Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: BPofMD

Coolant Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Blade79
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak Help

Can anyone help me out here. I started the truck the other day to let it run for a while. Once it got up to temp I noticed a steady stream of coolant flowing under the truck. I found coolant bubbling up as shown in the pic. right behind the water pump. Went back last night to clean it all off and take a good look. I noticed there is a part that bolts into the block where it is leaking. what is that part and is this a major problem or a simple pull the pump off, clean everything and new gaskets deal (which I'm hopeing).

Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
is it coming from between the block and timing cover, or between the timing cover and the water pump? is the bypass hose that goes between the water pump and the thermostat houseing leaking, and making it look like it's leaking somewhere else? a new water pump for your truck is less than $30, and comes with a new gasket.timing cover gasket usually don't leak coolant, but if you have to tear it down that far, you might as well put in a new timing chain.hardest part of the water pump change is that the bolts usually want to twist off.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Blade79
Elder User
Thanks Charlie. I double check the hoses and they are pretty new(er) and no leaks or cracks in them. I'm planning on geting some help and pulling it off next weekend. Was thinkin about replacing the pump just to be on the safe side but I am sure after cleaning it off and doing a little more searching online today (instead of working) that it is the timing chain cover that is leakingright there at the block. I will take another picture tonight so you can see it better without all the gunk in the way.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Blade79
Thanks Charlie. I double check the hoses and they are pretty new(er) and no leaks or cracks in them. I'm planning on geting some help and pulling it off next weekend. Was thinkin about replacing the pump just to be on the safe side but I am sure after cleaning it off and doing a little more searching online today (instead of working) that it is the timing chain cover that is leakingright there at the block. I will take another picture tonight so you can see it better without all the gunk in the way.
if you need to bring the truck over here, let me know, I'm sure Bud will come over. be a working gtg. hahahaha

Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could be the intake leaking ~~~

Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 PM
MD05
Senior User
Making a diagnosis from a photo is realy tough. Head gasket, water pump, hoses are all good choices. Might be something as simple as a loose hose clamp too.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
if you need to bring the truck over here, let me know, I'm sure Bud will come over. be a working gtg. hahahaha
....depending on the outside air temp!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by BPofMD
....depending on the outside air temp!
and wet factor!!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What engine are you working with here?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
it's a 5.8 chris

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Surge08
Post Fiend
it's a 5.8 chris
Thanks

Originally Posted by MD05
Making a diagnosis from a photo is realy tough. Head gasket, water pump, hoses are all good choices. Might be something as simple as a loose hose clamp too.
Agreed

Originally Posted by jr32560
could be the intake leaking ~~~
Possible

is it coming from between the block and timing cover, or between the timing cover and the water pump? is the bypass hose that goes between the water pump and the thermostat houseing leaking, and making it look like it's leaking somewhere else? a new water pump for your truck is less than $30, and comes with a new gasket.timing cover gasket usually don't leak coolant, but if you have to tear it down that far, you might as well put in a new timing chain.hardest part of the water pump change is that the bolts usually want to twist off.
I would doubt between the cover and water pump as I would suspect it mixing with the oil. I would agree with both intake and thermostat but start with the cheaper route and rent a pressure tester to pressurize the system to find the culprit. Autozone does rent them for $75 but when you return the tool you get the $75 back. Do not exceed the pressure rated at 13 psi.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

You can use your credit card and they do NOT charge the card - UNLESS you do not return the equipment in the designated time.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
You can use your credit card and they do NOT charge the card - UNLESS you do not return the equipment in the designated time.
Actually they do place a hold of the funds of that amount for 2-3 Business days days then release it.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

A hold, yes. But they do not collect on it. The hold is just to make sure you have a good account..... Yes, it does count against your authorized limit.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
A hold, yes. But they do not collect on it. The hold is just to make sure you have a good account..... Yes, it does count against your authorized limit.
They do in fact collect on it as the funds are removed from the account but then returned in 2-3 business days. So if you need the money back right away pay cash and you will have a same day return in funds.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Help