 302 has a problem with some components missing in my dash.I need to find why the controller to the A/c defrost vent and feet it is like nothing is there when i move the controller over to the defrost area I just don't know what is missing under the dash its been that way sense i owned it like 10 years.I wouldn't know where to find the parts at.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Try these links...

Originally Posted by Rudy1986 View Post
My 1986 ford f-150 302 has a problem with some components missing in my dash.I need to find why the controller to the A/c defrost vent and feet it is like nothing is there when i move the controller over to the defrost area I just don't know what is missing under the dash its been that way sense i owned it like 10 years.I wouldn't know where to find the parts at.
Here are links to all the exploded diagrams having anything to do with the heating/AC system. Take a look at the drawings and see if it helps any.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9764207
<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

Old 02-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Rudy1986
New User
Rudy1986 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you i will print those out for a reference.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:00 PM
glovemeister
Postmaster
glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Anafiel View Post
Hi,

This fall I replaced the heater core so that I would be ready for this winter (old one was leaking), but something isn't quite right. Heater blower runs fine, and all dashpots operate, but I'm not getting air movement like I'm supposed to.

When I change from vents to floor to defrost, the dashpots operate, but the hot air doesn't seem to change "direction", and the volume is very low. It's hot, but not enough movement, and not directed to where it's supposed to go.

In what order do I need to diagnose this issue? What do I need to look for?

Thanks!
If you look on your blower motor housing you should see two small vaccumn lines near the top. Make sure these are not broken at the top, moving on look under your dash and they should plug into a housing type setup. Make sure they are connected. My heat worked good and directions switched. I broke a line so i had to drill out the fitting pieces and push the lines in again. After I did that it worked great.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:37 AM
wccasey
New User
wccasey is starting off with a positive reputation.
glovemeister - what fitting pieces did you have to drill out?

One of my vacuum lines under the hood, just in front of the firewall dry-rotted and broke. So all the air was being directed through the defrost vents. I've temporarily "fixed" it using some electrical heat shrink tubing, but I want to replace that tubing.

Those lines go into the firewall through some kind of cured rubber/silicone plug... is that what you had to drill out?

NOTE:
1984 F150
5.0/302
Factory Air

Old 08-10-2017, 07:14 AM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
wccasey, the pictures & formatting of this thread no longer work.

I haven't seen Eric Glover in years but I can kinda imagine what you're asking about - the vacuum lines between the engine & cab interior, thse configurations are different for Factory AC vs dealer/aftermakret AC vs heater-only.

That plastic tubing becomes brittle and breaks easily, replacement is sometimes available at decent auto parts stores. I would pay attention to diameter size, they did it the way they did it (vacuum restrictions in certain places under certain conditions) for a reason, changing stuff to something that "will work" may or may not accommodate all conditions.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 AM
wccasey
New User
Yes, that's exactly what I was asking about. Those lines are very brittle and I was surprised that heat shrink even worked as a temporary solution. I assumed that there would be other breaks in that brittle line somewhere else that I couldn't see. Thanks for the reminder about the vacuum restrictions and engineered tolerances.

I'll check the stores for the line, but that firewall silicone/rubber stuff (technical term lol) that the vacuum lines go through to get into the cab... I'm guessing that will probably need to be replaced as well? There is a wire to the blower that goes through the same stuff. I guess I'm searching the forums for any "gotchas" I might run in to before I start poking around and into the firewall.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:10 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Silicone stuff the vacuum lines go through to get to the cab....

You might have something changed or modified by somebody else, the factory stuff I remember is pretty intuitive to figure out but whay you describe doesn't sound familiar.

Anyway, yeah, it sounds like you're on the right path, though.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:07 PM
wccasey
New User
If I can get out to the truck later, maybe I'll post a picture of it, too. I'd be interested to know if it has been messed with.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM
PetesPonies
Senior User
PetesPonies is starting off with a positive reputation.
May I jump in? Question . .., I have an '83 Bronco that did have ac. Owner said it was add on, but there is the factory AC/Heat control in teh stock location. There was a compressor mount on engine. I am not sure if the heater plenum is the AC one or a heat only. The owner said things were removed ???? I also want to buy an '82 f100. I did away with the AC on the Bronco, as far as mount and such. I don't want AC there,. However, I would love to use some of the pieces on the '82 PU to add air. So . . what does the plenum look like for the AC versus the heat only? The Bronco has the two holes in the firewall for the AC lines, but I see no hook up inside. So I'm wondering if they changed the plenum inside, but left the AC controller. Anyone help?

Old 08-25-2017, 07:47 AM
ctubutis
Well, Pete, I want pictures because to too much of what you ask is vague.

The owner said it was an add-on AC system but you say there is factory AC stuff installed,none of us here have seen anything, I am not going to spend time on anything until I see pictures.

You need to do your homework and learn what parts & components were part of each system; I used to have examples of all that here in the FAQ subforum but this place fell apart over time as things outside of my control happened.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't try to make a 1980s-anything air conditioning system work these days, the refrigerant those things used is illegal these days and getting a hold of any costs a lot.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:56 PM
PetesPonies
Senior User
PetesPonies is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was wanting a pic or two. Thats what I was asking for. The '83 has a factory heat/ac control. But when I bought it, seller said the truck had at one time, dealer installed AC. Hmmm, weird that they would have installed the factory controller. I see no signs of an evaporator. ( I'm a retired auto teacher and do restorations now ). I know what should and what should not be done. I('m just trying to figure out what I have here. Was the evaporator on the engine side for both factory and dealer AC in '83? Was the plenum inside the same for each? If not, can I see some pics?

Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 PM
ctubutis
OK OK OK I see what you're needing, thank you for that explanation, Pete.

Let me ask Gary Lewis and see if he already has or maybe can add relatively easily the HVAC stuff you're looking for in the Parts Catalog, those will help at least in a conceptual sense, you sound like you can figure out the fine details of what's needed to do this.

Man, I feel so bad for you, I feel like we at one time had a lot of good information on this HVAC stuff in this very thread (I even contributed to it as I also learned stuff) but now most of that stuff is unusable for reasons outside my control.

That's just life, I guess.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
I'm not sure exactly what is being asked for, but I do have the "integral", meaning factory-installed, HVAC info on the site. Just go to the site, scroll down the navigation menu on the left, and click on HVAC. ???Gary's Garagemahal - Bullnose Forum

And if that isn't what is needed please let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FAQ - Heater HVAC Air Conditioning vent door problems

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: