1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Engine knocking - now with youtube vid link

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Metalx
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine knocking - now with youtube vid link

YouTube - IMG 0439

As you can hear (hopefully) under higher rpm, around 2000, you here this god almighty knocking coming from the passenger side of the engine. The truck is a 1999 EB Exp, with roughly 240,000 kilometres on the dial. I have been having problems, as in the last year, of the truck using a lot of oil. I've checked the stick and it's come back dry a few times, which I then fill in the oil myself in between oil changes. If I'm not moving and just reving it up, I don't hear that knocking.

Any quesses/questions? I'm stumped...

Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust manifold gasket. The clue is that the noise is louder under load and mostly subsides when coasting. Most internal engine noises are constant with rpm and not tied to throttle opening.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM
hodges710
Senior User
Seems that you have more than one issue. If it was your exhaust manifold gasket, you would hear it even at idle, sure it would be easier to hear at higher rpms but an exhaust leak is an exhaust leak. What I am saying for anyone that may fail to understand my point ( this means you big greenie ) with the engine running even at idle, exhaust pressure is still going through the system therefore the sound would be noticed. As for your oil issue, it seems that you have a bigger issue than you are going to want to face.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
hodges710
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big Greenie
Exhaust manifold gasket. The clue is that the noise is louder under load and mostly subsides when coasting. Most internal engine noises are constant with rpm and not tied to throttle opening.
Are you saying that when an engine is running, the throttle being opened isnt going to raise the rpms?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Metalx
Freshman User
I will try and post a video of what I hear at stand still, in parking revving the engine. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. As for the oil, I filled it about 2 weeks ago and nothing is coming out. I will keep everyone posted on that. I thought the noise might be piston slap, or as someone else pointed out before to me, valve timing issue. Either all this sounds expensive.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by hodges710
Are you saying that when an engine is running, the throttle being opened isnt going to raise the rpms?
yep, I am that stupid.

I am talking about putting a load on the engine.

The exhaust manifold leak I had went on for months, and never got as bad as the posters. You couldn't hear it at idle. You could hear it with a cold engine under acceleration, and eventually, as the manifold warped and the gasket eroded it became louder and noticable with less pressure on the throttle.

Is it easier for you to understand if I use a pretty color?

If that isn't it, tell us, what do you hear?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
I listened to it again, sounds EXACTLY like a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. Easy to fix yourself. I cheated when I did mine and only replaced the gasket. Doing it "right" would include resurfacing the manifold or replacing it. I have 10k miles on my fix with no problems, out of pocket cost was under $40.

You need to track your oil consumption, check it everytime you put gas in. Keep track of qts per 1000 miles and report back. I agree with Hodges in that you have two issues. I do not hear an oil related sound in your vid.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
hodges710
Senior User
yep, I am that stupid.

I am talking about putting a load on the engine.

The exhaust manifold leak I had went on for months, and never got as bad as the posters. You couldn't hear it at idle. You could hear it with a cold engine under acceleration, and eventually, as the manifold warped and the gasket eroded it became louder and noticable with less pressure on the throttle.

Is it easier for you to understand if I use a pretty color?

If that isn't it, tell us, what do you hear?
Well no one called you stupid except yourself (answers alot of questions though).

Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
From the sound on the video, I am leaning toward an exhaust manifold leak. Chances are if you look at the exhaust manifold on the passenger side you'll notice some nuts missing. When I had this problem on my 97 expy (188K miles) it was only noticeable when started and under load, not so much at idle.

Oil consumption is another issue, get in the habit of checking the oil every time you fill up at the pump to get an idea of oil consumption. Some may say a quart every 1000 miles is normal, my 97 would use about a quart every 3K miles. Check the PCV or try changing oil brand.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Metalx
Freshman User
Heres an updated video with the truck in neutral, under no load, and you'll hear the knocking is not present.

YouTube - IMG 0448

Old 02-20-2011, 08:09 AM
hodges710
Senior User
around the 2500 mark you could still hear the slapping/knocking in neutral. Hope you get what ever is wrong worked out.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
With all the time you have wasted making videos for us you could have fixed it already.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Metalx
Freshman User
I posting here to get an idea of what the problem is, and don't chase after my own tail.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by Metalx
I posting here to get an idea of what the problem is, and don't chase after my own tail.
Make a video of you checking to see how many nuts have broken off the studs of your exhaust manifold. I would start on the passenger side, the back ones tend to go first.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
saberworks
Junior User
Make a video of you checking to see how many nuts have broken off the studs of your exhaust manifold. I would start on the passenger side, the back ones tend to go first.
I can't stop laughing!!!!

Quick Reply: Engine knocking - now with youtube vid link