1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

how not to start an evening

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how not to start an evening

This is what I got to look at just a half hour ago. Seems some local children thought the back lot of the body shop was a junk yard and smashed out every window on my 50 F1. can anyone guess as to the cost of the damage? I think i need to replace the gaskets, glass wiskers and ???
It may be time to go to one piece glass as the wing window stuff is bent.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:06 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Maybe it's time to buy a junkyard dog!LOL.Sorry about it.

A couple years ago a very good female mechanic opened up her own shop near me.Since she quite obviously enjoyed one of the more popular alternative lifestyles,they began harassing her by breaking out windows of her customers cars.Her insurance had $1,000.00 deductible for each incidence of vandalism.After the local skinheads hit her for about 2 dozen broken windshields within a two-week span,she closed up shop.A top quality mechanic gone,and there are few reputable independent ones around here.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Holy smokes!!! how deep dig they have to dig to find rocks? and how were they not frozen into the ground?

That really sucks, I'm sorry you have to deal with that...

Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Sorry too hear about the damage. That just really sucks.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry about your glass, but it could have been worse. could have been torched.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM
1low50
Senior User
That's why my grandfather sold his truck back in the day. Some grandkids had fun breaking all the windows in his 51.

Honestly that stinks but if you can get a hold of window patterns it would be a good idea to go to a local glass shop and have them cut new glass for you. If not I know glass can be bought on eBay for not too bad of a price.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM
1low50
Senior User
As far as price goes a quick guess would be around 500 bux. It all depends on the solid window conversion though. I am sure you could save a few bux here and there.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
that sucks...they **** me off. my father in law has a bunch of cars and machinery in a huge yard and some kids broke all the windows on all the cars,for the hell of it...i would have loved to catch them in the act.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
Well guys,
Thanks for the kind words. I will have to shop for the glass a year or two ahead of my build schedule. LMC has the parts for around $550. plus a few odds n ends and do dads. It could have been worse, I am self insured at this point and I guess in this world's reality the little b------s could have put an eye out with flying glass. They took the exhaust pipe out of the interior of the truck to bash out the windows of my 50, a fairly nice 48 caddy 4 door and my former 59 fridge F100 custon cab with wrap around rear glass that I had to sell 15 years ago.
I also found Classic Truck Glass with a one piece kit in smoked glass for $400.00 plus a couple of parts. I could not figure out if they include the rubber for that price. The excellent adventure continues. guess I will go out and tarp the truck tomorrow

Classic Truck Glass

Old 02-12-2011, 09:43 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
sorry to see ,my 55 ford had the side windows punched out by a drunk at a pub a few years ago,I had to do one window at a time ..flat glass is less expensive then the curved stuff..a good glass shop will make them ,my buddy's shop has patterns for a lot of the old cars..hope things get better....

Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
glass

Its cheaper to use the big glass then rechrome the vent frames and rebuild them. I KNOW I DID BOTH. I have them still but someone here has spoken for them. If they don't get back with me i'll let you know.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 AM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
Its cheaper to use the big glass then rechrome the vent frames and rebuild them. I KNOW I DID BOTH. I have them still but someone here has spoken for them. If they don't get back with me i'll let you know.
Fred,
What I wanna hear (think I read) Is, use the full glass windows for the doors. Or are you saying you put the full glass in and then re-replaced the vent windows and standard style glass for one reason or another?
What are the drawbacks of the full glass conversion other than air flow in the summer? I actually like the vents for functionality but the full glass for cool factor looks.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Sorry to hear about your glass issues. My thought is how are you going to stop this from happening again after you fix the glass?

If I ever caught some kids doing this I think I would just tie them up until I cooled down enough to keep from going to jail.....

jim

Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
The truck was sitting in the body shop lot for 5 months. I live about 1/3 mile from the lot and did not want it in my driveway. Guess I am re thinking that one. I wanted to fire the 351C b-4 I moved the truck into the shop as I have almost no room with all the other toys Lathe etc.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
THAT!!!!! SUX!!!!

My '66 Bronco served the same fate when I had it stored at the cabin for a Summer. Except they used guns. Wasn't much left of their "target" when they were finished.

At least it's flat glass, and can be replaced.