6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Drove a 6.2 KR CC 3.73 today

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a 6.2 KR CC 3.73 today

Finally got a chance to drive the 6.2 today. 2011 KR CC with 3.73. I was surprised with the initial power off the line which I attribute to the new transmission. WOT shift were a bit slushy, but not terrible. I assume 5 Star can clean that up some. Overall not too bad, but I think for me this test ride has convinced me to get the 6.7 this time around. While I'm sure the 6.2 will tow our fiver, I'm not sure it's going to do it well enough for me to be satisfied for the next 6-10 years.

The engine does sound so much nicer than our old V10!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:30 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi Biggziff
Good feedback, My 2 cents. I liked that idea you had to hook up your 5ver to a 6.2L to test it out before deciding. To bad you cant get to do that. Honestly the 6.2L is a good tug boat not really a great wot runner empty. It reminds me of the 7.3L we owned the truck was not great at wot empty but it loved to pull.. i am just referring to out the truck felt towing. And like you said i think the trans has been an added plus to the truck.

Last March when we picked our 6.2L up at the dealer, my test drive was less than exciting for me as well. I too on the test drive did not feel like truck could tow our 5ver, truck felt a little sluggish. (My head was spinning at this point) Heck, I had not even test driven one and here i was signing the papers to buy this big truck. Well once truck got some miles on it and i was able to get more seat time towing; I am completely satisfied with the 6.2L and how it tows and drives on a daily basis. Its my opinion and i might be way wrong here, that in the long term this 6.2L engine will have the same following and reputation as the 7.3L. And if Ford updates the heads 3v /4v or what ever I think we have another 5.0L wow factor.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordmdb
Hi Biggziff
Good feedback, My 2 cents. I liked that idea you had to hook up your 5ver to a 6.2L to test it out before deciding. To bad you cant get to do that. Honestly the 6.2L is a good tug boat not really a great wot runner empty. It reminds me of the 7.3L we owned the truck was not great at wot empty but it loved to pull.. i am just referring to out the truck felt towing. And like you said i think the trans has been an added plus to the truck.

Last March when we picked our 6.2L up at the dealer, my test drive was less than exciting for me as well. I too on the test drive did not feel like truck could tow our 5ver, truck felt a little sluggish. (My head was spinning at this point) Heck, I had not even test driven one and here i was signing the papers to buy this big truck. Well once truck got some miles on it and i was able to get more seat time towing; I am completely satisfied with the 6.2L and how it tows and drives on a daily basis. Its my opinion and i might be way wrong here, that in the long term this 6.2L engine will have the same following and reputation as the 7.3L. And if Ford updates the heads 3v /4v or what ever I think we have another 5.0L wow factor.
Thanks. This is probably going to be a long term vehicle for us so I only have one chance to get it right. I know the 6.7 will yank the fiver around without much effort and I'm sure the 6.2 will pull it. I'm just not sure the 6.2 is going to satisfy me for as long as I'll need to keep this truck. Very frustrating spot to be in. I'm half tempted to find an 03 7.3 as an interim vehicle for a year or so.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Good thought on the 7.3L or a 3v V10 ? just saying..

Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordmdb
Good thought on the 7.3L or a 3v V10 ? just saying..
Just sold my 05 V10 in October. Maybe I should have kept it!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Biggziff
Finally got a chance to drive the 6.2 today. 2011 KR CC with 3.73. I was surprised with the initial power off the line which I attribute to the new transmission. WOT shift were a bit slushy, but not terrible. I assume 5 Star can clean that up some. Overall not too bad, but I think for me this test ride has convinced me to get the 6.7 this time around. While I'm sure the 6.2 will tow our fiver, I'm not sure it's going to do it well enough for me to be satisfied for the next 6-10 years.

The engine does sound so much nicer than our old V10!

Want to buy my 2003 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke diesel Lariat pkg, CC longbed with 54,000 miles?
It will save you about $25,000 to $30,000 dollars.
It will be up for sale when my 2011 6.2L arrives in April. Oh I pull a 30ft 5th wheel and gas is still cheaper than diesel.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by iggy2
Want to buy my 2003 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke diesel Lariat pkg, CC longbed with 54,000 miles?
It will save you about $25,000 to $30,000 dollars.
It will be up for sale when my 2011 6.2L arrives in April. Oh I pull a 30ft 5th wheel and gas is still cheaper than diesel.
Thanks, but no 6.0 for me.

Even at the higher price of diesel the increased MPG of the 6.7 would save us $300-$500 a year in fuel over the gassers.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Scrming
Senior User
One thing I've noticed is just how quickly the truck shifts out of 1st gear... At part throttle it seems the truck immediately shifts to 2nd and to me gives it the sluggish feel... Of course my previous vehicles have all done this too... My last car was terrible, would be in 2nd before I could complete my turn out onto the main road, so by the time the car was straight and ready to really get on the throttle it would be in 2nd gear and felt doggy. Bumped up the part throttle shift point from like 7 mph to 15 mph. OMG! Night and day difference. I could pull out, get the car straight (or roll through an intersection) and still be in 1st gear, so then when I got on the gas the car was a lot more response then when it was in 2nd.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 AM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scrming
One thing I've noticed is just how quickly the truck shifts out of 1st gear... At part throttle it seems the truck immediately shifts to 2nd and to me gives it the sluggish feel... Of course my previous vehicles have all done this too... My last car was terrible, would be in 2nd before I could complete my turn out onto the main road, so by the time the car was straight and ready to really get on the throttle it would be in 2nd gear and felt doggy. Bumped up the part throttle shift point from like 7 mph to 15 mph. OMG! Night and day difference. I could pull out, get the car straight (or roll through an intersection) and still be in 1st gear, so then when I got on the gas the car was a lot more response then when it was in 2nd.

The new 6 speed is a new toy. I have no idea if that is correct or not but who knows they may find this an issue. Not sure if the trans can be re-programmed or is it a mechanical control. Anyone knows?
If I was pulling a trailer with 3.73 rearend this may be common. I have heard other mention the next gears may be a little better. I'd use manual mode and shift my own gears in stop and go times.
I thought the torque convertor locks at 900 rpms. You may want to ask the question at your dealer and see if you have an issue.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Scrming
Senior User
The new 6 speed is a new toy. I have no idea if that is correct or not but who knows they may find this an issue. Not sure if the trans can be re-programmed or is it a mechanical control. Anyone knows?
If I was pulling a trailer and that was happening I'd go to manual mode and shift my own gears.
I thought the torque convertor locks at 900 rpms. You may want to ask the question at your dealer and see if you have an issue.
It's the part throttle shift strategy... Modern vehicles are very upshift happy at part throttle to help improve fuel economy. Only way to change is going with a aftermarket tune...

I remember having a discussion with my Ford engineer buddy when I got my 2005 Mustang... I was like why is this shifting so ridiculously early. His answer was we spend a lot of time optimizing the calibration to maximize fuel economy. I was like dude, it's a MUSTANG! LOL

So it's technically not really an issue that Ford or the dealer is going to address and fix... it's working as designed... I think you can probably overcome some of the sluggish feeling by manual shifting and keeping in the lower gears longer... but hey, i am incredibly lazy and just want to drop the truck in D and go! LOL

Old 02-18-2011, 01:03 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought the torque convertor locks at 900 rpms.
On the 6.7l yeah, but I doubt it on the 6.2l.

Sounds like the dealers are still ordering those crappy 3.73s for all the gasser lot trucks. Some things never change. The 3.73s shouldn't even be offered in a CC.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
On the 6.7l yeah, but I doubt it on the 6.2l.

Sounds like the dealers are still ordering those crappy 3.73s for all the gasser lot trucks. Some things never change. The 3.73s shouldn't even be offered in a CC.
Here is the Ford statement out of their book. The transmission is the same in both the 6.2L Gas and the 6.7L PSD.

Torque converter provides connected feel and better efficiency
The torque converter of the 6R140 transmission is designed to be accurately controlled and efficient. A closed-piston design provides precise control of the lock-up clutch. Its torque multiplication is matched with the rest of the powertrain for better off-the-line performance, but that’s only the start. Once under way, a long-travel, high-capacity turbine damper allows the torque converter to dampen out the extreme torsional force produced in particular by the new, more powerful diesel engine.

This damper allows us to lug down to 900 rpm while our competitors lug to around 1,100 rpm,” Bruck said. “This technology allows us to stay locked more, which means the engine can run at a lower rpm and get better fuel economy.

UNQUOTE

I'm not sure if they can electronically change it. Both truck have the same transmission version.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Scrming
Senior User
so was watching... looks like at light throttle truck shifts to 2nd at about 5 or 6 MPH... it's in 4th at about 22 MPH...

Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Wait until you use tow/haul mode towing some good weight, its just as bad.
We ended up setting up our calibration tow/haul strategies similar to the 3v V10; they are some of the best i have towed with as far as strategies go for towing in a gas powered truck.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Here is the Ford statement out of their book. The transmission is the same in both the 6.2L Gas and the 6.7L PSD.

Torque converter provides connected feel and better efficiency
The torque converter of the 6R140 transmission is designed to be accurately controlled and efficient. A closed-piston design provides precise control of the lock-up clutch. Its torque multiplication is matched with the rest of the powertrain for better off-the-line performance, but that’s only the start. Once under way, a long-travel, high-capacity turbine damper allows the torque converter to dampen out the extreme torsional force produced in particular by the new, more powerful diesel engine.

This damper allows us to lug down to 900 rpm while our competitors lug to around 1,100 rpm,” Bruck said. “This technology allows us to stay locked more, which means the engine can run at a lower rpm and get better fuel economy.

UNQUOTE

I'm not sure if they can electronically change it. Both truck have the same transmission version.
Yes your correct both engines use the same trans. Yes the lockup can be changed electronically. I just can't see the 6.2l being able to exploit the 900rpm TQ unlock point much, the 6.7l I can see, due to the gobs of torque it produces at a low rpm. A small amount of throttle input will cause the 6.2l to have to shift at such a low rpm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 6.2l SD with 4.30s and one of Mikes tunes, I think that is the only way I would feel happy with the truck.