Coolant help please........new member

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
anjcohen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant help please........new member

Hello,
I posted this on the 7.3 (99-03) forum but just found this chapter and need help for this old guy. I live in Ellensburg...........

Anyway I had a coolant flush today by a machine at a shop. Here is my posting and hope someone can direct me at least to a shop that knows how to do a proper flush! Thanks

Follow up to Coolant flush "Headache"
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> Well, just got back from the shop. As part of the overall service as mentioned I had the coolant (gold) in my 2003 7.3L with 84K flushed out. No they did not undo the block drain bolts and used flush system.
1. Yes they used distilled H2O but only in the 50/50 process with new ELC HD (red) as I instructed.

2. I was told I had some ELC left and it was in the inside of the truck in jug. Now this is the real problem and need advice:

Out of the 4 gallons I gave them there is a whole, yes, 1 gallon not used! So thats a whole gallon our of 4 !!!
So I assume there was a whole gallon of old gold / water that remained in the block.

My questions is this:
What happens now that old and new mix?
Should I get a real flush including block drain bolts removed from another shop?

The shop manager told me "they do the block drain once in a while for the 6.0's when they have problems but even then they can't get it all out...bla, bla..."

I was pissed and left shaking my head and when I saw a whole gallon of the fleet ELC my blood pressure went up.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful,
Thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hopefully "Lostmybeer" will jump in on this... he seems to be a "coolant" expert recently.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
anjcohen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply....we will see.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can actually show you how and assist. Gimmie a couple weeks and it can be done. Its actually pretty simple. The best way is to pull the plugs out and block heater. I have a quart left over after my changes.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 AM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Too cool (pardon the pun)... Tom is "da man" with a 30 minute response to the problem.