1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wheels dont fit fender opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy wheels dont fit fender opening

i have 1 51 f1 with a heidts mII front suspension installed. Today i put front sheet metal on to make sure it all worked. It didnt i can not turn mt wheels without them hitting the fenders. Anyone have any suggestions on tires and rims that would work. Hoppfully i dont have to cut bigger fender holes

Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Kind of sounds like the wheels have too much offset to the outside but I think we (well I) would need a picture to see what you have and where the problem is, kind of hard to recommend something when I don’t know what you have now. What size are they?

I have the same truck with the same front end kit but my front sheet metal is in cold storage (outside shed) and I haven’t fitted it yet so I can’t help with that at this time. I could measure my tire location, are they too far out to the side or to the rear or?

I will post a pic because it might help?

Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2011, 09:59 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
ill try to send some pictures tomorrow.Ill also have to check the tir size i believe they are 15" 235

Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Not all MII IFSs are created equal...there are different width a-arms to accomodate different applications. While you are taking pictures, take a measurement of the width of the front end from flange to flange...it may just be the wheel offset but then again you may have longer a-arms than you need. There's a lot of room under those fat fenders...I don't think that tire size should really matter if everything else is in order.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:14 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and here is a form that will help you measure for tires & wheels.

Billet Specialties - Measuring Guide & Order Form

this will give you facts to work with.

sam

Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by agronomistont
ill try to send some pictures tomorrow.Ill also have to check the tir size i believe they are 15" 235
IMHO, I think 2:35s are too big for the front anyway. The 2:25 or even 2:15 would be a better size for the front. The 235's would be good for the rear. I agree with the others that the problem is likely in the offset. What width and offset wheels are we talking about? I was limited to 6 inch wide wheels with zero offset on the front of my 48 but I used a Volare...

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
'50 F1

I've got MII IFS on my '50; I'm going with 6" X 15" rims; with 3 3/4" backspace based on clearance of rear wheels to bed. Bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5. I pickup wheels from paint this week, then considering 215 65R or thereabouts as I have slight issue with tire height. Will test fit sizes to get what I need.

Tom

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
This isn't really the info we need. We need the exact wheel information, size, width, and offset. You said you think they may be 15", but what width and offset? If they're 15x10's with a 3" backspace, you're going to have problems, and cutting your fenders is NOT the answer. The more accurate info you provide, the better we can help you.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
sorry im new to all of this. How do measure offset and backspace

Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
offset is the relative distance from the center of the wheel in/out..

so the way to measure the current wheel offset is to lay the wheel, outside face, down, no tire, and lay something across the wheel.. then measure from the wheel side edge of that straight edge to the mounting surface..

then repeat on the other side of the wheel.

zero offset is when both those measurements are the same.

more towards the outside is + offset and more toward the inside is - offset. the difference from 0 is the offset measurement..

backspacing is the total distance on the back side of the wheel to the mounting surface.. so its the same measurement as step 1 above, but it is the actual measurement.

so, an 8 inch wheel with 0 offset, the mounting flange is 4 inches from both front and back sides of the wheel, with 4 in backspacing.

a -.5 offset yields a measurement of 3.5 on the back, 4.5 on the front and a backspacing of 3.5.

offset is a pita to measure cause you need to know the center of the wheel. (you can do it with TWO straight edges, one on each side of the wheel and measire inside edge to inside edge thru the center opening)
backspacing is easier, cause its the actual measurement..

the billet specialties form deals with backspacing.

Sam

Old 02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
than you haven been able to get to shop today. ive busy shovelling mine and half of the neighbourhoods snow,i should get out there later after i defrost.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Hopefully this will help...

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
than you haven been able to get to shop today. ive busy shovelling mine and half of the neighbourhoods snow,i should get out there later after i defrost.
Translation from Ontario-ese to English;

Thank you. I have been unable to get to shop today. I have been busy shoveling mine and half of the neighborhoods snow. I should get out there later, after I defrost.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
sorry I didnt get back to any one yesterday. Iadjusted my coil overs and got enough clearance to turn the wheels but they will rub if I ever get the truck on the road. The tires are P225/75R15 they measure aprox 9.5 inches wide. If Iunderstood the directions for backspace I have a -1 (the back side of rim measures4.75 in and the front measures 3.75". the total widith flange to flange is 60" (it was hard to measure by myself with all sheet metal on and engine in). Any help that anyone can give me would be helpful

Last edited by agronomistont; 02-22-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
I think I have finally figured out ho w to add pictures

These pictures show the clearance issues beter

Quick Reply: wheels dont fit fender opening