Sponsored by: DP Tuner

polishing IC pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 PM
omc124
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
polishing IC pipes?

tried searching for it but couldnt find a definite answer. has anyone done this with success? thought about painting them but dont have the money to paint right now but have some polish so figured id give it a shot if it was possible and if i liked it would just keep them that way

Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
What year is your truck? The early years have aluminum tubes so it's a simple matter of elbow grease. The later years have steel tubes with what looks like a thin aluminum coating so polishing might take the coating off. However, I don't know for sure because I haven't tried...)

Some people have powder or ceramic coated theirs and they look pretty nice. Others have used a good high quality paint and it seems to hold up as well. Looks like you have a lot of options.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:42 PM
TexasRenegade
Junior User
I used a basic high heat paint can from orileys or autozone for $6-$8. I think it was rated for 550°and its worked like a charm. Cheap and effective. Just be sure to scratch it up and wipe it down with some mineral spirits or alcohol to remove any trace amounts of grease and oil and then do a really light feathering of paint for your first coat to let it get a good foundation and just repeat until its covered.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 PM
remhaust
Senior User

Im trying to decide as well. I got the tubes off to clean and do mods,ect.... and would paint"cheaper and easier" but dont know what color, or polish. The polishing looks really nice but takes time, and would go with any other colors of other things colored under hood. I just want it the same color"everything or polished"

Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine were steel with what looks like an aluminized or galvanized coating. I ended up painting and clear coating with an engine enamel from the auto parts store. Used Silver, so it turned out looking good.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 PM
remhaust
Senior User

Hey looks good ken, nice looking turbo also. r those clamps on the tubes stoke or the ones from clay?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 PM
remhaust
Senior User

forgot to ask ken, what paint, just silver color?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:33 PM
omc124
Junior User
Originally Posted by gchavez
What year is your truck? The early years have aluminum tubes so it's a simple matter of elbow grease. The later years have steel tubes with what looks like a thin aluminum coating so polishing might take the coating off. However, I don't know for sure because I haven't tried...)

Some people have powder or ceramic coated theirs and they look pretty nice. Others have used a good high quality paint and it seems to hold up as well. Looks like you have a lot of options.
I have a 2000 model. I like the look of them painted but dont have the money to spend on some paint for now (i know its not much but money i dont need to spend right now). im guessing i would have the aluminum tubes then since its a 2000

Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

I used Dupli-Color Aluminum. Oreily's had it along with the primer and clear coat.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM
remhaust
Senior User

Ken i also notice u have a spin on tranny filter. Mine has one but need a number for filter(cant read mine off the old one). the link on the bottom of ur page doesnt work. Not sure what kind of setup mine is or anything, wanted to get some info on it

Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM
remhaust
Senior User

Never mind ken, im retarded. the link works

Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by remhaust
Never mind ken, im retarded. the link works

Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by omc124
I have a 2000 model. I like the look of them painted but dont have the money to spend on some paint for now (i know its not much but money i dont need to spend right now). im guessing i would have the aluminum tubes then since its a 2000
My wife's 2000 has steel tubes. Yours is probably the same but I don't really know when they made the switch exactly...a magnet will verify.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by woodnthings
I used Dupli-Color Aluminum. Oreily's had it along with the primer and clear coat.

Looks great Ken! Did you paint the spider with the same duplicolor as well?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by gchavez
Looks great Ken! Did you paint the spider with the same duplicolor as well?
Yep, painted the spider the same. Bellowed up-pipes got the VHT Flame proof paint in Cast Iron. Hopefully it holds up after reading some of the other posts, some were having issues.

For the question about the clamps. Those are the stock clamps. I did put on clamps from Clay on the intake plentums with the Riffraff PRI's.

Quick Reply: polishing IC pipes?