Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

Lowest point on 53-55 F100... bottom lip of the running board question

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
SunDown
Senior User
SunDown is starting off with a positive reputation.

This question might be a bit obscure but I am wondering if the running boards on the 53-55 f100's are the lowest point of the body. I mean the lower lip of the running board? I assume that it is but on both my 53 and my 55 I dont have running boards.

I am in the process of getting diamentional information so when I bag the front I can make sure that the lowest point of the body (the lower lip of the running boards) appears to make contact with the ground after the airbag is fully compressed... not before. I would rather not have anything on this truck drag... thats what the mini is for.

I have the running board brackets but do not know if the lowest point of the bracket is equilivent to the lowest point on the running board lip.

can anyone shed any light?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
lexcoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
on my 56 Panel the running board lip is around 3/4 to 1 inch lower than the brackets, BUT the original gearbox crossmember is lower by about another inch or so.
Hope that helps, dont think pickups are any different........

John

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SunDown View Post
This question might be a bit obscure but I am wondering if the running boards on the 53-55 f100's are the lowest point of the body. I mean the lower lip of the running board? I assume that it is but on both my 53 and my 55 I dont have running boards.

I am in the process of getting diamentional information so when I bag the front I can make sure that the lowest point of the body (the lower lip of the running boards) appears to make contact with the ground after the airbag is fully compressed... not before. I would rather not have anything on this truck drag... thats what the mini is for.

I have the running board brackets but do not know if the lowest point of the bracket is equilivent to the lowest point on the running board lip.

can anyone shed any light?
No. The fender is lower than the running board lower egde. The bracket is higher than the running board outer edge, maybe by 1/2 in

Sam

Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
lexcoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK, good point, i presently dont have the front fenders fitted so that makes sense. Have to remember that when i get that far along.

John

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 PM
SunDown
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
No. The fender is lower than the running board lower egde. The bracket is higher than the running board outer edge, maybe by 1/2 in

Sam
Sam,
What part of the front fender is the lowest point? I will use that point for my suspension measurements.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
i can't tell ya now jason as my truck has the clip off and is slowly coming apart , but i'm with sam . both of my fenders were slightly lower 1/2 to 3/4 i want too say , than my boards . but take that with a grain of salt as the ol' girl had been rode hard and put away wet . p.s. yer buddy ever buy those flatty parts ?? . later dude !!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Sam,
What part of the front fender is the lowest point? I will use that point for my suspension measurements.
I will measure later today

Sam

Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
SunDown
Senior User
Sam,
I really appreciate it!

I did end up getting rid of my flattie, aluminum and iron heads with the trans... traded for a custom built four link, all four airbags, brackets, and eight 1/2" valves.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
Sam,
I really appreciate it!

I did end up getting rid of my flattie, aluminum and iron heads with the trans... traded for a custom built four link, all four airbags, brackets, and eight 1/2" valves.

cool..

on the measurements the front fender is not as far beyond the running board as I remembered.

floor to bottom of running board bracket - 5-3/4
floor to bottom edge of running board 4-7/8
floor to bottom of front fender, trailing edge, 4-5/8

front to back, mine are the same measurements +/- 1/4in

Sam

this is my down airbagged position

Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
SunDown
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
cool..

on the measurements the front fender is not as far beyond the running board as I remembered.

floor to bottom of running board bracket - 5-3/4
floor to bottom edge of running board 4-7/8
floor to bottom of front fender, trailing edge, 4-5/8

front to back, mine are the same measurements +/- 1/4in

Sam

this is my down airbagged position
Sam that is perfect! Thats what I was after! Thank you SO much!