1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Misfiring 2005 3.0l Ranger

Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
spawn_ta
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfiring 2005 3.0l Ranger

I'm working on a 2005 3.0l 4x4 Ranger and I am having trouble figuring out my misfire. The codes say:

Misfire detected at start up (within 1000 rpm)
Cylinder 2 misfire
Cylinder 5 misfire

The truck has 103,000 miles on it, and the spark plugs, wires and coil are all new.
The idle seems rough, and when I am driving, the check engine light stays on, but occasionally it will flash, and when it is flashing the truck has no power (it will rev out of gear.) After around 30 seconds the light will stop flashing and the truck will regain its power and accelerate like normal.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM
gusbus93
New User
few possibilites

i ran into this problem check the fuel injector prongs one could be bent over not getting contact allowing a miss. Possibilties could also be coil packe or yours mave have distributor you should replace rotor button cap and points. Double check wires but you probably dont have them switched over.make sure plug wire is not touching manifold or header causeing an arc which this will make it miss. injectors also could be bad let me know if this dont work gusbus93@aol.com.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by spawn_ta
I'm working on a 2005 3.0l 4x4 Ranger and I am having trouble figuring out my misfire. The codes say:

Misfire detected at start up (within 1000 rpm)
Cylinder 2 misfire
Cylinder 5 misfire

The truck has 103,000 miles on it, and the spark plugs, wires and coil are all new.
The idle seems rough, and when I am driving, the check engine light stays on, but occasionally it will flash, and when it is flashing the truck has no power (it will rev out of gear.) After around 30 seconds the light will stop flashing and the truck will regain its power and accelerate like normal.

Any suggestions?
did you have the same codes before you changed the plugs and wires? what plugs and wires did you use? did you gap them correctly? have you tried adding Techron to the tank? you should clean the MAF and check the airfilter and air intake...

I own a code reader. if that was my truck I would see if I could catch a pending code? ie. camshaft sensor

* a flashing cel indicates multiple misfires and that your CAT is in danger.......it is not a good idea to drive with a flashing CEL

Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 PM
spawn_ta
New User
Originally Posted by gusbus93
i ran into this problem check the fuel injector prongs one could be bent over not getting contact allowing a miss. Possibilties could also be coil packe or yours mave have distributor you should replace rotor button cap and points. Double check wires but you probably dont have them switched over.make sure plug wire is not touching manifold or header causeing an arc which this will make it miss. injectors also could be bad let me know if this dont work gusbus93@aol.com.
I will check the injector connectors as soon as I can. The coil pack is new, and I am pretty sure I got the wires on right. All the new stuff was to try and remedy the misfire, actually. I am going to pick up some injector cleaner tomorrow and run it for good measure.

Originally Posted by powersmoked
did you have the same codes before you changed the plugs and wires? what plugs and wires did you use? did you gap them correctly? have you tried adding Techron to the tank? you should clean the MAF and check the airfilter and air intake...

I own a code reader. if that was my truck I would see if I could catch a pending code? ie. camshaft sensor

* a flashing cel indicates multiple misfires and that your CAT is in danger.......it is not a good idea to drive with a flashing CEL
The codes where the same before and after the plugs/wires. I used the copper core plugs from O'Reilly's and a set of their lifetime wires. The only difference now is that it seems the power drop only started to occur after the new coil. I think I am going to put all the old stuff back on and start again, one thing at a time to see what happens. I gapped plugs to .044" with a disk style gapper. I have not added any fuel additives yet, but the air filter is new. Intake is clean, and I actually jsut cleaned the MAF sensor.

I do not own a reader, but there is an O'Reilly's right down the street, so I can use their reader. I just don't know how to check for pending codes.

One thing I should add is that before the new plugs/wires the truck threw a "System lean bank 1 and bank 2" code, but that hasn't shown up again since the tune up. I'm gonna mess around with it tonight and see if I can figure anything out.

Thanks for the help so far!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Some of the '05 models w/3.0L can have exhaust valve issues: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - 2005 Ranger 3.0L head replacement

Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Definitely pull the codes. The lean bank 1 & 2 can be caused by a dirty MAF, or an actual lean condition. Cylinder 2 & 5 share the same coil. If one had a problem, the other may just be along for the ride. Did you get the dual 'stuff' plugs? One plug fires normally, and the other fires from outer electrode to center electrode, more or less in series.
tom

Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
spawn_ta
New User
So I finally figured out my problem. I kept driving the truck and messing with it, and finally I took it to the local Ford dealership, paid them $80 and they did a full diagnostic rundown on it. The found the 2 cylinder had a 5% drop in compression, and another showed a very slight loss.

I finally accepted reality and pulled the heads. Pretty much all of the exhaust valves had receded into the head, the worst being about 2mm. They are currently at a machine shop right now getting hardened exhaust valve seats put in, along with a full valve job. I am dreading putting it all back together, but I hope it will finally solve my problems with the truck.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
quote: "The found the 2 cylinder had a 5% drop in compression, and another showed a very slight loss. "

From what I have read, the results of a compression test are 'there is a problem when the pressure difference between two cylinders is > 10% "... or words to that effect.
A 5% drop is not out of tolerance, in other words. At 140 psi, 10% would be 14 psi, 5% would be 7 psi. The numbers in the book, so to speak, seem to allow a LOT more.
Maybe they picked a percent out of the air???
I had read there was a problem with the Vulcan doing exactly what you report, sorry to say. Glad you got your problem pinpointed.

tom