Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck won't start

Hello all,

I started my truck this morning to let it warm up and when I went out to get in, it died. I noticed my DP Tunner had no power. I unplugged the tunner and still no start. I tried plugging the tunner back in and there was still no power to the tunner and still no start. Is my PCM fried? How can I tell what the problem is? Thanks all!!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
does it crank over?
do you have glow plug light coming on?
check your fuse# 30 under the dash, not 100% sure - but as far as my memory goes
you might have bad fuel bowl heater element, if the PCM fuse is blown first unplug you fuel bowl heater , replace fuse and it should be all good.

good luck ...

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Originally Posted by PETE'S_6.0PSD
does it crank over?
do you have glow plug light coming on?
check your i think fuse# 30 under the dash,
or PCM fuse ...
you might have bad fuel bowl heater element, if the PCM fuse is blown first unplug you fuel bowl heater , replace fuse and it should be all good.

good luck ...
It was fuse #30!!!!

Thanks Pete!!!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
glad it helped you out. keep an eye on the fuel bowl heater if you didnt disconnect it. keep the spare fuse , or just leave the heater on the bowl disconnected.
the thing is if it blows while driving you might be in a bad situation .no control over the truck......

Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by PETE'S_6.0PSD
glad it helped you out. keep an eye on the fuel bowl heater if you didnt disconnect it. keep the spare fuse , or just leave the heater on the bowl disconnected.
the thing is if it blows while driving you might be in a bad situation .no control over the truck......
What ^he^ said. That fuse usually goes out when the fuel bowl heater shorts out. On the side of the bowl you will see a two wire harness. Unplug it then make sure the fuse is good. Otherwise, you will be going through this again.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
What ^he^ said. That fuse usually goes out when the fuel bowl heater shorts out. On the side of the bowl you will see a two wire harness. Unplug it then make sure the fuse is good. Otherwise, you will be going through this again.
All is well. I have started my truck several times with no problems. So, why does the fuel bowl heater blow and the truck nor start? I don't get it. If this happens again do I need to replace the fuel bowl heater?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that fuel bowl heater... if that goes bad will the truck shut off as if it is running out of fuel? also if anyone has a pic of this part i would be very great-full if they could post it for me. My uncle's 2000 7.3 just died yesterday while driving home and im tryin to help him with it and figured id venture over here and talk to you guys a bit

Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bird Dog
All is well. I have started my truck several times with no problems. So, why does the fuel bowl heater blow and the truck nor start? I don't get it. If this happens again do I need to replace the fuel bowl heater?
trust me it went once it will go again in the worst moment . you dont need to go through it. the fuel bowl shorts internally putting a load on PCM in turn blowing its fuse , if it happens to you again heater or the fuel bowl will need to be replaced .
plug as far as i remember is located under the drain valve on the back og the fuel bowl... take it out.....

Originally Posted by Coalroller
that fuel bowl heater... if that goes bad will the truck shut off as if it is running out of fuel? also if anyone has a pic of this part i would be very great-full if they could post it for me. My uncle's 2000 7.3 just died yesterday while driving home and im tryin to help him with it and figured id venture over here and talk to you guys a bit
not running out of fuel.
it will be like your truck just dropped dead out of nowhere.

running out of fuel might be few things.
your fuel pump is shot or clogged , your in tank pickup is clogged, or if its very cold and you have bad fuel it might gel up on you causing fuel starvation.
bad CPS ocasional dead truck or no start truck.. always cary one of those with you on 7.3 with 10mm ratchet socket combo. LOL
bad ICP might kill the truck
bad IPR will cause running problem truck will idle but no power. hard starts.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The fuel bowl heater is not a critical component. It just happens to be wired into the same fuse that powers the PCM so when the heater shorts it blows the fuse like any other electrical short will do. The problem is the computer gets it's power from the same fuse so when it blows, the computer shuts off.

That's why you see everyone recommending to unplug the fuel bowl heater when you blow that fuse. We don't need the heater, but we can't go anywhere without the PCM.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
thanks for the info fellas! I havent made my way over to my uncles house today yet, im just tryin to get some ideas for when i go over there. He said that there is what looks like an inertia switch or something behind the fuel heater or solenoid that the wires are melted together? As if its not letting the fuel get to the fuel filter im assuming. Sorry for the questions guys but thanks for the help!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
there is no switch buy a drain plug, and any wires melted together its a bad sign ... get that fixed first... if unsure take pix and someone will help you with the identification of parts.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
thats what i was afraid of lol i know melted wires are never a good thing... Ill see if he can take some pics and send them to me

Thanks again guys

Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Now it blows the fuses in about 10 seconds. What do I need to do? Do I replace the fuel bowl heater or just disconnect it?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
The fuel bowl heater is not a critical component. It just happens to be wired into the same fuse that powers the PCM so when the heater shorts it blows the fuse like any other electrical short will do. The problem is the computer gets it's power from the same fuse so when it blows, the computer shuts off.

That's why you see everyone recommending to unplug the fuel bowl heater when you blow that fuse. We don't need the heater, but we can't go anywhere without the PCM.
Where do I unplug the heater from? It's blowing fuses in 10 seconds now.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bird Dog
Where do I unplug the heater from? It's blowing fuses in 10 seconds now.
Unplug the white connector on the back of the fuel blow.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start