MAF (mass airflow sensor) cleanup day - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF (mass airflow sensor) cleanup day

Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
MAF (mass airflow sensor) cleanup day

In between sneaking peeks at the Daytona race today, I'm cleaning the MAF. In case you haven't done this, here's a quick pictoral.
1. pop off the air filter housing
2. oops, pull out the key, disconnect the battery
3. pop off the MAF assembly from the filter housing with a screw driver (gently)
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
4. disconnect the wiring from the sensor.
5. place it on a workspace and get out the spray.
6. Spray sensor thoroughly.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2011, 01:43 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

7. Let it all dry well before reinstalling.
8. If you run an oily airfilter, clean it up while you're in there.
9. Don't over oil or you'll be doing this again soon.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Elder User

VONxRUBENxLA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is great thank u!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:23 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

From the Future:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh818 View Post
Make sure you disconnect the negative terminal on your battery before you begin. Don't want to accidentally short something. Plus, it will be long enough for the computer to reset and relearn your druving pattern with the cleaned MAF sensor.
Thanks John!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Senior User

CrzHelm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CrzHelm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
in past 2 vehicles i damaged 2 of those mass air sensors from using k&n oil type filters. between the cost of the k&n, new air sensors, and oil cleaning kit, I would never recoupe the money spent in trying to save 1or2 mpg. just by the cheapest air filter every year and you'll be better off.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior User

CrzHelm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CrzHelm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
and to those who insist on using the oil... just keep your old cheap filter to use for a day or 2 while your filter soaks up the oil. trick is very little oil and let it sit at least a day or 2. if you try to spray it all up to make it look red your gonna wind up with problems.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Posting Guru

jasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to behold
Thanks wpnaes! The pics made the job really easy. Had some dirt built up on there and now have as smoother idle. Truck just sounds happier.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Freshman User

Thor2911 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

Thanks for the post on this issue. I purchased my X with the K&N filter on it. I am going to clean it today and hopefully not over oil the darn thing. Should I clean the MAF sensor on a regular basis? Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 05:24 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

I clean it once a year. I clean the K&N every 6 months or so.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Thread added to the tech folder.

Stewart
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks Stewart.

JWA encountered this issue while cleaning, I thought it might come in handy for others: (Thx JWA!)

MAF Cleaning

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Noticed your great post about MAF cleaning---nice photos, makes it easier for those never attempting this operation.

I also did this but encountered a minor problem with the pressed-in threaded inserts that hold the sensor in the intake tube. Photos here:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x.../AirDuct88.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x.../AirDuct89.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x.../AirDuct11.jpg

If these would be useful to include in your post and/or tech folder please feel free to use them. This might not be a common thing but might be helpful to know in advance it can happen.

J W A
Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
That sucks. Super glue should do the trick.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Senior User

myblkex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post
Thanks Stewart.

JWA encountered this issue while cleaning, I thought it might come in handy for others: (Thx JWA!)

MAF Cleaning

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Noticed your great post about MAF cleaning---nice photos, makes it easier for those never attempting this operation.

I also did this but encountered a minor problem with the pressed-in threaded inserts that hold the sensor in the intake tube. Photos here:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x.../AirDuct88.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x.../AirDuct89.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x.../AirDuct11.jpg

If these would be useful to include in your post and/or tech folder please feel free to use them. This might not be a common thing but might be helpful to know in advance it can happen.

J W A

Some Great info here -- Just what I was looking for. Gonna clean mine this weekend
Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Senior User

king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.
Can someone tell me where the MAF sensor is on my 02 Excursion with a k&n cold air kit on it? I don't see anything resembling the picture in mine...