Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Manual Transmission and Boat Towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM
malibubts
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Transmission and Boat Towing

Alright I'm looking at getting an F250 in the next several months and am considering a manual transmission. Is there anyone out there that tows boats with a manual? My only concern is backing down the ramp and getting back up it after getting the boat in. So how does a manual preform in this situation?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
works great. Grant it, i dont have a heavy boat (3k), but i dump it, then throw in 1st, and let'ur craw back up.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think there's any real advantage to a stick shift while backing a boat down a ramp.

Going back uphill I like the stick a lot better. Test drive one and drop it into the low granny gear and let the clutch out. No reason to touch the accelerator when you do, just let the clutch out nice and steady. It will get you going without any fear of having to rev the motor too much and causing the tires to spin.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Old and Busted
Junior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Test drive one and drop it into the low granny gear and let the clutch out. No reason to touch the accelerator when you do, just let the clutch out nice and steady. It will get you going without any fear of having to rev the motor too much and causing the tires to spin.
I'm a big fan of this and the rest of the added control you get from the 6 speed. That said I might want the auto if I wasn't towing boats for a living!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 AM
moomba2002
Freshman User
I love my 6 speed and towing. I have a camper that weighs almost 5k loaded plus the boat and launching and retrieving is a piece of cake. And yes the granny 1st gear is awesome for this purpose.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Throw it in low range if it's a 4x4. Stick it in granny low gear and a baby can crawl faster! Extremely fine control of the vehicle speed.
I'll never buy a truck with an automatic transmission.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 AM
malibubts
New User
Thanks for the thoughts guys! Doesn't sound like the 6 Speed has a disadvantage at all at the ramp.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Yeah my friend (Turboner) just puts it in 4 low on some ramps but usually doesnt need to. Not sure exactly how much his boat weighs but i know its at least 5k.

Don't even need to gas it in 4 low...but it might take you 10 minutes to get up the ramp

Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
malibubts
New User
Got another manual related question, that has nothing to do with towing. How bad is parallel parking with the 6 speed? I will be doing quite a bit of this and am a bit worried.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by malibubts
Got another manual related question, that has nothing to do with towing. How bad is parallel parking with the 6 speed? I will be doing quite a bit of this and am a bit worried.
meaning you live in the city? if you're going to be parking on steep hills, etc then it sucks...on flat ground it's not that bad. reverse is extremely slow, as is 1st gear. why dont you just do a test drive and see how you like it. it's all a matter of preference

Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 AM
orng1
Postmaster
I love the manual, it's easy to park. No gas needed just let the clutch out slow and keep your foot above the brake. I wish I could have bought my truck with a manual transmission.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM
stroken7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by malibubts

Once you get usd to driving it you'll have no problems doing anything. I love my 6 speed, I won't have an auto.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
ZF6 driver here who lives in a crowded city.
Parking is very easy, just let the clutch out to the point of engagement, never need to use the throttle even on a steep Seattle hill.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I tow a 5ver ALOT and have launched boat many, many times with my 6spd. No complaints. Like they said, no need to touch accelerator. I also use 2wd low range all the time when backing stuff around tight spaces - its nice to be able to take my foot all the way off clutch.

Speaking of clutch... The stocker engaged smoothly and lasted 180k miles, but i swear my left leg will always be bigger from the WORKOUT. Then, i put in a LUK clutch. Much easier pedal, but kinda grabby. It get smoother over 100k miles but apparently not up to the task - the clutch disk was falling apart and friction material was gone. Currently have a SB Con OFE (dual friction - ceramic/organic linings) and love it.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I tow a 5ver ALOT and have launched boat many, many times with my 6spd. No complaints. Like they said, no need to touch accelerator. I also use 2wd low range all the time when backing stuff around tight spaces - its nice to be able to take my foot all the way off clutch.

Speaking of clutch... The stocker engaged smoothly and lasted 180k miles, but i swear my left leg will always be bigger from the WORKOUT. Then, i put in a LUK clutch. Much easier pedal, but kinda grabby. It get smoother over 100k miles but apparently not up to the task - the clutch disk was falling apart and friction material was gone. Currently have a SB Con OFE (dual friction - ceramic/organic linings) and love it.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission and Boat Towing