6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

For you 6.0 owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
First off, the 6.0L is all about proper service. You just cannot go 10, 15, 20K miles without an oil change like you can with some other model diesels such as the 7.3L. These trucks do like proper service intervals and procedures.
Can't argue with that one.

One of the biggest complaints has been head studs or head gasket issues. A lot of people have installed bigger turbos or tuners that open the boost up, but they do nothing to the motor to allow for the added boost. This is a problem, and the reason why studs stretch and eventually lead to gasket failure. A stock 6.0 does not have these issues.
Head bolts really. Headgasket "failure" is due to head bolt stretching. Gaskets are a symptom, not a root cause. We aren't talking about the 02-04 Mustangs with the thin passanger head gasket issues.

More often then not, I can show that it was a dip wad owner that caused the head bolts to stretch, mainly due to using **** poor a/m "tuning". However, International did have that incident with the robots not properly torquing down the bolts from the factory.

Another issue has been the EGR valve and EGR cooler. This is a bad design. The EGR, though simple to take off and clean, does clog up from time to time and is prone to failures. The cooler also is a poor design. While the EGR can be deleted, the best thing you can do to extend the life of the EGR system is to not allow the truck to idle for too long.
I disagree here. Most EGR failures in my opinion of been misdiagnosed Oil Cooler failures that went untreated and caused the EGR cooler to fail. The oil cooler does have an iffy design to it(thin passageways) and that will cause low coolant flow to the EGR Cooler.

If the EGR Cooler was of poor design from the factory from the get go, I doubt that flow 40% more fuel then stock that I would be able to not only have a fully functional EGR Cooler, but the original one that I had when I took ownership of the truck at 20 miles.

Like head gaskets, the egr cooler is more of a symptom not the root cause. Which is why both are thought of as issues with the 6.0.

Thirdly, the 6.0L has been known to have injector failures. A lot of this can be prevented by proper oil change intervals, not allowing the truck to drop below 1/4 tank, and using the proper oils and filters. As an added level of protection, I put in a little Diesel Kleen every other tank, and plan on using Rev-X in the oil changes, just to make sure I don't have issues down the road.
Not to mention going to high volume diesel stations. I'm not one that does the diesel kleen or Rev-x or anything along those lines for fuel and/or oil "supplement".

The turbo veins sticking are another issue that can be avoided by proper oil changes and also by allowing the truck to properly cool down after the turbocharger has been worked hard.
Turbo sticking is more often then not related to EGR valve getting gunked up from things like excessive idling, short trips etc when the owner doesn't every once and awhile burn off the extra carbon on the valve. You can have issues with not using fresh oil when you are supposed to, but far more turbo troubles are related to a gunked up EGR valve. And that can cascade into even more horrid failure.

I think that's the biggest fear inducing fact about the 6.0 is the relationship that all the systems of to one another. If you aren't on top of everything, you can have a lot of crap happen to you all at once if you don't watch it.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 PM
fdaugher
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you pull?

I'm happy with my 6.0 but have had to change out the ICP and IPR this winter. Also I didn't rodeo this summer and believe I didn't work it hard enough this year to keep the carbon burned out. The EGR was replaced last summer but it and EBP tube gummed up causing some turbo flags this winter. All the techs I've talked to said the 6.0 needs to be worked. If your looking to use it more as a commuter vehicle I'd look to something else. I used my 7.3 more as a commuter and had 180K trouble free miles. My dad uses his 7.3 mostly to commute or pull light loads and has around 250K on his. His only major repairs has been a couple of Cam Position Sensors and he did put new glow plugs in it last year.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the problems with my truck too. But I still love it. 115K and I am on my third turbo and 2nd EGR. I still have the stock head bolts and no failure yet. Last time I had it in the told me there was a rear output seal leaking (it doesn't seem to loose any oil though.....so I can just keep leaking) They also told me my exhaust manifold is starting to leak....but just a little. But I love driving this truck. And I have too much wrapped up in this thing to consider a new one.

And might I add that they all fail here and there. My 95' 7.3 had miss aligned pulleys on the drive belt and it took them over a year to figure out why the belt just kept coming off for no good reason.

The 6.4 has poor MPG and they are known for "drivability" issues up here.

And Cummins has thier issues. google "Cummins case action law suit".....Has to do with the EGR and Blue TEC on the 07 - present has to do with sticking turbos and gummed EGR valves.

And the Duramax........Plz

I love mine it pulls great. But do yourself a huge favor, dont buy a diesel truck unless you need a diesel truck. They dont make good grocery getters and you will be on here whinning if you dont make it work.....hard.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:39 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks everybody for the input. Its really appreciated.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 AM
402xjeeper
Junior User
I did choose to buy another 6.0, after I went through all the troubles with my 04 6.0 running tuners and stuff back in 04-06, I got mad and sold it. 2 f150 supercrews and a jeep commander later I bought another 04 6.0, today the EGR/oil cooler related problems are understood and fixes are available, and the poor reputation makes used 6.0s a bargain.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
jlarocca95
Freshman User
FWIW...my 6.0L let a rod out for air yesterday while cruising down the highway. I'm sure my problem is an exception to the rule as I haven't read about it anywhere else. The only "common" issue I've had with the truck has been the FICM going dead at just over 100K miles.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 150ford
So if you had the chance to do it again. Would you buy another one? I was thinking off getting another truck a used 6.0 but Im up in limbo about that with the issues people have had. Or go to a 6.4 or the new 6.7. What do you think guys? I was thinking off asking this question here before posting on the 6.o forum.

YUP! If I could go back to 2006, yea

from the day I bought it to now, there are some things I would have changed but they are not that bad.

I love my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 PM
mezcalero280cal
Freshman User
Well after reading all this great info on the 6.0 I will need to find one for my 2008 f-450. My problem is that I'm fairly new to these engines so I'll have to ask you all where or how I can start to find a 6.0 . I live in canton,Ga. just north of Atlanta...any guidance will be greatly appreciated.