Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

Lowest point on 53-55 F100... bottom lip of the running board question

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lowest point on 53-55 F100... bottom lip of the running board question

 
  #1  
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
SunDown's Avatar
SunDown
SunDown is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Granger IA
Posts: 247
SunDown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lowest point on 53-55 F100... bottom lip of the running board question

This question might be a bit obscure but I am wondering if the running boards on the 53-55 f100's are the lowest point of the body. I mean the lower lip of the running board? I assume that it is but on both my 53 and my 55 I dont have running boards.

I am in the process of getting diamentional information so when I bag the front I can make sure that the lowest point of the body (the lower lip of the running boards) appears to make contact with the ground after the airbag is fully compressed... not before. I would rather not have anything on this truck drag... thats what the mini is for.

I have the running board brackets but do not know if the lowest point of the bracket is equilivent to the lowest point on the running board lip.

can anyone shed any light?
 
  #2  
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
lexcoe's Avatar
lexcoe
lexcoe is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Byron Bay Australia
Posts: 581
lexcoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
on my 56 Panel the running board lip is around 3/4 to 1 inch lower than the brackets, BUT the original gearbox crossmember is lower by about another inch or so.
Hope that helps, dont think pickups are any different........

John
 
  #3  
Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
sdetweil's Avatar
sdetweil
sdetweil is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Pflugerville, tx
Posts: 11,599
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SunDown View Post
This question might be a bit obscure but I am wondering if the running boards on the 53-55 f100's are the lowest point of the body. I mean the lower lip of the running board? I assume that it is but on both my 53 and my 55 I dont have running boards.

I am in the process of getting diamentional information so when I bag the front I can make sure that the lowest point of the body (the lower lip of the running boards) appears to make contact with the ground after the airbag is fully compressed... not before. I would rather not have anything on this truck drag... thats what the mini is for.

I have the running board brackets but do not know if the lowest point of the bracket is equilivent to the lowest point on the running board lip.

can anyone shed any light?
No. The fender is lower than the running board lower egde. The bracket is higher than the running board outer edge, maybe by 1/2 in

Sam
 
  #4  
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
lexcoe's Avatar
lexcoe
lexcoe is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Byron Bay Australia
Posts: 581
lexcoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK, good point, i presently dont have the front fenders fitted so that makes sense. Have to remember that when i get that far along.

John
 
  #5  
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 PM
SunDown's Avatar
SunDown
SunDown is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Granger IA
Posts: 247
SunDown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
No. The fender is lower than the running board lower egde. The bracket is higher than the running board outer edge, maybe by 1/2 in

Sam
Sam,
What part of the front fender is the lowest point? I will use that point for my suspension measurements.
 
  #6  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 AM
55 f350's Avatar
55 f350
55 f350 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: springfield il
Posts: 5,776
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
i can't tell ya now jason as my truck has the clip off and is slowly coming apart , but i'm with sam . both of my fenders were slightly lower 1/2 to 3/4 i want too say , than my boards . but take that with a grain of salt as the ol' girl had been rode hard and put away wet . p.s. yer buddy ever buy those flatty parts ?? . later dude !!
 
  #7  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM
sdetweil's Avatar
sdetweil
sdetweil is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Pflugerville, tx
Posts: 11,599
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SunDown View Post
Sam,
What part of the front fender is the lowest point? I will use that point for my suspension measurements.
I will measure later today

Sam
 
  #8  
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
SunDown's Avatar
SunDown
SunDown is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Granger IA
Posts: 247
SunDown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sam,
I really appreciate it!

I did end up getting rid of my flattie, aluminum and iron heads with the trans... traded for a custom built four link, all four airbags, brackets, and eight 1/2" valves.
 
  #9  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
sdetweil's Avatar
sdetweil
sdetweil is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Pflugerville, tx
Posts: 11,599
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SunDown View Post
Sam,
I really appreciate it!

I did end up getting rid of my flattie, aluminum and iron heads with the trans... traded for a custom built four link, all four airbags, brackets, and eight 1/2" valves.

cool..

on the measurements the front fender is not as far beyond the running board as I remembered.

floor to bottom of running board bracket - 5-3/4
floor to bottom edge of running board 4-7/8
floor to bottom of front fender, trailing edge, 4-5/8

front to back, mine are the same measurements +/- 1/4in

Sam

this is my down airbagged position
 
  #10  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
SunDown's Avatar
SunDown
SunDown is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Granger IA
Posts: 247
SunDown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
cool..

on the measurements the front fender is not as far beyond the running board as I remembered.

floor to bottom of running board bracket - 5-3/4
floor to bottom edge of running board 4-7/8
floor to bottom of front fender, trailing edge, 4-5/8

front to back, mine are the same measurements +/- 1/4in

Sam

this is my down airbagged position
Sam that is perfect! Thats what I was after! Thank you SO much!
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
topmoo
WTB - Parts & other
3
11-20-2014 01:34 PM
bjmayberry2
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
3
09-24-2014 01:37 PM
tinman52
Ford Truck Parts for Sale
0
09-11-2013 10:56 PM
Steves55
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
5
12-07-2010 07:33 PM
50f-1
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
5
06-22-2009 08:42 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowest point on 53-55 F100... bottom lip of the running board question


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.