1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is my external fuel filter making it easier to have gelled fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my external fuel filter making it easier to have gelled fuel?

I've had gelled fuel for the past 2 days. I sorted it out yesterday by:

1. replacing the ITP frame-mounted fuel filter
2. replacing the stock fuel filter
3. filling both filters with Diesel 911

After I got her running good, I added 16oz. of "white bottle" Diesel Kleen and then filled the tank with 8.5 gallons of fuel. Previously I added ~30 oz. of the 911 to the tank.

It took most of the day but by the evening she was running normally again. I took her down the highway and 75/80mph was no problem.

This morning, she started fine, idled up normally, and hit the road. First mile, fine. Then she started chugging again. So now I'm trying to figure out what the source is of my gelling.

Other details: it was -15* out both nights, and as far as I know, I'm working off the original OEM fuel pump @ 187,000 miles. It's going to hit a high of maybe 10* here today, so here's my plan of attack:

1. Replace original fuel pump with spare one from a 50,000 mile truck.
2. Disconnect external fuel filter and replace with a Fram G3 unit I have at the house.
3. Add 911 to stock fuel bowl.

My thought is that the external fuel filter hangs down in the wind and even with the additives it's getting gelled there and causing a flow restriction. Has anyone else had this issue with the external fuel filters? I'm pretty sure this is the first time since adding the external filter that she's been in sub-zero temps for an extended period, and I can't go through this crap every winter.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tell me what ideas y'all have. Thanks!!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm, you got my attention...

I'm running a totally stock system so I'm interested in your findings. I don't have time to mess with my truck until Friday night at the earliest.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think wind chill will effect your fuel, and you've already got the lines and fuel pump down there any way.

What is the micron rating of your fuel filter? Do you still have the stock fuel filter also? I'm completely guessing here, but if you've got a small micron filter down there, perhaps it's plugging up since the filter restriction is too great.

Dennis has been selling that kit for years so I don't think that's the culprit. If you've got a tank full of clouded or partially waxed fuel, I'd guess you'll keep plugging filters until you can get the fuel warmed up enough to clear things up.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 AM
papadelogan

Removing the big Baldwin BF1212 filter will do a couple things:

1. Reduce fuel filter surface area so when gelling occurs the media doesn't clog
2. Reduce filter replacement costs: G3 = $4, BF1212 = $10
3. Solve my space issue for mounting the 52 gallon Titan tank I purchased.

I tweaked my back muscles up pretty good between crawling around in the snow/slush under the truck and starting back to lifting this morning, so today's work is gonna SUCK.

I think my fuel pump might be getting weak, and with the extra load from gelled fuel I think replacing it's just a good idea.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Does your fuel bowl heater still work? If not even on stock when the fuel gets cloudy it plugged my filter. I cut it apart and the element was almost totally blocked after heat and 911.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm guessing if you had a regulated return system your problems would decrease, but that's just a hunch.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Rich in CO
Senior User
When my truck froze up yesterday I noticed that my inline filter was jelld up however the fuel in the was fine & I think the fuel in my tank is good also once I got the filter twaded with a heat gun and running the fuel from the tank looked good.

I'll find out more later today when I go fire her up & see if all the 911 & DK helped any.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
papadelogan

I changed my plan and decided to try one thing at a time, and went after what I considered the most likely source - the external fuel filter. I took off the fresh one I put on yesterday and installed another brand new one (again half-full of DK 911) and she fired right up.

My conclusion then would be that my fuel is still gelled enough that wax is building up in the filter, clogging the element, and causing the lean/chugging condition. The BF1212 is a 20 micron filter (thanks Pete! spec's posted HERE) and the Fram G3 is rated to "as small as 10 microns" but @ 1/3 the price.

Once the weather warms I'll probably be removing the BF1212 & mount and simply using a G3. My 2002 Excursion with a similar G3 setup (and reg return) has had zero problems starting up. Plus, like I said, it will give me the room I need for the 52 gallon Titan tank I bought.

I'll try to give Dennis a call to discuss and I AM NOT knocking his product at all. But my specific circumstances are undeniable.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brendan,

The labeling/advertisement on Power Service's White bottle and all the other anti-gelling products out there can be very deceiving.

Prevents fuel gelling in temperatures as low as -40°F

The ASTM D6371 test is what is used to determine Cold Filter Plug Point(CFPP). Well, here is the catch. This test uses a 45 micron filter and like you said the filter with ITP's kit (BF1212) is 20 micron. IIRC the fuel filter in the bowl is 14 micron. So in our application the CFPP is going to be much higher than -40F, even worse for the newer diesels with a 2 micron fuel filter. I have the same setup as you do but with a regulated return. Clux has mentioned it a few times how his Powerstroke no longer has had gelling problems after installing the regulated return.

I use #2 diesel with Schaeffer's winterized dieseltreat up here in Sioux Falls and have not had any problems. BUT -my truck is in the garage at night so that is a big difference. If it was going to be parked outside I would probably use a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 and an additive to compensate for the #1's lack of lubricity.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 PM
clux
Post Fiend
If you have wax precipitate, it's going to plug the first filter it comes to. The advantage of the stock filter is that it has a heater and it's on top of the engine where it gets some heat anyway. Before I had a pre-pump filter I would clog at the screen on the intake to the pump. I have a heater on my pre-pump filter and turning it on definitely makes a difference when it's cold enough to gel fuel.

A regulated return will help if you let it idle for a while and return warm fuel to the tank. Just saying, if you're looking for a reason............................

Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Here is Powerservice and some others mixed with #2 diesel after sitting out all night when the OAT is -5F. You can easily see the wax drop out.

Here is a 50/50 mix of #1 diesel and #2 diesel OAT -7F, hardly any drop out to be concerned over, just a thin layer coating the bottom and easily dissolved back into solution.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Clux has mentioned it a few times how his Powerstroke no longer has had gelling problems after installing the regulated return.
I wouldn't say that it won't gel, but regulated return definitely helped solve the problems I acquired after I removed the in tank mixing chamber. I got caught with a completely full tank of straight #2 (with some anti-gel added) earlier this winter and it definitely will gel or ice my pre-pump filter if the filter heater isn't turned on. But I can overcome it if I let it idle and warm the fuel in the tank up.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Why not add a a couple gallons of gasoline to the tank?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by clux
If you have wax precipitate, it's going to plug the first filter it comes to. The advantage of the stock filter is that it has a heater and it's on top of the engine where it gets some heat anyway. Before I had a pre-pump filter I would clog at the screen on the intake to the pump. I have a heater on my pre-pump filter and turning it on definitely makes a difference when it's cold enough to gel fuel.

A regulated return will help if you let it idle for a while and return warm fuel to the tank. Just saying, if you're looking for a reason............................

Clux,

What are you using for the heater on the pre-pump filter? Sounds like a great idea........

Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Clux,

What are you using for the heater on the pre-pump filter? Sounds like a great idea........
My pre-pump filter is the stock fuel filter from a 2002 dodge cummins ISB, I wired up the fuel heater on a dash switch.

Quick Reply: Is my external fuel filter making it easier to have gelled fuel?