Sponsored by:

transmission issues in my new 92

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
transmission issues in my new 92

OK, so my "new to me" 92 has some issues. I guess I should start with the transmission.

I'm not too up on the computer controlled trucks, but I can do good research if I'm pointed in the right directions. Bear with me, and I'll get it.

I pulled my VIN, and it says I have a "4 SPD AUTO TR-NAAO E4OD(4R100)". It shifts hard into each gear. VERY hard. It seems to shift on time, and downshifts when you would expect it to, but I've never felt a transmission that shifted this hard. It'll clack your teeth together if you're holding your mouth wrong...

Fluid level looks good. No leaks to speak of. PO said that a few things started acting funny after he power-washed the block down last week. I don't know if one has anything to do with the other, but the engine started idling very low at about the same time, he says. Other than a low idle (and I'll have to verify that with my own tach), the engine seems to run fine, if maybe just a little on the warm side.

Any ideas on the trans shifting issue?
<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, you should do a fluid flush on that tranny, and replace the gaskets and the filter. Adding a tranny cooler should help also. I think the computer can diagnose some issues on the tranny (pulling codes), but i'm not very sure. I read that you bought that truck at a very nice price, i hope it doesn't give you much trouble . And welcome to this side of the forum!.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
It's already got a trans cooler. According to the service records I have, it had a fluid replacement and filter service last year.

I'll have to see about getting my local mechanic to pull codes for me Monday. I don't have a code reader, and as of right now, I don't know how to use one. I'll change that limitation ASAP. I really don't like paying someone to do for me what I should be able to do for myself.... My '85 is carbed and has a C6, so I didn't need this ability 'till now.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:20 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely pull Codes. your shift issues could be engine/performance-related. the same computer controls both the engine functions AND E4OD shift functions. If one is out of line, the other will suffer.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Definitely pull Codes. your shift issues could be engine/performance-related. the same computer controls both the engine functions AND E4OD shift functions. If one is out of line, the other will suffer.
Bought a code reader. It'll be here Wednesday. The OD button on the shift lever is busted. Seems not only is the button and cap missing, the the housing on the lever is all broke. Looks like the po tried to JB Weld the thing back together. Am I going to have to replace the whole lever to fix this?

Sorry for the out-of-focus pic. I couldn't get the camera to focus on the foreground item. It wanted to focus instead on the background.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:06 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The computer needs the overdrive cancel switch to work and so do you if you want the truck to shift properly. The switch should really be cycled on and off during the diagnostics tests otherwise you will ALWAYS get Codes 65, 97, or 629 when you run the diagnostics tests. Not to mention the fact that you have no way to control whether the transmission ever uses the overdrive gear.

The stalk is replaceable. Heck I think the switch assembly at the end of it is a separate item. Check the Forum Sponsor website or NPD, LMC. Once you have it fixed, clear fault codes from the computer by disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes. Reconnect and go for about a thirty minute drive.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
I'm gonna start replacing the obviously broken switches and any other electronics first thing this week, while I'm waiting on my code reader to get here. Gonna check the junkyard on Monday for compatible vehicles to scrounge.

Oh yea, how do I get this dang headlight **** off??

Old 02-20-2011, 04:30 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a spring that holds the ***** on,,wipper is same way on my '91. Take a small screwdriver or pick and look for a small notch at the base of the ****. press this in, towards the **** and pull gently. It should slide off.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FourXFord2
There is a spring that holds the ***** on,,wipper is same way on my '91. Take a small screwdriver or pick and look for a small notch at the base of the ****. press this in, towards the **** and pull gently. It should slide off.
Yea, I got it. PO did a job when he tried to get behind the bezel. Broke off EVERY bezel clip, broke off the two screw tabs that hold the bezel on, and broke off the screw posts that hold on the 4x4 switch and the rear window switch. This bezel is totally useless now.

I had a hard time getting the headlight **** off because the spring tab was all deformed when the po tried to pry off the **** or something. I knew how to use a little screwdriver to release the tab, but it wasn't working right because the tab was all bent up.

At least now I can test the 4x4 switch.