Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Does anybody make a stock appearing toe board patch panel for an F1?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
Does anybody make a stock appearing toe board patch panel for an F1?

I pulled out a layer of fiberglass over my floorboard this weekend in my project. When it came out, a bunch of swiss cheese cancer showed itself. The amazing thing is that the floor looked really good on the underside before I pulled that fiberglass out. Then it showed its hidden secret (I wasn't surprised considering the idiots who fixed my truck a long time ago used 2 sheetmetal screws instead of the necessary bolts to re-install my gas tank among other things). The rust extends "up the hill" onto the toeboards. The cab mount brackets are rough but salvageable and the rocker panels and posts are okay. Here's my question. Does anybody out there fool with making a stock appearing toe board patch either directly connected to a floor pan patch or as a separate piece? I'm trying to find a donor cab with an intact floor, but I'm afraid that's like asking a life-long smoker to be a lung donor around here. Not having much luck. I found a place called directsheetmetal in California, but all they have is a custom kit with totally different dimensions for the pans, toeboards, and the tranny cover in a totally different design.. I was more interested in keeping the stock appearance of the floor boards and the tranny cover. Anybody know of a place that fools with making toe board patches? If not, and I can't find a donor, I'll just do the best I can on my own.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
No one makes the toe board replacement patch. Neither is the rear floor patch panel made. Only the front half of the floor is made.

I have a spare cab that I might be able to have the toe board cut out of. Just need to check on its condition first, though.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
Thanks. I'm actually checking on a couple of cabs here relatively local. A couple of other members helped me find some possibilites last night. I know I'm a rookie, but I honestly cannot get over how every bit of that metal separated and showed the damage when I pulled that loose fiberglass out of the floorboard. "If I'm lyin' I'm dyin" when I say that the bottom of that whole cab was intact and actually looked really good right before I pulled the fiberglass out. I studied the bottom of the pieces I pulled out and thin layers of that sheetmetal were still stuck to it (thus leaving the thin areas and the holes behind).

Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
No one makes that part which seems strange to me. In all the trucks I've had whenever the floor is rotted the toe boards are just as damaged. I sent a PM to EMS to ask about making a patch for the toe board and asked them to stop here to give us some input. I'd be interested in seeing what they have to say. Maybe if there's enough interest they might start making them. I know it wouldn't be an overnight thing but people are always dragging these old trucks out of the bushes. Many are ones that have been overlooked in past years because of the condition of their sheet metal. Since the pool of really solid trucks is starting to thin,and the rot buckets are getting a second look, there might be a decent market for this patch.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Doc
Postmaster
You make a good point. To me it would just make sense to just offer an "extended floor pan" option that can ride up onto the toe board some. I just need about 4 inches to be safe past the bend. The more I studied my truck, it's quite obvious that the combination of a leaky window seal and cowl vent along with that layer of fiberglass and overlying carpet doomed my floor board. Because it did indeed rust from inside.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Northern Classic Trucks sells a complete for the '40-47 truck. The parts look pretty close, I know the parts don't look any more complicated to make than the later models.

I can't believe that there wouldn't a bigger demand for parts for the Bonus Built trucks. I'm pretty sure there were more '48-52 sold than the '40-47 but I could be wrong.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Okay, after looking at that picture, it's quite obvious to me that we're being discriminated against. I know we've had the fender discussions before, but these companies are reproducing 34 Duesenberg milk trucks from the ground up and we can't even get a ready-made toe board.

EDIT: I just called Northern Classic, the lady said that they have never really received any requests for a toe board patch for 48-52's. I told her to mark me down as the first caller. I just can't believe there isn't a bigger demand for those pieces.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Indybeer
Elder User
Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.
Mid Fifty makes firewall/toe board reproduction panels. Not sure if it will fit the F1 or not. It is in their catalog on page 96.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
I doubt the panel will fit the Bonus Built trucks, they're pretty much completely different trucks.

I can't believe Northern has never been asked about the toe boards, they're always rusted out, at leasth the first 3-4".

Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
EDIT: I just called Northern Classic, the lady said that they have never really received any requests for a toe board patch for 48-52's. I told her to mark me down as the first caller. I just can't believe there isn't a bigger demand for those pieces.
Should we all call them or write a group letter/email?

I can send them to bottom half of my spare cab to use as a guide for reproduction.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
You can't download their catalog yet but I doubt they'd have them either. Usually only one or two places will make a part like this, EMS and Northern Trucks are the two biggest I can think of. Carpenter and Drake might make their own patch panels but I'm not sure. They then sell them to the other vendors.

There's another place Classic2current that just started making the one piece floor pans but they cover the same area that the other vendors make.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Should we all call them or write a group letter/email?

I can send them to bottom half of my spare cab to use as a guide for reproduction.
I think that could help if we either called or wrote them a group email/letter. I don't care a bit to write it and put some names of people from this forum who are interested in this part or any other one for that matter. I imagine the members of this forum could have a say in things like this. I'd doubt that it would help my situation, and I'm sure I'll just fix it best I can with my own patches or get lucky with a donor or replacement cab. But it may help somebody down the road. Like Bob said, the trucks that were originally passed over are getting a second look nowadays.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 AM
attitude32
New User
attitude32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I talked to Candi with Classic Haulers and they are in the process of having these made. Hopefully very soon.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by attitude32 View Post
I talked to Candi with Classic Haulers and they are in the process of having these made. Hopefully very soon.
We owe "Mountaindoc" a huge thank you for spearheading this endeavor.

More info here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-of-hands.html

Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
Fifty-Fourd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check with Sacremento Vintage Ford at Sacramento Vintage Ford Parts, Inc. • 888-Ford-100 I've found several hard to find repro parts there and their resonable on price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anybody make a stock appearing toe board patch panel for an F1?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.