Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

GARRETT TS04 T-58 TURBO 7.3 IDI !!Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
With what fuel prices are doing, I think a 6.0 intercooler is about all I want.

If the fuel prices do what I think they are going to do, the milled pistons will be coming out and the boost will get cut back so I can run them.

I about croaked when fuel went to 4.899 a gallon six months after I built this engine.

Like I have said before, it's fun to drive, but you pay for it every time you pull up to the fuel pumps.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Chemgrad
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys here's the specs that the seller gave me on the new turbo

"THIS IS A BRAND NEW(TS04) T-58 TURBO,(PHAT SHAFT) IT WAS ORDERED FOR A 6.9 OR 7.3 IDI FORD DSL TRUCK BUT NEVER PAID FOR BY THE CLIENT SO HERE IT IS.

T3 FORD STYLE TURBINE HOUSING WITH A P-TRIM BIG SHAFT WHEEL

CENTER SECTION IS OIL LUBRICATED ONLY

.55 A/R COMP WITH A (TS04) T-58 COMP WHEEL

RATED TO PUSH 550 HP - 750 HP POLISHED COMP HOUSING"

It is amazing that these things turn in excess of 112k rpm, wow.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Chemgrad
Freshman User
Yeah the big oil companies are bending us over and giving us the pineapple again. They claim to be producing at max capacity but then if you read carefully you will see that the big 3 posted near record profits during the past quarter which was attributed to "increased production to take advantage of higher oil prices".

Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
I like that turbo but on mine i am thinking i am gonna do 1 ats factory turbo then a garret 38r ball bearing a compound set up if you want let the smaller ats spool out then the big boy takes up and goes on for more a 6.4 kinda deal make plenty of boost and light up quick with the ip maxxed out and intercoolers are easy to find craigslist has tons or ebay them

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ive got the 6.0 intercooler on my truck and (when i had my turbo) i loved it. cant believe the temp difference between the hot and cold side. didnt take long to modify the radiator core support to fit it either. quick fab of the frame mounts and done! getting the tubing all figured out was the hardest part but i just drove it down to the local exhaust shop and had them start bending it up. did it in 2' sections so it was easier to get the bends right and easy to remove sections to get under and around them when working on something else.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Chemgrad
Freshman User
Hey 94 Smokin Stroker had I known about this site a little sooner I would have chosen a different turbo as well but what is done is done. I should be getting the spacers for the exhaust inlet and oil return tomorrow. So with any luck I should have it mounted Saturday and then I can get my exhaust on and once I get a custom intake hat made I'll be running.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
WTF a P trim turbine in a T3 housing...WOW, how much did they bore out that housing to fit that? That is a BIG turbine wheel.

Do you have any pics of the turbo with the turbine housing off, I'm curious to see.

BTW after reading this thread, I looked at my own truck and realizd the T04E 60 trim that I so wanted to put on was going to be a bitch to fit in there due to how close the factory T04B housing is to the intake hat....sigh, that sucks.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Chemgrad
Freshman User
ghunt no I don't have any pics with the housing off, sorry. I am going to have to have a custom intake hat made (this is after getting spacers made for the exhaust inlet and oil return pedestal to get the comp housing off of the injection lines) because the compressor housing is so freaking huge. Like I said earlier this has turned into a heck of a lot more of a project than I was lead to believe by the turbo's seller. Hopefully it will be a lot better than the stock compressor so I can say at some point many many many years from now all the aggravation was worth it

Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

.55 A/R ?
The turbo I am running right now has a .72 A/R if I remember right.
I have two, and I can't remember for sure which one is on there right now.

That is going to build boost down at low RPM's, but I also have an idea that your EGT's are going to be high.

I bet the reason the person that ordered it did not pay for it/take it was they figured out how hard it was going to be to put on the engine.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chemgrad
Hey 94 Smokin Stroker had I known about this site a little sooner I would have chosen a different turbo as well but what is done is done. I should be getting the spacers for the exhaust inlet and oil return tomorrow. So with any luck I should have it mounted Saturday and then I can get my exhaust on and once I get a custom intake hat made I'll be running.
for your custom intake hat, take a look at what Russ or (typefour here on this site) made for his. He made it so the intercooler will run to it a lot easier. That might give you some ideas on what to make for yours.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Chemgrad
Freshman User
Dave I bet that you are right on the money. Coalroller thanks for the tip I will check out what he has.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

If I remember right, that intake hat was from a Hypermax intercooler setup.

And it fit with a stock Ford/ATS filter box.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Chemgrad
Freshman User
Thanks Dave I see now how the intercooler works. It would be a good idea to put one on now while I'm getting the intake hat made. Do any of you guys know where I can get one for a decent price (under 300 bucks would be great)?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Chemgrad
Freshman User
Looks like I'm going to have to make a custom oil return/pedestal too. I'll take pictures once I have everything together for any future misguided soul who wants to try and do the same thing.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Chemgrad
Freshman User
Alright so I found a guy semi-local who has an intercooler from a Chevy Duramax for $50. So I'll be adding that to the truck as well.

Quick Reply: GARRETT TS04 T-58 TURBO 7.3 IDI !!Help!!