Sponsored by:

4WD doesn't work!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:39 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD doesn't work!

So the first significant snow we had this winter I find out the 4WD doesn't work! I'm so upset about this. I can't trust this to carry my family around in the snow and ice and I now have to take it to the dealership. I don't have anyplace to do the work myself and it's 14 degrees out. Merry Christmas to me!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4wd not working

Do you have auto's or manual/auto. I know on my 2002 the auto's get stuck if you dont turn them once in a while. I would recomend ditching the auto's all together and getting a set of warn or superwinch, Warn being my first choice. If you have the manual/auto hubs, soak them in WD40 and CAREFULLY! use 2 sets of channel locking pliers to wiggle them back and forth until they lock into place.

If thats not it check your vacum lines that run from each wheel to the passenger side fender just behind the battery.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
what he said....
and have always heard 4 wheel drive will just get you INTO harder places to get out of don't most of those two wheelers do it without 4x4 !?!

the ex's are great in 2 wheel drive - let a bit of air out of the tires and drive it like you were on ice.... easy and slow change of direction...

besides 4 wheel drive won't help with braking and that;s when the problems start cuz some doofus was doing something doofus's DO

good luck and carry extra blankets in the back

Old 12-12-2010, 12:29 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would guess you have a vacuum leak to the auto lock hubs. turn them manually and then let us know if you still dont have 4wd. search the term "ESOF" and you will find plenty of info. Electric Shift On the Fly

Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 AM
59CRL
Senior User
Originally Posted by soutthpaw
I would guess you have a vacuum leak to the auto lock hubs. turn them manually and then let us know if you still dont have 4wd. search the term "ESOF" and you will find plenty of info. Electric Shift On the Fly
Yep, get under the vehicle and check the rubber lines, I bet they are dry rotted or broken.... just like everyone else has said they work on vacuum..... also turn the hubs to the front of the vehicle this locks them in 4WD.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

turn your blower on to blow out the vents........then put it in 4wd and see if it diverts itself to defrost on a pull........indicates a vaccum leak........mine did this and I replaced the vaccum lines to each front knuckle in about 10 minutes for less than 5 bucks with some bulk vaccum line from advance auto........the lines are routed with the front brake hoses and the ABS sensor wires

Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 AM
TexasEx
Junior User
My air conditioner switched to defrost when I turn the ESOF ****. I changed the vacuum pump from partsguyed and everything is working perfetly now. I bought my 2000 Ex used this year and suspected that after being 10 years old the vacuum pump was probably the original...and it was. partsguyed hooked me up for $70.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Thanks guys!

I haven't been able to turn the hubs since I bought it in July (I never knew to check it), but the 4WD was working a couple of months ago when I tested it. Unfortunately, I either have worn clutch plates in the rear or an open differential, because only one wheel spins in the back. I'll do some testing with the vacuum lines to see if that does it.

Can someone explain the "be careful" when using WD40 on the hub? I would be just fine locking them manually for now.

Thanks again!

Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
think he means don't put TOO much pressure when turning locked hubs....

if'n it doesn't give without giving it a LOT of leverage, don't force it and it will need to be taken apart...

Old 12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Thanks! I just re-read that after reading your post. Thanks for helping to clarify that. I thought it had to do with the WD40. LOL!

Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Thanks for the Channel lock trick! I was able to get the hubs turned, quite easily too! I was never able to turn them by hand, but I barely had to use any force with the channel locks. I got as much WD40 on them too, before I ran out of pressure in the cold that is! I'll be bringing them all in the house so they actually work. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to start the truck to check the vacuum. I've been having some cold start issues and it struck again, so it's on the charger. Anyone know where I can get some new battery cables or should I build them myself?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM
radmacks
Senior User
No problem glad it worked. and Yes I meant careful on the force (as I have broken a hub or two ). Ford parts sells the cable for about $130.

Rep points are all the thanks I need.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Well, I check out the vacuum lines and they look good, plus the HVAC works properly when I have it in 4x4. Now the good news...

I tried it today and it seems to be working fine! YAY!!!! It must have been manually locking the hubs or something, but it worked several times today! I'll take them apart this summer to clean and lube everything well to keep them in working order.

Thanks again!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
crh
New User
help i'm stuck!!!!!...Again

i have a ford X limited harley davidson Ed 1st got stuck in my driveway after a snowstorm in New England / MA, called AAA when it would not move they sent a flatbed he hooked the breast up in the front and then tried to pull in forwards in N didnt work so he had me put it in D and tried it again nothing then he got stuck i thought i locked the hubs and the wheels were spinning not together or at all . AAA made sure they were locked and they were got out today i'm trying to get up to the house on a very small hill 1/2 way up it stopped moving and started to go backward in D had the tires checked last Sat and 30min before the hill was told they are fine what gives!!!!! i have owned a ford explorer EB, expd EB, and now the beast(X) never had this problem before with the other two waiting again for AAA and Ford to call me back to get an appt

Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 AM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crh
i have a ford X limited harley davidson Ed ....
There is no such thing. I suspect you have an Excursion, no problem there. But Ford never made

a Harley Davidson edition. Out of curiosity, what makes you describe it as a Harley Davidson edition?

Quick Reply: 4WD doesn't work!