The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

College: A Waste of Time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4T
i wish i knew what to do next, high school now what its not like i could talk to someone about it.
I know the feeling....Right now, I'm on the 6 yr plan, for a 2 yr course...Medium/Heavy truck repair...

It's a 50/50 deal between me wanting to finish what I started, and my gf simply saying either show initiative, or I'm gone....And it's working out for me...

Sit down and figure out what you like to do most, and then check on classes that accentuate that....You'll be a LOT more relaxed..

And btw...I'm 23, been married and divorced....And nobody gives me anything but a hardtime...

Old 01-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
try to pay your way as you go or find a way to get it paid for because you will be in debt for a long time after, you wont make the big bucks when you get out. you will struggle worse then when you went in, because you have to pay this debt.

no way out of the student loans debt, not even if you file bankrupcy. the state of our country isnt in your favor right now to provide you with a very good chance of paying this back.

its real. its allot of weight to carry trying to pay student loans when no one is hiring and when they are you can give up 1/3rd to 1/2 your paycheck to you loan payments. most people with student debt after they graduate probably make less then minimum wage if you take their student loan payments out of their income.

i made the mistake of thinking i was going to make good money when i got out. and then life happens. you get married have kids, lose jobs, and theres one thing you can always count on, and thats is to have the burden of student loan payments, if you make good money or stuggle to feed your family. government dont care. PAY UP SUCKER.

the reality side of student loans.

some people think student loans is the new form of monetary slavery.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by b-uno
try to pay your way as you go or find a way to get it paid for because you will be in debt for a long time after, you wont make the big bucks when you get out. you will struggle worse then when you went in, because you have to pay this debt.

no way out of the student loans debt, not even if you file bankrupcy. the state of our country isnt in your favor right now to provide you with a very good chance of paying this back.

its real. its allot of weight to carry trying to pay student loans when no one is hiring and when they are you can give up 1/3rd to 1/2 your paycheck to you loan payments. most people with student debt after they graduate probably make less then minimum wage if you take their student loan payments out of their income.

i made the mistake of thinking i was going to make good money when i got out. and then life happens. you get married have kids, lose jobs, and theres one thing you can always count on, and thats is to have the burden of student loan payments, if you make good money or stuggle to feed your family. government dont care. PAY UP SUCKER.

A-Effing-MEN!

Now, you cannot file bankruptcy......Only way to get loan forgiveness, is to go in for a Dr., nurse, etc....A civil servant...

I have about $10,000 in SL's....And my payment is roughly $85 a month...Not TOO bad...lol

Old 01-24-2012, 03:15 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
A-Effing-MEN!

Now, you cannot file bankruptcy......Only way to get loan forgiveness, is to go in for a Dr., nurse, etc....A civil servant...

I have about $10,000 in SL's....And my payment is roughly $85 a month...Not TOO bad...lol

wow how did you get such a low payment, im about 34k and almost
$400 a month payment.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

$400 a month payment.
Idk....naturally calculates its' self....

I walked into AT&T and paid only $320 for 2 phones, unlimited internet, etc....

Before my divorce, I had a 740 credit score.....

Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

$400 a month payment.
Idk....naturally calculates its' self....

I walked into AT&T and paid only $320 for 2 phones, unlimited internet, etc....

Before my divorce, I had a 740 credit score.....

I'm just now 23...

Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will say that for me, College was not a waste of time. I am 24, and was asking myself that very same question.

I had a strong urge to take the easy way out and go to a 2 year tech school for auto repair.

I decided to go to college for automotive engineering instead. During the course of school, I worked part time at an auto repair place. By the end of my junior year, my work in school along with my experiences working on vehicles outside of school had landed me an internship With Ford in Dearborn, MI. during the summer. I spent 3 months in Michigan, and returned in the fall to finish my senior year in college where we built and raced a formula SAE car.

About 1 week before I graduated I was contacted with a job offer. It was a salary position with full benefits. I accepted this position and have been at it for over 7 months now and love it. I think back to that day when I made the decision to go to college and I am glad I did.

But my success is not fully attributed to going to college. I am successful because I wanted to be, and I did everything in my power to ensure that I was, including going to college.

Its a fact that on average, you WILL make more money by going to college. So if making money is important to you in your life, then give yourself the tools required to do so: a college degree.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Imagine what else you could do in that four years?
Enlist in the service of your choice, then get paid to attend school for a full four-year ride up to fifteen years afterwards.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Monorail_Red
Junior User
Depends what you're going for. But it seems like a college degree is becoming the new high school diploma, so it can be hard. In my case, I'm going into educational technology so I need a degree to be in such an environment.

I can see why school can be a waste of time and be really

For me it's working out well because at my school, the degree program specific classes are taught by mostly working professionals in the field who teach part time, so learning from real world experience vs. textbook and theory is awesome. You're always going to come across the tenured ones who stand around and pretend they know what they're talking about, but it's not always like that.

Do some research and talk to some advisors to find out the qualifications of their instructors.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I didn't go to college, I didn't even really graduate from High School. My father died when I was 16, and my mother needed help with the household.

I studied on my own, was a computer consultant at 17 years old, and been in the IT field ever since, for the past 30 years.

I now work for a college. Go figure. I think that, given the opportunity, college would have been a great thing for me. Or anyone.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 21411
from the 23 year old with an associates degree;

if you waste time and energy in college then thats what it is. if your there for you expanding your mind or skills. it will be fun relaxing and rewarding. if money is the issue talk to a recruter i hear they have programs to help with college and experience.
I hope you didn't major in English..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Yeehaw1
Senior User

Yep, I agree with that last sentence completely, I went to school for 1 year, just ONE year, and around 1/4 + of my paycheck goes to student loans every single time... I've been planning on going back (community technicle college this time), but heck, I can't afford to live now, if I go back, then I can't work the hours I do now, and then how am i supposed to make it? (well, live, and enjoy life (work on my truck) it's a half hour drive just to get to work for me, and about the same if i went back to school.)

Rant over...

Originally Posted by monckywrench
Enlist in the service of your choice, then get paid to attend school for a full four-year ride up to fifteen years afterwards.
that isn't an option for some of us... They won't allow you to serve if you have certain medical conditions...

Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Just got to say, when I read the title of this thread, the words "No no no" go through my mind.

I know I have posted on this subject before, but I think it is important to say that this world is a HUGE place with ALOT of different companies. College will get you that huge ranch in Wyoming if you want it, or that 30th story apartment in NYC if that is your goal as well. Bottom line is, the United States of America is such a great place because what you put in is what you get out. If you want to be a stay at home welfare mom or dad, then do nothing and blame other people for it. If you want to be successful in life, get out of your chair and get educated in something useful. That is to say you should not expect to make $50,000 a year if you have a degree in underwater basket weaving. Get a degree in something that is useful to a large number of people like engineering or design. Even if you are going for a technical degree, have an understanding in supply and demand. If there is a huge demand for Diesel technicians, you will get a good job right away. If there is no demand for underwater basket weaver's, then you will probably work at McDonalds for the rest of your life with an underwater basket weaving degree. You need to decide what is important.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 AM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Peter94
Just got to say, when I read the title of this thread, the words "No no no" go through my mind.

I know I have posted on this subject before, but I think it is important to say that this world is a HUGE place with ALOT of different companies. College will get you that huge ranch in Wyoming if you want it, or that 30th story apartment in NYC if that is your goal as well. Bottom line is, the United States of America is such a great place because what you put in is what you get out. If you want to be a stay at home welfare mom or dad, then do nothing and blame other people for it. If you want to be successful in life, get out of your chair and get educated in something useful. That is to say you should not expect to make $50,000 a year if you have a degree in underwater basket weaving. Get a degree in something that is useful to a large number of people like engineering or design. Even if you are going for a technical degree, have an understanding in supply and demand. If there is a huge demand for Diesel technicians, you will get a good job right away. If there is no demand for underwater basket weaver's, then you will probably work at McDonalds for the rest of your life with an underwater basket weaving degree. You need to decide what is important.
Agreed with your post completely as well, (actually had more on my previous post, but i don't know what happened to it...) I intend to go back for something to do with water (drinking water) just have to decide for sure what aspect i want to go for.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Ill throw in my $.02 here. Ill start out by saying what my Grandma always said to me: Youll never get a job unless you know someone. I kinda laughed when she first told me but theyre is so much truth in that, its not even funny.

I went to school for 1 year to be a Gunsmith. Waste of time and money completely. Financial Aid paid for my schooling but not gas. I wish I could go back and never have went STILL. I currently am employed at UPS and have a very bright future ahead of me with the oppertunity to make well over 6 digits someday. Best part? No school required.

Quick Reply: College: A Waste of Time?