04 Excursion 6.0 Heater Hose Leaking - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

04 Excursion 6.0 Heater Hose Leaking

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Excursion 6.0 Heater Hose Leaking

Old 01-14-2019, 02:04 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bigric View Post
I used 3/4" copper pipe and fittings. You'll have to sweat it, but that's no big deal if you've never done it before.
You need:
6" length of 3/4 copper pipe cut into 3 1-7/8" sections
1 right angle fitting
1 tee fitting

Assemble as shown.

Thanks, Im doing this.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:06 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Our truck hoses are 3/4”, but 3/4” copper tube is actually 7/8” OD. If you are **** about this you can get 5/8” copper tube and fitting from commercial supply houses or from McMaster, but not common so its more expensive.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:10 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
Our truck hoses are 3/4, but 3/4 copper tube is actually 7/8 OD. If you are **** about this you can get 5/8 copper tube and fitting from commercial supply houses or from McMaster, but not common so its more expensive.
XDP makes a billet Y for under the degas bottle but its pricey. Too bad someone doesnt machine some of these and sell them...

Old 01-31-2019, 04:47 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
I finally found a stainless fitting that should work perfectly from the oddest supplier...a maple syrup factory in Vermont! $14 plus $8 shipping so I bought two and will be sending Razzi one.
My photos are not uploading very consistently so just look them up and click “stainless fittings”.
https://www.leaderevaporator.com/

Old 01-31-2019, 08:42 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Copper isn't really a problem though. Here's is my 5/8" setup I made for my truck, but in the opposite. Tee was for coolant filter and the ball valve to shut off all flow to heater core. I used 3/4" cut to 3/16" long to make up hose ferrules.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
Yeah I was actually at the hardware store yesterday evening and by the time I gathered everything I needed to make one fitting I far exceeded $22 so I scrapped the copper idea and found the stainless Y while searching online last night. I already have the ball valve to shut off my heater cores and also have one under the degas bottle on the return so there’s zero hot coolant able to get in the heater cores to heat up my A/C at all on thise hot summer days.
Last year I had both inlet and outlets on the front firewall heater core leaking so I cut off those silly disconnects and stuck them straight on the heater core tubes and hose clamped them. Now my stinking Y fitting is leaking between there so the stainless Y is PERFECT for my application. I hope this thread helps some others.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:34 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
I'm surprised their stainless is that cheap, but I couldn't find the fitting you're mentioning on their web site.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:05 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
I'm surprised their stainless is that cheap, but I couldn't find the fitting you're mentioning on their web site.
Scroll down to the second row and scroll over to stainless y fittings. You may have to create an account. Worth it if you need a fitting!

Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
but I couldn't find the fitting you're mentioning on their web site.

https://www.leaderevaporator.com/p-4...-barb-tee.aspx

Old 02-02-2019, 12:28 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
Thanks, now I see them.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:49 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
Mine will be here Thursday, I’ll do a write up on the install.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM
seijirou
Posting Guru
seijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to behold
Subbing to see that write-up!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:58 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
That link goes to a T fitting, I was referring to a Y fitting. Maybe this link will work...
https://www.leaderevaporator.com/p-4...y-fitting.aspx

Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
I got my fitting in today. Looks like it’s going to be perfect.