Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Paul Horton crossmember kit

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Pappys53
Elder User
Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Paul Horton crossmember kit

Has anyone install one of these in their trucks? I saw this on TRUCKS on HorsepowerTV on spike being put on an old chevy.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Yes. The Paul Horton Welders Series is a fine product line. For $200 you can buy the kit ready to weld or for another $25 you can get it welded up out of the box. Get the 56 inch width and go with either the coil spring or coilover setup. If you go that route and want to save some money take a look on ebay...there are shops selling a-arms (TIG welded and powdercoated with screw-in ball joints) for around $250. You can also buy the spindles with disc brakes for around $290. All that's left is the rack & pinion, shocks, and springs...make sure that you know which way you're going before you start buying parts though. If you are going the coil spring route then you will need the crossmember kit for coils and the a-arms for coils. Same for bags or coilovers. You should be able to buy all the parts you need for under $1,000 for your basic MII setup.

PS - I was tempted to provide this info on your "Volare IFS" post but didn't want to confuse the issue. The Paul Horton crossmember is definitely easier to install than the Volare.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Pappys53
Elder User
Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you CharlieLed. I made a separate post so it would not get lost with the volare. Sounds like this is the way I will go. I am on a tight budget right now. I lost my job in 2009. The job I finally was able to get after almost a year looking does not come close to the money I was making.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
JRMack
Senior User
JRMack is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Coil-over route would be the more expansive one of the two, right?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Aldan Eagles and QA1s are a couple of the top names in coilovers...either of which can be bought for under $400 a pair. Cheaper units are available...non-polished aluminum, painted coils, etc. The cost for the crossmember and the a-arms is the same however for the coil spring, the air bag, or the coilover configuration. If you decide to go with the better quality coilover then you gain ride height adjustablity, adjustable shock response, and in most cases these shocks are rebuildable.