Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

How to replace your 4.6L & 5.4L spark plugs

Old 03-12-2006, 10:02 AM
nape
New User
nape is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any NASA races, but if you have prior race experience, chances are you will work through the process faster.

What class stock car do you run? I always wanted to run dirt, but the Sportsman/hobby stock classes around here are basically spec 78-88 G-body classes and I can't afford to run a Modified yet.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
We call it a Prostock but it used to be called Hobby stock. We changed the name of the class to make it sound a bit better.
Our track is 3/8 mile banked paved.
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rac...3e.jpg&.src=ph
I'm usually the only Ford on the track and have won the championship a few times, held the track record for quite a while etc.
It's fun being the underdog

Old 03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
nape
New User
nape is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Racerguy
I'm usually the only Ford on the track and have won the championship a few times, held the track record for quite a while etc.
It's fun being the underdog
Definitely cool, that's kind of how it is running a GM product on road courses.
Used to be about a 75/25 Ford/GM split but we're closing the gap here in the Midwest region.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:10 AM
amaezing
New User
amaezing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Please forgive my ingnorance, but what are COPS?

Old 03-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
COP stands for Coil On Plug.
Each cylinder has it's own coil sitting on top of the spark plug rather than having spark plug wires.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:18 PM
rick2752
New User
rick2752 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Misfire in 6

I have an 01 f-150 with the 5.4 I am getting a misfire in #6 code. I switched the cops from another spot and kept it out and started the truck. I am getting no spark on the other side of the cop. The one that read bad before is getting spark, I moved it up one position. This makes me think I either have a bad spot in the harness somewhere or what else could be wrong???? Any ideas I should check?

Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Hi Rick and welcome to the forum

Sorry that no one has replied until now.
If I understand right you're saying that if you move a COP from any other cylinder to #6 the misfire is still there? How are you checking for spark? Ids the spark plug good?

Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
rick2752
New User
Got it figured out now, Those coil overs are screwy. I moved the "bad one to a different location and put a new plug in, grounded it to see if I was getting spark. I was, and it was a decent spark but not enough for the computer or it was failing when hot. I wound up putting an ohm meter on about 4 different cops and the bad one had the lowest reading, I think it was like 5.28 ohms all the others were 5.6 and above. Is there a definite way to know when one is bad? Anyway I am now a member of the Ford plug club. It took about 2 hours after I fixed the bad cop. Didnt pull anything but some vacuum lines and used a short swivel. I think the swivel and multiple lengths of extensions are key, along with a wobble extension for the plugs. Thanks for all the info you guys put out. I had Bosch plugs in the front four before I posted and then pulled them and changed them to motorcraft, Glad I didnt have the back 4 in yet..lol..

Old 03-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Good to hear you got it solved

Old 03-31-2006, 11:01 AM
looneylariat
Junior User
looneylariat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello everyone, I have learned a lot on this thread and I am planning on changing my '99 4.6's 117,000 miles plugs next week. I plan on letting the engine cool overnight and then spraying some PB down on the plugs to maybe loosen them up a bit.

One Question; Has anyone ever experienced or heard of cracking the aluminum heads while taking out the old plugs? This statement arose when I told my friend of my expedition to change my plugs.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
rick2752
New User
Smile

I didnt really have any issues breaking the spark plugs loose. Just use a long wobble extension. Make sure you blow out the plug holes with air before you spray them or take out the plugs. You will have a lot of dust and dirt probably that would be best to get it out before you loosen the plugs. Make sure you have a 1/4 drive swivel also.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:27 PM
looneylariat
Junior User
looneylariat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rick, did you have about the same amount of miles on your engine? What exactlly is a wobble extension? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2006, 08:31 PM
JCJ842
New User
JCJ842 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I guess this is a problem that a lot of you are experiencing as well. I have an 01 F140 4.6 and am unable to remove the last two plugs on the driver's side. The reason for this is that the fuel lines diverge and completely cover the last COP. I have no idea of how to get at it except to remove the fuel lines. For all the other plugs, I was able to work around the fuel lines fairly easily, but just can't do it on these last two. I've never removed fuel lines before; how should I proceed? Thanks for the help.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Kevdadi
Junior User
Kevdadi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Get the special tool from Autozone, remove the lines, then have at it. Of course have plenty of rags handy in case you don't run out the fuel pressure by schreider valve (similar to a bike tire air valve) so there aren't any spills or splashes in your eyes for that matter.
These lines don't unhook easily, so some force is needed

Old 04-02-2006, 07:27 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome JCJ842 to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

..See you on the boards.:-X2]2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace your 4.6L & 5.4L spark plugs

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.