Hard Start issue discovered? LPOP ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by damons
******lostmybeer, where do you live?*****
In a cardboard box... Seattle. Moving back up to WA. Home again. I will wave as I go by on I-5.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
For kicks and giggles I went out to look at my oil pressure while cranking,I found that mine fires up after only a few turns,but the oil pressure guage doesn't move at all until~2 seconds after it fires up and runs..Just thought I would throw this out there for reference. EDIT: I'm not having any issues starting,I'm just adding to the research..

Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
For kicks and giggles I went out to look at my oil pressure while cranking,I found that mine fires up after only a few turns,but the oil pressure guage doesn't move at all until~2 seconds after it fires up and runs..Just thought I would throw this out there for reference. EDIT: I'm not having any issues starting,I'm just adding to the research..

That is normal for my truck as well.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Sorry, not sure what Elma is, you talking RR East, if so, no.
I think Robin checked the ICP pressure, and yes I know the HPOP is low, I keep using the same tool to measure it and I mark it each time, it's definately goes down.
My coolant is still ok, I just recently added some SCA because I bought the wrong stuff, I bought prediluted, instead of precharged. My coolant has not noticeably gone down, and I still need the #8 figured out, remember it shot out milky stuff.
******lostmybeer, where do you live?*****
Actually there is an event in Elma on the 2th in Washington, I was hoping Tom was going to be around... LOL

I told Derek to get his but over here and post them up. Lots of NW guys on this site

Damon, make sure you do pull out the oil cap and look for residue. That was just too strange what happened when we installed your injector o'rings. I am not confident that it is a LPOP or HPOP issue, I am thinking it could be something else.

Originally Posted by lostmybeer
Nope, will be driving in that direction though. First gonna stop and hopefully meet up with Joey in Sacramento.
Only way to meet him is by going to his parlor He doesn't go anywhere...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joey knows I'm passing through. If he wants cash, he'll show up.

I'll send you a message later the route we're taking. Prolly pass each other again.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
damons
Elder User
So Elma is March 2nd, on a Wednesday? What kind of event?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Layson
Posting Guru

February 26th...

When: February 26th, 2011. Gates open at 7am for registration (Dyno & Show N' Shine), judging and dyno pulls start at 10am. First come first serve on the dyno, so get signed up early.

Where: Grays County Fairgrounds in Elma, Washington (Welcome to the Grays Harbor County Fairgrounds Event Center)

What: Northwests newest annual diesel enthusiast mayhem! $5 gets you and one passenger in, $5 per extra passenger. Come ready to have a good time. Mobile dyno on site, custom tuning for your 6.0 or 7.3 diesel by Tony Wildman, Show N' Shine event for those of you that own pavement queens. only $20 to enter your truck! 95% of the event will be held under cover, just in case it happens to rain.

Prizes will be awarded for highest HP truck and winnder of the Show N' Shine.

First 10 people through the gate will recieve free admission, so get here early and get ready to have a great time all day!

After the Event:Overnight camping is also available for $20 a night. Wet or Dry camping, first come first serve. So if your wanting to enjoy the day even more throw back a couple cold ones then stay at the fairgrounds overnight. Its bound to be one heck of a good time!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 PM
damons
Elder User
Steve I will check my cap tomorrow, but also, I have been thinking about this, and I'm pretty sure Robin checked my HPOP pressure and it was around 2500.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:35 PM
damons
Elder User
Steve, no visual abnormality under coolant or oil cap.
To the rest, here is an update that I did today. I'd like someone to confirm that they agree I have a LPOP problem.

Truck has sat for 6 days, HPOP was 7/8 inch from top before starting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtRV6Rh7IRw

After dying in first video, I checked HPOP, it was down to 1 1/8 inch from top, so it dropped a whole inch.
(Sorry about bad sound....you can tell it was doing the romp romp.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrTXFa85Y6c

Last edited by damons; 02-13-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't see any significant difference between these videos and the ones in post #1.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
damons
Elder User
True Robin, but this confirms that after days it still did the same thing, but with the added find that the HPOP lost oil, therefore I don't think I am getting enough pressure the start the truck properly.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If my truck had these symptoms I would install a new LPOP. Got to start somewhere. If I still had problems then I would move on knowing it wasn't the LPOP. I hate to get in the "paralysis through analysis" mode. JMHO

Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
damons
Elder User
I guess I need to order one. Then I need to find someone to help me, I know nothing about this. Maybe one of these guys from WA can help me..... hint hint....

Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know nothing about this.
I'm in the same boat but I'm going to try to swap my lpop out. Maybe you can hook up a gauge and monitor oil pressure during a cold start. I'm not sure what is normal pressure while cranking but the oil pressure sensor triggers around 7psi.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 AM
damons
Elder User
I thought about some type of gauge, I know there is two spots to use, one to measure LPOP and HPOP.
Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Hard Start issue discovered? LPOP ?