6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Real world gas mileage with the 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iggy2
When I was pulling with a similiar head wind I never put it in Tow Haul Mode and also used 4th and 5th most of the time.
I thought Tow Haul Mode was designed for up and down hills when you needed more torque or for braking.
I was running 55/60 mph also and got a little better mileage than you.
I got 7.5 to 7.8 MPG which I thought was low.
I only have a 2x4 and not a 4x4.
From the manual:

• Activate the tow/haul feature to eliminate excessive transmission
shifting and assist in transmission cooling. For additional information,
refer to Automatic transmission operation in the Driving chapter.

I am not sure how it effects the cooling - but the manual says it helps...

Old 05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Do you have the Trailer Sway Control?
By default it is turned on and is designed if it feels that the trailer is swaying/slipping/sliding with compensate automatically by appling the trucks brakes. This may be the cause of your low mileage.
I have on occation turned it OFF while towing because I felt it was doing something that mad the truck more unstable during cross winds.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Sargemo105
Senior User
Originally Posted by iggy2
Do you have the Trailer Sway Control?
By default it is turned on and is designed if it feels that the trailer is swaying/slipping/sliding with compensate automatically by appling the trucks brakes. This may be the cause of your low mileage.
I have on occation turned it OFF while towing because I felt it was doing something that mad the truck more unstable during cross winds.
Hmmmm, I don't know. I'll have to look into that. I had to completly re-do my stabilizer hitch due to the change in hieght of the receiver. I was not happy with the amount of sway while driving which I attributed to the strong winds and not enough pressure on the anti-sway bars. But now that you mentioned this, I recall reading someone else posting the Trailer Sway Control creating more problems than it cured. I'll have to research the 'how to' on turning it off.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I turned my sway control off and seen a noticeable difference in towing without it. I tried with it and without. I think the sway bars and the trucks sway control fight each other and end up making it worse. I can see how that can make the gas mileage go down, if it is hitting the brakes while go forward, makes sense.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Sargemo105
Senior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
I turned my sway control off and seen a noticeable difference in towing without it. I tried with it and without. I think the sway bars and the trucks sway control fight each other and end up making it worse. I can see how that can make the gas mileage go down, if it is hitting the brakes while go forward, makes sense.
I just read the owners manual and it looks like if you want to disconnect the Sway Control you need to do it each time you shut off and start your truck. Just need to flip thru the menu until you get to the appropriate screen to access that function. I won't be towing the camper until Memorial weekend, but I will shut it off and report trailer control AND mileage.

STANDARD MESSAGE CENTER
Your vehicle’s message center is capable of monitoring many vehicle
systems and will alert you to potential vehicle problems and various
conditions with an informational message followed by a long indicator
chime.
The message center display is located in the instrument cluster and the
controls are located on the steering wheel.
Instrument Cluster

TRAILER SWAY (if equipped)
This feature uses the electronic stability control to mitigate trailer sway,
Press RESET to turn it off or on.

Last edited by Sargemo105; 05-16-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added owner's manual excerpts
Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
itherrkr
Freshman User
I find the trailer sway control maddening. With it on I feel like I am weaving down the road. Without it, everything feels normal. I wish we could permanently turn it off.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by itherrkr
I find the trailer sway control maddening. With it on I feel like I am weaving down the road. Without it, everything feels normal. I wish we could permanently turn it off.

I totally agree with your statement. I also feel like it is making the truck sway. I just had my truck for that and they checked the tires and front end and didn't find anything. I will have to remibd myself to turn it off each time and see if that makes a difference.

Let's see if others feel the same about the sway control ON or OFF.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Well seems like its coming around. I got about 60 miles on my second tank after installing the Airaid intake. 100% city driving with stop and go traffic at night. Getting 12.3 mpg now, before was around 11.5. Can see and feel a difference in power, mainly when towing. Took my trailer out for a little ride to see and was getting about 10.2 with some city and some highway. Going camping this weekend with more highway travel with the camper so that will give a better indication on how things work.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Sargemo105
Senior User
Great to hear about your mileage increase kmonty2. Might just have to put the Airaid on my 'must' list. Keep posting your info and opinions on that after market add-on.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

x2

Thanks For posting kmonty2.. Please keep us informed on the mileage - for 1mpg increase that is worth the money... I was planning on keeping it stock - but if your seeing that kind of result I will change mine out -

I haven't seen Mike (5Star) around much lately but I wonder if the custom tune can enhance the Airaid more??

Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Remember guys, this is only my second tank of gas. I will know more next week after towing and driving on the highway more. Going to take it down to 1/4 before putting gas in again. I also did have the trans flash done. Whether it was for the diesel only or not, the dealership put it on, and it has been better. Not one glitch since.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 PM
DirtEngineer
New User
Hey All - first post here. Just picked up my truck last week. Ran through the first tank of fuel, and ended up with 14mpg, mostly stop-and-go city traffic. I've got the Lariat CC Short Box 4x4.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by DirtEngineer
Hey All - first post here. Just picked up my truck last week. Ran through the first tank of fuel, and ended up with 14mpg, mostly stop-and-go city traffic. I've got the Lariat CC Short Box 4x4.
Congrats on the new truck. It sure feels great doesn't it!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:54 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DirtEngineer
Congrats on the new.
Now how you getting 14 mpg's, do you have a diesel?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats DirtEngineer, let us know what diff you have as well.

Quick Reply: Real world gas mileage with the 6.2