Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning our Ford OBDI EEC IV - QH/Tweecer/Others

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent thread... Bookmarked for later reading...

Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 AM
mshoemaker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is indeed great information. I wonder though if anyone has come across any information about the J3 port on an EEC-IV? I am not looking to tune my engine, but I would love to be able to view and log data such as coolant temp, rpm, and a few others. My engine is a 351W running SEFI with a computer from a 91 Mustang. If I can figure out how to get the data from the J3 port I will write my own application to display the data I need.

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mshoemaker
This is indeed great information. I wonder though if anyone has come across any information about the J3 port on an EEC-IV? I am not looking to tune my engine, but I would love to be able to view and log data such as coolant temp, rpm, and a few others. My engine is a 351W running SEFI with a computer from a 91 Mustang. If I can figure out how to get the data from the J3 port I will write my own application to display the data I need.

Thanks,
Matthew
I don't know of any way to data log without a data logging device such as the Quarterhorse and Tweecer. It's easy if you invest in the right equipment.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
mshoemaker
Freshman User
Well I am more inclined to build my own hardware than buy it. My purpose is to gain knowledge as well as the logging. So if I can't get the information from the J3 port like QuarterHorse does, then I guess I will just have to tap into the sensor lines at the ECM connector. I just finished connecting my own hardware to the CAN bus in both my 2011 Focus, and my 2004 F150.

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 957 Likes on 758 Posts
There is loads of info out there on these EEC-4 computers..

http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/eectch98.pdf

Ford Fuel Injection » Reference Books

Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM
mshoemaker
Freshman User
Thanks, I hadn't seen that document before. I should have looked there. Fordfuelinjection.com is where I bought the wiring harness when I swapped EFI into my Bronco back in 2004.

Matthew

Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Mr. M
Elder User
Originally Posted by 73FOMO
Price for the QH is around $250 + $80 for software. Tweecer runs around $375 - $500 depending on model (I believe). You would also probably want to invest in Wideband o2 which runs another $175. The wideband really allows you to fine tune your setup.
I like the way this is headed so far. I ran a custom dyno burned chip with my once new (now has 60,000 miles) 9.5:1 306w but have since gone back to stock PCM. With the addition of the wideband, I was able to see the motor leaned out only above 4,300 rpm's with stock Ford MAF truck parts with AFR's spot on. And since the tuner was afraid to mess or didn't quite grasp the transmission shifting parameters (E4od) my motor never saw this range unless held in 1st or 2nd gear.

Since then I've been disenfranchised with the OBD-1 EEC-IV tuning on our trucks with electronic controlled transmissions. However, I have been wanting to plunge into Tweecer...as I have a bunch of go-fast goodies in the garage for the SBF I'd like to entertain. Until I can nail down a kit that can hold the gears longer for the E4OD, I won't try it again.

Also, you would need to get your binary code off your pcm to see if that particular strategy has any definition support. Some definitions are free, some are pay for definitions, depends on how common the strategy is. Most of the major Mustang 5.0 strategies are free. I had to pay $25 for my strategy from the developer who reverse engineers the ford code so us common folk know what the heck we are looking at.
I just have not garnered a clear answer from this forum or the old lightning forum regarding tweecer and it's transmission tunability. It seems most guys copy a file from another guy's setup....and with the Gen 1 lightnings being SD with E40d, I cannot use much of their fuel/timing maps.

My only problem with it now, is it shifts too conservatively. I want it holding 1st and 2nd gear longer. I've driven an F250 (EEC-5, or OBD-II) with custom 5.8's and E4OD shifting program, and it was a beast. However, the tuner only had the capability for OBD-II transmission tweaking only....

Cheers,
Mike

Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mshoemaker
Well I am more inclined to build my own hardware than buy it. My purpose is to gain knowledge as well as the logging. So if I can't get the information from the J3 port like QuarterHorse does, then I guess I will just have to tap into the sensor lines at the ECM connector.
You can make a "dongle" easily enough. What you do is buy an EEC out of the junkyard that has the same number of EEC pins that yours does (EEC 3, 4, 5) and while taking that you cut the connector off the harness with about six inches or a foot of wire.

Remove and desolder the connector off the circuit board then solder the wires of the harness connector to connector off the circuitboard.

Now you have a basc EEC "extension cord" and you can tap THOSE wires at will, without messing up your factory harness.

You can monitor almost all of the EEC lines with high-impedance op-amps as a buffer, then either use an A/D convertor to read analog signals or a basic circuit to convert to true digital to monitor pulses and pulse widths.

You can actually buy these... every so often you'll find one on ebay and it's called a "breakout box". I made one because at the time I only saw one listed on ebay and I wasn't awake at 3am to snipe it.

If some of the connector spots are empty, you can easily fill those by cutting off a second harness connector of another car, and moving the wires over to fully load one EEC connector 100%.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Mr. M
Elder User
Originally Posted by Conanski
OK here are a couple screen shots from my tuner setup to show you guys some of the capabilities of this gear. The first is the dashboard where you can monitor a range of parameters in real time. One of the limitations of the Tweecer is that you can only datalog/monitor about 16 parameters at a time and that is why you see some blank windows in this shot. I was experimenting with dual O2 sensors at the time so I was monitoring the injector and fuel map parameters for both banks(all that stuff in the middle) so I had to turn off some other things like the TPS and EGR, it's a minor inconvience that doesn't really impact the power of the system. Also note the AFR reading right below the Speed and RPM windows, this is from my wideband O2 sensor that seamlessly patches into the Binary Editor software.

The next picture is the base(sealevel) spark table on the Tuner page. Changing the spark parameters is stupid easy here, just highlight a block in the table and change the number.. or highlight a whole section of the table and add 3 deg to them all in one step.. for example. A cool features of this software is that if you switch to this page while dataloging you will see a highlighted block following the actual spark advance being applied as the motor operates. Another great feature is the ability to easily compare binary files(tunes), it's not shown in this pic but if for example I was to click the button labelled "c3w1new.bin" in the "Compare Binary" section at the bottom the software will put the spark table for that tune up next to the current one and highlight any differences.

This next pic is the MAF transfer curve. This is one parameter that has a hugh effect on how the engine runs and again it's all too easy to modify by manually changing the kg/hr numbers in the second column on the left or by importing the data from a file. With this you can use any MAF meter you like as long as you have the response data for it.

In all cases here once changes are made you have to save them to a binary file and burn that in a memory location on the Tweecer hardware(the TweecerRT that I have has 4 memory positions selectable on the fly from a dash mounted rotary switch). Burning the file to memory is done by pressing the button with the red down arrow in the Tuner window at the bottom which only takes seconds.
Conanski... Is there anything in there for shift strategies? e.g. 4r70w or E4OD?

Do you have access to a binary file with any of those transmissions?

Any help would be appreciated
Mike

p.s. Anyone know if either of these tuning strategies could be used with a Baumann transmission controller?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
1965F100
Senior User
Agreed the E4 "brain" is puke.
My first change would be the damn TCC kicking on and off with the throttle...swear it turns off the TCC when I apply throttle, then kicks it back on second later...so if you are on and off the throttle in traffic, is it always VROOOOM, vroom, VVROOOOM, vroom.
Just leave the SOB ON damn it, until I brake or throttle to a point the load calls for it to be off. I has to be a very simple logic to manipulate.

Oddly enough, I build E4s, and tons of AOD/E/4R's for performance use, however never got into the tuning.

A line pressure increase, and small spacer in the accumualtors makes a ton of difference on how the trans feels and pulls. A converter makes 100% difference and makes the E4 worth having.

Of course if it was up to me, the F150 should have never had the E4, it only needs the AOD/E/4R. If I could swap the 4R into my F150 crew cab I will.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 PM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
I have the 4r70w electronic controlled transmission and I can change basically anything with my Quarterhorse through Binary Editor....including shift points, line pressure, tcc lockup. Do you you know what box code you have on your PCM? I'll try and get a screen shot up of some of the transmission scalars for my '95 with 4r70w.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Mr. M
Elder User
I have the 4r70w electronic controlled transmission and I can change basically anything with my Quarterhorse through Binary Editor....including shift points, line pressure, tcc lockup. Do you you know what box code you have on your PCM? I'll try and get a screen shot up of some of the transmission scalars for my '95 with 4r70w.
Awesome...that's what I wanted to hear!!! I am much more familiar with SCT and Tweecer from trolling the Gen1 lightning forums.

I have considered the Baumann TCS controller, but I always ***umed a proper tuning platform would have the ability to change these parameters as well without forking out another $750 to tune just the shift points.

HOG1 is the code on my PCM. It's a rare PCM as a 1994 California Emissions truck with stock MAF, 5.0 and E4od. But any OBD-1, 5.0, MAF, E4OD binary should work.

Thanks much 73FOMO! Very much appreciated.

Mike

Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
1965F100
Senior User
LOL....HOG1.....guess the 5.8L version is HOG2, cause both are tuned to NOT "hog" fuel and sacrifice performance. I have a A3M california stang computer in my Markvii...but it was free, so hey.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
1965F100
Senior User
Conanski or 73FOMO
IS there a perameter that will leave the TCC applied when you left off the throttle, or the TPS goes to idle?

I really hate how in traffic my E4 kicks the TCC OFF when I release the throttle, then when I reapply throttle, it is off, (or kicks off in that split second) only to RE apply the TCC a second later.....if I am above 30mph in 3rd or 4th, throttle or NOT, can it just stay the ***** on damn it! It will kick off when I apply brakes, or apply "x" amount of throttle...but I don;t see why it needs to kick on and off like that.

Plus, if it stays ON, it will create more engine brake effect, which is GOOD IMO!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 1965F100
Conanski or 73FOMO
IS there a perameter that will leave the TCC applied when you left off the throttle, or the TPS goes to idle?

I really hate how in traffic my E4 kicks the TCC OFF when I release the throttle, then when I reapply throttle, it is off, (or kicks off in that split second) only to RE apply the TCC a second later.....if I am above 30mph in 3rd or 4th, throttle or NOT, can it just stay the ***** on damn it! It will kick off when I apply brakes, or apply "x" amount of throttle...but I don;t see why it needs to kick on and off like that.

Plus, if it stays ON, it will create more engine brake effect, which is GOOD IMO!
Yes..you can totally control lockup of the TCC, but TCC does not work in first gear, I also would not suggest to use in 2nd. You can lockup 3rd and 4th all day if you want. You can set the lock and unlock mph no problem. I like for it to kick off personally...right now I have mine tweaked to lock right after shifting into 3rd and right after shifting into 4th, and to unlock when I go below those shift points.

Transmission tuning rocks! I love that mine is electronically controlled.

Quick Reply: Tuning our Ford OBDI EEC IV - QH/Tweecer/Others