Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT BRAKE CALIPER PIN UPGRADE

Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM
lhud
Elder User
lhud has a good reputation on FTE.lhud has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey guys,
After replacing my front calipers and including the caliper pin upgrade with one pin using the rubber bushing on the end, I decided to replace that pin with a standard pin.
Reason: When I tried to pull the rubber bushed pin from the bore, it was almost impossible. I had to chuck it in a vise and use vise grips to pull it out and it was not easy. That pin would NOT slide in the bore like the regular pin.
Now, after replacing the upgraded pin it slides just like the other pin.
I do not think I did anything incorrectly as I have done many break jobs on other trucks and several on this one.
I am still "in the dark" as to why the upgrade was necessary. I know some say it is to keep the dust from that end of the pin, but the dust boots do that and why not the other pin likewise.
I know some of you claim the upgraded pins work just fine, but I would challenge you to confirm the rubber bushed pin slides just like the other one.

Thanks,

Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.
Ihud, gotta go with you on this one. I just did mine yesterday, fought with one of the "new" slide pins, didn't like the bushing action, so cleaned up my old ones and lubed them. I was lucky one hadn't siezed yet, it was pretty rusty. Like someone else mentioned, a small bore bottle brush type hone works great for cleaning the bore.
Not sure why, I was very sure to clean out the bore, but the bushed pin did not work well.
Tom.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
BadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud of
Thanks for the update. And you have to do what you feel comfortable with because you are the one has to live with it. What lube did you use?

Old 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.
I am a former Honda tech, and they make a High Temp Grease for that purpose. At the dealer I recently left we used the Permatex grease, and it seemed to do fine. I was there for three years and never saw any issues. It was just cheaper for them to get then the Honda stuff.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Sorry, forgot to add, the biggest issue is just to lube the pins with something designed for the temp, like has been mentioned. I have seen a lot of caliper pins, and surprising how many would come from some other repair shop without any lube. And if you can go a couple of years between pads, and drive in high water, check them a couple of times a year. Of course more critical on lower cars from water.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM
lhud
Elder User
lhud has a good reputation on FTE.lhud has a good reputation on FTE.
I have been using the CRC high temp caliper pin grease, but I did pick up that Permatex, green label in a small can and used that on the second pin install. The original two pins were lubed with the CRC lube.
I just have a hard time believing the rubber bushed pins work and will still slide in the bore.
I am wondering if they are not made for the 2002 and possibly other models; however, Advanced Auto pulled up the upgrade kit when I asked to check the kit they supply for this model, etc.
Another observation and I think others have made mention of this - the upper pin (with the notched flange) has flat spots on the diameter whereas the lower pin is completely round. I also wonder what the reason for this might be.

Oh well, maybe a Ford design engineer or a brake design engineer might chime in with some suggestions.

Later,

Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
BadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lhud View Post
I have been using the CRC high temp caliper pin grease, but I did pick up that Permatex, green label in a small can and used that on the second pin install. The original two pins were lubed with the CRC lube.
I just have a hard time believing the rubber bushed pins work and will still slide in the bore.
I am wondering if they are not made for the 2002 and possibly other models; however, Advanced Auto pulled up the upgrade kit when I asked to check the kit they supply for this model, etc.
Another observation and I think others have made mention of this - the upper pin (with the notched flange) has flat spots on the diameter whereas the lower pin is completely round. I also wonder what the reason for this might be.

Oh well, maybe a Ford design engineer or a brake design engineer might chime in with some suggestions.

Later,
I agree we never see any Ford engineers stop in and explain anything. Except there is Mark and X Ford trans engineer and he is alway helpful when it comes to transmissions. Maybe they just decided we better over engineer something so we look busy Who know why?? And if the guys here don't know I don't think there is an answer to be had.

Last edited by BadDogKuzz; 02-27-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Brain fart
Old 11-05-2011, 04:51 PM
MikeSDK
Elder User
MikeSDK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Getting ready to do this tomorrow-

Guzzle's instructions state that one of the new pins hould be green and the other silver-

In the parts I got, they are both the same color. Just for my clarification,
the new pin with the notched flange is the top pin, and the new pin with the rubber bushing is the bottom pin, correct?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Kazer
New User
Kazer is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 04 all ready had them they seized had to heat to get out