1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Whats up with this!!??!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
I would bet that a lot of us here can relate to that. When I started charging for work done on "friends" and family vehicles it amazed me how few I ever saw again.
Don't have that problem with friends but far too familiar with that with my brothers and dad! I just can't bring myself to charge them to fix the vehicles. So I just make them pay for the parts and I work for free.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
LSJUNIPER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Hey let's build a city of our kind ! that would be awesome to have a community of FTE guys near me! My wife would crap!
YEAH!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM
LSJUNIPER
Senior User
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
I would bet that a lot of us here can relate to that. When I started charging for work done on "friends" and family vehicles it amazed me how few I ever saw again.
Yep, I started to ask frinds to work with me while I fixed there car, they soon stopped asking me for help.......

Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
About the only slack I get about my truck is why I haven't canned the I6 for a V8, all the guys in the hanger where I work have blown mustaings or what not and can't undrstand why I want this old slow truck. They just don't get it lol. When she is all bright and shinny like its 52 again they will

Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
Don't have that problem with friends but far too familiar with that with my brothers and dad! I just can't bring myself to charge them to fix the vehicles. So I just make them pay for the parts and I work for free.
It will always be that way for us mechanics.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LSJUNIPER
Yep, I started to ask frinds to work with me while I fixed there car, they soon stopped asking me for help.......
That don't work with family. Not if you want to get anything for Christmas.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Most of my friends and family are supportive of my "hobby" (some say addiction). One of the cool things that has happened since I bought my first mid-50 a couple years back is that my father and I have found something to bond over. He and I never saw eye-to-eye about most things and often butt heads over anything but something about my old Fords puts a smile on his face and a gleam in his eye. I never thought that could happen. Hunting, fishing, camping, nothing has brought us together like the old Ford trucks. Little does he know that when he retires next year, my latest restoration will become his. It's a small way to thank him for all the years I drove his trucks. Old Ford Trucks - It's more than a truck, it's a way of life.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
tlb
Elder User

Most of my friends and family are supportive of my "hobby" (some say addiction). One of the cool things that has happened since I bought my first mid-50 a couple years back is that my father and I have found something to bond over. He and I never saw eye-to-eye about most things and often butt heads over anything but something about my old Fords puts a smile on his face and a gleam in his eye. I never thought that could happen. Hunting, fishing, camping, nothing has brought us together like the old Ford trucks. Little does he know that when he retires next year, my latest restoration will become his. It's a small way to thank him for all the years I drove his trucks. Old Ford Trucks - It's more than a truck, it's a way of life.

That's is a great idea. My dad was always into fast cars and good oid rock & roll music. He passed away several years before i got my truck so i was never able to share it with him. Enjoy

Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by teardropty
I've want to build my dad his dream car for many years now. But I just don't have the funds to do it. My dad has wanted a mid 50's Chrysler Imperial for a long time. I've watched for one in rough shape that I could afford. But it's like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. I've only found a couple of them and they were both out of my budget.

Once in a while he helps me work on my 54. Or he'll just listen to my plans for it and tell me his opinion/thoughts about it.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
With a few exceptions my friends are car guys. My neighbor is one of my biggest supporters. he has a big garage at his mothers farm about 5 to 10 minutes away and he does things for me that I can't do. My project before my truck was a 1975 Pinto which will end up with my grand daughter who thinks old cars are cool...

I have a lot of business that I frequent all know about the truck. I live in a small farm town so when the truck came home the world knew about it in about 30 seconds.

I am very blessed that I have some really good friends that help take up the slack for me when I can't.

jim

Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Hey let's build a city of our kind ! that would be awesome to have a community of FTE guys near me! My wife would crap!
Nah, I grew up In Illinois and I am not coming back!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I don't know why I don't have any friends. I change my shorts and Avatar regularly. Sometimes I even brush my teeth.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I don't know why I don't have any friends. I change my shorts and Avatar regularly. Sometimes I even brush my teeth.
I'd be a friend butt if we should ever hook up please don't volunteer to show me your surgery scares,lol

Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I'd be a friend butt if we should ever hook up please don't volunteer to show me your surgery scares,lol
Not even my C section?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
I have many friends that are gear heads. Most of them on motorcycles, (my second hobby) Both my brother in laws are in to full blown Camaro and give me some good natured grief about my old truck. And I have a co-worker/friend that is into Mustangs in a big way. He and I regularly go to pull-a-parts together. I to have family and friends that always want me to work on their cars and stuff or since they know I have a lathe and mill if I can make this or that for them. So I charge them for the material and or parts and sometimes I add a little extra in for my time lost on working on my truck. If I really don't have the time I just tell them it will be next week or so before I can get to it. They usually get it fixed by someone else by then.

Quick Reply: Whats up with this!!??!!