HPOP res drains after HPOP failure.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HPOP res drains after HPOP failure.

Originally Posted by woodnthings
If you have a oil gallery passage that is not restricted as designed, you will not be able to build oil pressure. As you crank the engine the HPOP will demand oil from the reservoir. With the low pressure oil being abnormally low the reservoir will not be filled properly. It could be caused from something like I mentioned before or it could be something with your LPOP.

Did you inspect the front cover where the LPOP is located? They have been known to be the problem with low oil pressure.

If it is draining on it's own I would check the anti-drain check ball in the valley. If it is stuck open the oil will drain back to the pan when shut off.

Can this anti drainback valve be serviced without pulling the front cover. When I looked at it, it sits under the front cover but there may be enough room for it to come out. Thought one of you might know! The problem I'm having is ever since my HPOP gave out my res will slowly drain back down and I'm thought this could be my problem. Any other thought would be appreciated!! Note that I am now running my original HPOP and once the truck is cranked and running there are no other issues. And it only takes it a couple of seconds and my pressure gauge on the dash is reading normal. I never had this problem till my new HPOP gave out and that I'm sure of because it was monitored for hard start issues. End result of hard start was LPOP which was changed with the molling from Clay!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The anti-drain check ball is removed from the valley. If you look from the drivers side down behind the HPOP reservoir you will see a 3/8" or maybe 1/2" square drive plug. You should be able to remove it and the checkball/spring then. If your valley is dirty it may be hard to see. Use an air gun to blow the dirt and grime away and you will see it.

Here is a picture of it.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
I have seen it. Just wasent sure it could be removed. I was looking through the obs forum and I found a pic of a 94-95 HPOP with the check valve built into it and the SPR1 pump I had installed had this check valve in it. I sure hope this did not lead to this premature failure. The valve may have even been deleted and they just used a 15 deg housing to build this SPR1. IDK. Could something have gone wrong in there with this 15deg housing.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
At 1:20sec. you can see where the pump looks like its from a 94-95 15deg. pump. Maybe some of that brass is stuck in the check valve.
YouTube - Trashed hpop

Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Bump for myself! I'll be trying another hpop tonight and I'll check the check valve but could there be anything else I should look at?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It could have some debris in it that keeps it draining. It is a pretty simple set-up so just removing it and re-installing would dislodge any debris.

Do you have shavings in your oil?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
No but it definatly had a gold tint to it. Everyone I asked about it said the brass would be filtered out and shouldn't hurt anything but it definatly hurt my feelings not knowing if this could have some long term negative effects!!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Your oil filter should catch anything that the LPOP picks up.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Your oil filter should catch anything that the LPOP picks up.
That's good news!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM
TerminatorEng.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David, how low is it draining down? All the way? Or just to the bottom of the removed reservoir?

Another thought, would be to change your oil and flush the pan out with some diesel or solvent. Maybe the flow of a thinner liquid might get some of the brass off the bottom of the pan. We have done this with tractors in the past. If you decide to flush it out, use a couple gallons and dump it directly over the cam gear, since that is the where the brass was directed.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
I can tell you how far from the top it is, bout 3-4 inches from the top. It's like this everytime it sits overnight. So far I've heard o three ways for the res to empty itself, 1 through the check valve, 2 through the seal on the hpop, 3 through the outer injector o ring. The first 2 seem to be fairly easy to rule out and the third one would also explain my low icp numbers in the tunes! But why would this prob show up only after the hpop failure? I ran the truck for a about 80 miles then changed the oil. Do I still need to flush it?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I wish I could be of more help to you David, Im praying you get this figured out soon.
This would drive me to drink....

Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
I think your on to something Joey with the reservoir cause when I reinstalled the pump I
Had dropped the washer and had to pull the reservoir and there may be something up with the gasket. I'm thinking that the gasket could if been pinched or have a little tear in it. My fingers are crossed that this is it!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 AM
TerminatorEng.
Senior User
That is my thoughts as well. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bulla
Bump for myself! I'll be trying another hpop tonight and I'll check the check valve but could there be anything else I should look at?
What hpop are you installing? Did they send you a replacement, or are you going with a different one?

Quick Reply: HPOP res drains after HPOP failure.